VOG Forum banner

HD Pan America review. She is a cutie, I meant the girl

8K views 70 replies 21 participants last post by  MoRider 
#1 ·

Nice review and even for HD impressive. we will see long term and will Indian respond???

#2 · (Edited)
Wow! Welcome HD ..........to the next century. Where have you been ?
All kidding aside .... I think they may have a winner there.

#3 ·
Wonder if theyll put that engine into a cruiser and/or sportsbike at some stage....Could be the Quantum Leap to drag them out of the pidgeonhole thyve put themselves in

Reactions: iabob
#4 ·
She IS a cutie yeah!....nice accent too

bike sounds like a sewing machine but, even with the Screaming Chicken pipe......

• Haha
Reactions: luckystryke
#6 ·
Looks like a nice bike.
Price is premium over other options as usual for HD.
Not sure how much that will hurt sales.

#7 ·
Compared to other bikes in the same category ? HD will price them selves into another slump. Way to go HD ...... keep making bikes no one can afford.

#11 ·
I don’t see this being their bail out by any means. But a move in the right direction. Impressive numbers on this drivetrain for sure. Personally not my cup of tea but a Good move for them. At this point they can no longer afford bad ones. Now let’s see if they sell

#16 ·
I don't see this being their bail out by any means. But a move in the right direction. Impressive numbers on this drivetrain for sure. Personally not my cup of tea but a Good move for them. At this point they can no longer afford bad ones. Now let's see if they sell
Well they wont sell to the Big Twin Purists and youths couldnt afford one. Adventure bike riders have plenty of much cheaper options.
I f I wanted to go ride the dirt I think Id buy an old big single Yammy 500 and/or a lightweight 2 stroke 250 from any of the leading Japanese brands.
This is a toy for the neuvo rich, mid age crisis crew to impress their friends and sell in 5 years with 150 miles on the clock!

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
#15 ·
I thought the FTR was going in this direction at one point, at least you cant confuse the Pan America with anything else, Kinda like the Vision.
Possibly this is HD's turn to spur on more competition. Be careful what you ask for you may get it from Indian.

I am not an Indian fan boy but can appreciate how far they have come. still true Blue Victory guy, just with out a Victory for now.

#48 ·
I thought the FTR was going in this direction at one point, at least you cant confuse the Pan America with anything else, Kinda like the Vision.
Possibly this is HD's turn to spur on more competition. Be careful what you ask for you may get it from Indian.

I am not an Indian fan boy but can appreciate how far they have come. still true Blue Victory guy, just with out a Victory for now.
Well in my humble opinion the FTR properly set up ,would eat this thing in real world off road conditions.
Whats the weight difference for a start?

#21 ·
For the rider that wants an all sound bike for touring and ability to hit the trails I think HD has done a remarkable job wit his bike. I was a big skeptic until I watched an extensive independent review of the PA and all it’s engineering and design features. It’s priced competitively with bikes having similar power and features. Like it was said before, they need to put that motor in a big cruiserer/ tourer to compete with Honda, Indian, and other big bikes that have 21st century tech.
There are less expensive options like V-Strom but they don’t have the power comfort and features for touring.
I hope this is the bump the HD needs to survive. Hate to lose an American Icon Brand. I love my VV but they are gone and I feel orphaned.

#22 ·
Being a former DUAL Sport rider with 2 DL1000 VStroms with 45,000 miles in agregate and 14 previous HD's - The PA could be a great all round practical sport bike for old guys with relaxed ergos, much like the BMW GS model I can see this being a winner for HD since to survive they need to develop different streams of revenue. Like I said 20 years ago, They are running out of mostly OLD FAT white guys who will pay the price for a Sunday ride to show off their paint and chrome at the dealership eating stale doughnuts and cold coffee. :^)

#24 ·
My gut feeling after the HOOPLAH is gone, sales will drop simply because there are other bikes that do it better and have a track record.
This motor will get dropped into their current bikes or a Bronx like bike. I think Indian is looking and saying no thanks. Good luck with that one.

#45 ·
Correct but still wouldn't lure
a BMW-isty away from the German AllRounder...no way not to a HD.
I wish them luck but they're on a sinking ship the way the company is run.

