VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, my buddies and I are leaving for the Ozarks in 3 weeks. I'm looking for suggestions on places to go and see. If anyone has been there please give me some ideas.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Was there yesterday, lots of nice roads there.

Reactions: FoFo and MagVic CCT

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Arkansas has some really nice state parks with great vista's and some have some interesting riding to get into the park. I particularly like Petit Jean, Mt. Nebo, and Mt. Magazine. Eureka springs is a must see and the glass cathedral is interesting. There's an Elk herd in Ark. Start at Ponca. Even if you don't care about the Elk, Ponca is a neat little burg set in a valley. Beautiful. The ride along the Buffalo River is nice.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
One of my favorites is related to a personal "I want to do that someday", but you still might find it fun and interesting. Anyway, Murfreesburough is where the crater of diamonds is. You go there and dig for diamonds and other things. It is not a spectacular ride, but a great place to go have some fun for a day if you have a little latent rock hound in you..One thing we just stumbled upon while there was the races. They have a dirt track there and the usual entertainment with various races, demolition derby, figure 8's and so on. It was cheap, loud and lots of fun. A regular Hill Billie heaven. We just happened to be riding by as the parking lot was filling up. And, me, I can't resist poking my nose in to see what's up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
get one of these. I like why 123 around and south of Mt. Judea. Hey 341, push mountain is another. Hwy 125 has a free ferry across bull shoals lake. South MO has a bunch of good roads too, like why 160, 76, and over around cassville. Also why 19 and the area round elephant rocks state park. Also nice roads along the Missouri river, from Jeff city east. Bonnots Mill, frankenstein, Herman, Washington, etc. Happy Trails!

Ozarks Motorcycle Maps - Butler Motorcycle Maps

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
You should do well. The wife and I are and were able to cover a lot of ground in three days. Ark. an Mo (the southern part) is not so big that it's hard to make time. And we don't really get in a hurry.

Where are you coming from? There's the Talimena ride if you've not done that before. Or in your case it might be the Menatali ride. Mena , Ark. to Talihena , Ok. You have choices. Have fun!

Injecting a little humor mixed with truth: I like to head down side roads where something like the terrain, or a sign or whatever catches my attention. My wife is a bit more conservative and prefers to stick with the "plan". I can't tell you exactly where it is, but according to my wife, we have been by Freddie Kruger's house a number of times.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm anxious to hit the trails and back roads here in Arkansas as well...just getting back into riding again.

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should do well. The wife and I are and were able to cover a lot of ground in three days. Ark. an Mo (the southern part) is not so big that it's hard to make time. And we don't really get in a hurry.

Where are you coming from? There's the Talimena ride if you've not done that before. Or in your case it might be the Menatali ride. Mena , Ark. to Talihena , Ok. You have choices. Have fun!

Injecting a little humor mixed with truth: I like to head down side roads where something like the terrain, or a sign or whatever catches my attention. My wife is a bit more conservative and prefers to stick with the "plan". I can't tell you exactly where it is, but according to my wife, we have been by Freddie Kruger's house a number of times.
Leaving from Ohio.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a native Arkansan been riding 50 years. All previous suggestions are good especially hwy 123 from Lurton to Mt Judea then take 374 back up to hwy 7. Don't get much better than that. If you get to ride the famous 'Pig Trail' hwy 23 north from I-40, take hwy 215 east to Oark. That's a beautiful ride with scenic views overlooking the Mulberry river and theres a 100 yr old general store in Oark that serves a great burger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mammoth Springs on the Arkansas/Missouri border at Thayer. Missouri highway 19 south from I-44. Alley Springs just east of Eminence Missouri and Round Springs just north of Eminence.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Generally speaking, there are lots of good roads if you draw a line between Saint Louis, Columbia, MO to McAlyster, OK to Little Rock, AR and back up to St. Louis. Some of those 'letter' roads in Missouri, even through farm country, can be beautiful and challenging and not a lot of traffic.
You can look at the largest springs in missouri and arkansas and then ride from spring to spring. Ha Ha Tonka springs, Mammoth Springs, Alley Springs, Round Springs, just to name a few. Elephant Rocks is a neat place to take a short hike.
Pedestal Rocks in Arkansas is another place to take a short hike. Again, that map from Butler motorcycle maps Ozark Region has been a big help. Also, if you just look at the maps you can tell the terrain. Mostly, the AR state maps has roads with blue dots and yellow dots and those are the byways and scenic roads....but why 123 is not included.
Good luck and safe riding!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
One place you might want to spend on a Friday night is Mountain View. It's really an art enclave and full of musicians. They gather on the town square during the summer and split up into groups and play and sing. It's a real town gathering! If like like gospel and folk music, it's a sight to behold. We're headed up there in late October; I hope they are still playing then, but it may be too cool for them. We usually rent a cabin up in a little community called 56. There's a deer feeder that draws the deer and they supply entertainment. It's beautiful country and riding is exceptional. The ride between Mountain View and Mountain Home is splendid.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok folks, my buddies and I are leaving for the Ozarks in 3 weeks. I'm looking for suggestions on places to go and see. If anyone has been there please give me some ideas.
Thanks
Are you going the Hot Springs Rally?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.