Has anyone had experience dealing with repair/write-off from a wreck? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Has anyone had experience dealing with repair/write-off from a wreck?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by hunter3203, Jul 17, 2020.

1. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Victory Judge
    I had a wreck on my 2013 Judge a couple of weeks ago and am going through the process of getting an adjuster to look at it and getting it repaired. I initially thought the damage wasn't that bad, tank dented and a number of parts with scrapes. But, it turns out getting a dent out of a tank is a big deal and I'm being told isn't really possible. The tank alone costs $2500 and I'm beginning to wonder if they might just consider the whole thing a write-off.

Anyone know at what point they just decide to write-off a motorcycle? Is it a percentage of current value? Depending on where you look, my Judge is valued at $5,285-6,540.

2. walks35

walks35 Well-Known Member

2004 Victory Kingpin
    First off I hope you and anyone else involved are okay. That's more important than your ride.

Depends on your insurance. My daughter crushed the front end of her car within $250 of getting it called totaled and they fixed it. I had a guy in a parking lot drop his bike next to mine, fell on my left saddle bag, and split the leather and I got a check for $1100. No cash from my pocket. These were 16 year old bags.

They will play the numbers. If your bike is worth $5000 and it will take $4500 to fix it well that's what my company will do.

If they can low ball you with a pay out and take the bike and resell it as salvage to make a profit that's what they will do.

Sounds like you're in limbo until you get an answer back.

Good luck, let us know how it went.

3. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    You can get a parts list and shop for them yourself. Find them cheaper and show the adjuster to help your ratio because like you suggested they do run the numbers of value vs repair cost, going with the lesser.

I wrecked my Vision last year and we were able to buy some parts used to help the cost of repairs which ended up getting my bike repaired instead of totalled. I found a few things and sent them to my guy and I even bought a windshield out of pocket to help. I also left some scratches calling them "battle scars" which the adjuster was ok with. The
    adjuster was nice and let us do that saving my baby.

You can also ask how much it would be to buy it back if they total it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Most states it's 70% of the value is totaled.
    My CCT all cosmetic scratches the cost to fix was crazy high for plastic but insurance was wonderful to deal with they have a dedicated team that all ride. I ended up getting 69% of the value to fix it. Another $100 of parts damage would be over 70% and I would be trying to decide if it was worth the salvage title label to keep it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    Thanks everyone for the info. I have done some searching for parts and the really big problem is the tank. I've found some used ones on Ebay but they're damaged as well so it looks like that will have to be a new replacement part and it's expensive. The other issue I have is I recently made the bad decision to increase my deductible to $1k so I'm looking for a higher repair bill and will then probably decide to live with some issues instead of fixing them, battle scars as VVB.

I'm ok. I had to get some stiches on my elbow and took a blow to my thigh that has caused some swelling. It will resolve itself over time or I may get some minor surgery to fix it.

The accident happened when someone moved over on me and then stopped. I ended up skidding and got thrown off the bike. I got my bell rung and nearly passed out. It all happened so quickly. I was only a couple of miles from my house so I just got a ride to the hospital. Several people stopped to help me and one called 911. For whatever reason they didn't send a cop out to write a report & I didn't want an ambulance. Since there wasn't a report written & I don't know who the idiot was that pulled over on me it's made the insurance process a lot more complicated than it should have been.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    And be aware that if you go through the route to repair it, it will have a permanent record of being wrecked and repaired so when you go to sell it the value is diminished which most insurance does not cover. Think about it, would you buy a bike if you knew it was in a wreck and repaired? There could be hidden frame damage. Steel frames can get tweeked in a wreck and when you go to take something off it could twist out of alignment and make it near impossible to re assemble. Don't ask me how I know!!!
    If you plan to keep it for a while then negotiate to get it repaired.
    If you are planning to sell or trade anytime soon and the insurance will total it then negotiate the best payout and upgrade your ride.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Very true. I had to think that over as well but I love my 13 to the point I don't see myself selling or trading it but I am aware if I do I will not be getting much at all for it. I bought it new so every mile, dent, ding, and scratch is mine. That was worth more to me at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IndyVictory

Yeah tank all of them they want $2k new doesn't matter if it's steel frame or cross bikes. I just kept the tiny dent in mine. Not really noticable unless you are looking for it and not worth it to me on a 8 year old bike to put new on. Someone was selling brand new steel frame tanks on Facebook while back for cheap. You might find a deal if you are patient.

9. hunter3203

hunter3203 Member

2013 Victory Judge
    If it was a tiny dent I would probably keep it. It's about 5" x 7" and is fairly deep. The handlebars rotated downward and then drug across the top of the tank. Since it didn't damage any of the normal creases in the tank I originally thought it would be fairly easy and cheap to fix. But I talked with a guy at a repair shop and his first comment to me was that my tank was toast. The metal is fairly thin and stretched with the dent and would stretch again with a repair, perhaps even tearing if a stud gun was used to pull the dent. Anyway, a tank is not something you want with thin metal.

10. builderswife

builderswife Active Member

2008 Victory Kingpin
    check the rules in your state for salvage titles.
    In some states once a bike is over 8 or tens years old they no longer label the title as salvage.
    A friend of mine had his bike totaled since it was under water in Sandy.
    Even though the ins company considered it totaled and they paid him more than he thought it was worth the title was never updated or changed. They gave him the option of keeping it and only charged him $200 to keep it.

He really loved that bike he and my husband ended up replacing every electrical component on the bike as well as a few other odds and ends including all wiring harnesses. He rode that bike another 40k with zero issues and sold it a few years ago to a friend of his. He did inform the guy about the full history. The guy confirmed that when he registered it and got the new title it does not say anything about salvage or rebuilt anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  11. IndyVictory

Good point on salvage titles. I've only read it online but getting an inspection after repairs are done is supposed to be another way to remove the salvage label on the title. That also varies between states.
    You can get insurance on a salvage title but only basic liability.