#26 ·
Sorry adv folks I just don’t get the niche, it’s mostly a street bike that can go on dirt roads only because of its dual sport tires. Reminds me of Jeeps with 6in of lift, bumpers made for rock crawling & 44 inch super swamper tires & they only drive it on dirt roads. If that’s the style you like than cool, but, if your trying to say that’s a capable off road motorcycle you should get back in ur jeep and drive back around that 4in deep water puddle on your way home. It’s a heavy pig and if truly out in the woods / trails it’s a hunk of $hit but was ok riding on the pavement there. Your not going to hop over anything bigger than your thigh on that bike, your not climbing up any steep, rooted or rocky hills esp if it’s muddy, your not going to skim across a creek bed & your deff not going to pick it up off the ground by yourself. Hell Rollin took a Vision more places than an adv bike would feel at home. It’s not an adventure anything if a lawn mower can go everywhere the bike could go, the perfect adv motorcycle was created & perfected many years ago.....it’s called a dual sport, If your old like me / you / us, getta KLR, WR, XR or an RMZ & go ride, if your a hipster getta adv bike

#28 ·
Thanks for proving my point Bob, rides on actual roads more than trails. They like the adv lifestyle and it’s just that, a lifestyle, same as all the beautiful, fast baggers ridden 350 miles per year that are garage queens but the owners are “bad ass bikers”. Is a big difference between a bike guy & a guy with a bike. It’s not what / how you ride it’s just the fact that you do ride.

#29 ·
Thanks for proving my point Bob, rides on actual roads more than trails. They like the adv lifestyle and it's just that, a lifestyle, same as all the beautiful, fast baggers ridden 350 miles per year that are garage queens but the owners are "bad ass bikers". Is a big difference between a bike guy & a guy with a bike. It's not what / how you ride it's just the fact that you do ride.
I think you read more into that than what I wrote. Here's a couple pics of my friends Rich and Tina...
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Plant

Tire Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Sky

#30 ·
Is cool they ride, is awesome they ride what they like. My thing is they market them as highly off road capable & they are just not. They have a place for sure, be a great option in many areas but gotta b careful not to get into somewhere you can’t get back out of esp if your alone. My cousin & I rode couple of scooters on same trail section that experts were racing a national enduro just because we could, wish I had the pics of their faces as we passed them through parts of that deer trail. I hate how they over market things but they do that with all sorts of everything, be great out west or desert but not in hilly / mountainous / tight / muddy areas

#31 ·
Is cool they ride, is awesome they ride what they like. My thing is they market them as highly off road capable & they are just not. They have a place for sure, be a great option in many areas but gotta b careful not to get into somewhere you can't get back out of esp if your alone. My cousin & I rode couple of scooters on same trail section that experts were racing a national enduro just because we could, wish I had the pics of their faces as we passed them through parts of that deer trail. I hate how they over market things but they do that with all sorts of everything, be great out west or desert but not in hilly / mountainous / tight / muddy areas
Mountainous hilly tight muddy areas you say?
Tire Plant Plant community Wheel Automotive tire

Cloud Sky People in nature Mountain Outdoor recreation

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Land vehicle

I take your point and agree with it though. Yes, the PanAmerica as with other brand's ADV bikes are over sold. As are other types of bikes like cruisers and sport bikes. No they are not as off road capable as a true dirt bike, but contrary to another members post, they are taken off road, they do go long distances, and they do get ridden hard. Regardless of how capable the bike, atv, or Jeep is, a smart guy never goes somewhere alone that he might need help getting out of. My friends do all their off roading in groups, makes for better stories around the campfire.

#32 · (Edited)
Am a product of my environment for sure hahaha, to anyone looking to get into that market ( esp if aged beyond 40 ) borrow, steal, beg or rent a dual sport & an adv bike then go ride the terrain your going to ride the most often for a whole day. Not a 5 min parking lot ride. Your current age, flexibility, physical strength, typography, skill level & which fastest highway cruising speeds are very important when choosing the correct non 100% pavement motorcycle. ( any motorcycle ) It’s extremely easy to blow a knee out when dabbin ur foot to stay upright, it’s also very embarrassing being trapped under your bike every time it falls over, you’ll loose friends after they grow tired of helping you pick it up ( if you have any friends with good knees & a strong back left ) if you ride in an rugged area a dual sports gonna be easier to ride, if you live in an mostly wide open area an adv bike may suite you well. Choose a bike best suited for your ability, the environment you’ll mostly ride & for the speeds you’ll mostly ride it. If your gonna ride roads that people can drive a low rider car on than an adv bike will do, if your going where 4wd is needed get a dual sport. We’re lucky to have a machine for every situation, not every machine can handle every situation though, be realistic , ride everything you can because ignorance hurts. Beautiful pics Bob, but those aren’t hills nor is that rough terrain or muddy. I’m pretty sure a Prius pulling a trailer could get up that road hahaha. Campfire times are the best times for sure, ride on everyone

Reactions: jwfuchs1
#34 ·
When ur wrong ur wrong, and I was wrong. After reevaluating many videos, reading more specs, reading more reviews from my kinda people, mostly removing MY preconceived feelings of going off pavement ( & getting over my manstration cycle ) but mostly reopening my mind I was able to imagine myself on that HD Special & some of the places I could take it. I live in the boonies & although I do ride the xct across some dirt roads, I could take an adv across all of them. The adv bikes do have a place & I’ve realized it’s actually a viable option for many places. For me, with side cases, tail / tank bag I think would make a great commuter bike that could bring home few groceries with, seating position will draw in former dirt bike people as it’s familiar. Of course it’s not a bike for expert enduro trails, not goin jump off cliff faces or over 25 ft wide creeks, not goin skim across ponds but only lunatics like me do that stuff anyway. I can see It’s place is between a street bike and a dual sport, if going to ride hellish terrain a dual sports still the right bike but as an almost 44 yr old guy with bad knees / hips / shoulders / & an iffy back, I could be comfortable on every back road & feel confident on most moderately challenging trails. Actually would be a great bike for my son, he’s not much into baggers or crotch rockets but that styles right up his alley. Again, I was wrong to hastily hate on all adv machines, I forgot to remove my woods riding style from the equation & change the formula to fit the different type of machine. I still say to know the terrain you’ll mostly ride, be realistic with ur flexibility / strength, know what what highest speeds you expect to cruise and ride both styles of bikes. ie dual sport / adv bikes. Be careful out there and whatever you ride, just enjoy the experience.

#37 ·
Like most 4 wheel drive trucks and such, Dual sports spend most of their time on pavement. I did for most of my 45,000 miles but it was so comfy and good handling for commuting an daily use it was my go to bike.. There is a gal who went from Alaska otr Ushia on a Yamaha125.. Countless others now are doing VERY long distance on scooters! Whod'a thunk. Back in the 70-80's we went down all manner of roads on our fat tired HD full dressers! I remember distinctly the lumpy bad road Ghost town of Bodie California. We weren't that specialized. We just did it! :badgrin:

#41 ·
Brave move piling into a segment where other brands are the market leaders.
If it came down to real adventure riding then they'd be shooting themselves in the foot but as mentioned, most 'adventure' bike riders trendy coffee in Service stations wearing all the gear. (Off) Road bikes that look the part.
That's why you see most Grand Cherokees and Range Rovers in car parks and motorways but if there's a documentary on with someone in the jungle or in the desert with a 4x4 it's Toyota Landcruiser.
Millenials don't give a toss about motorbikes, they're 'dangerous' and 'dirty' so manufacturers are chasing existing (old) customers using any means.
As far as I'm concerned the other brands will up their game and potentially poach Mr Pan America buyer away from Harley Davidson altogether.

#42 ·
A buddy and I went from California to Montrose Colorado a while back and crossed a thousand bikes along the way I would guess.

10 of those bikes were street bikes and 990 were adventure bikes.

Out west here, the adventure bikes are selling like hot cakes.

I had the 650 VSTROM and it was a good little bike but seemed a bit busy on the highway. I will admit like most adventure bikes it spent 99% of its life on the blacktop.

I hope Harley sells a boat load of those bikes and I hope Polaris jumps in with them.

I thought I read that Buell was going to get back into the Adventure bikes again also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.