VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm currently running tri-ovals on my 13' XC. I've heard some sound clips of the big honkers and they sound pretty good (deep with good bite on the throttle). My wife thought they sounded pretty good too. My question is, are they significantly louder than the tri-ovals?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Hi Folks,

I'm currently running tri-ovals on my 13' XC. I've heard some sound clips of the big honkers and they sound pretty good (deep with good bite on the throttle). My wife thought they sounded pretty good too. My question is, are they significantly louder than the tri-ovals?

Thanks!
The Big Honker mufflers are whole lot LOUDER than the Tri-Ovals mufflers. I would not recommend the Big Honker for for long road trips.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i ran bassani pipes for 11k miles on the magnum, they are nice pipes but sadly they dont match the lines of the stock head pipes. they run well though. no drone on the highway or roads.

i now run the tri-ovals. I am extremely happy with the sound and performance. (side note: i do run the lloyds high flow air filter, lloyds tuner, and lloyds timing wheel)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Folks,

Thanks!
I just put a set of Big Honkers on and real happy with the sound, WD and Arlen Ness just had a sale on them and I couldn't pass it up. They have a great deep sound taking off and cruising the sound didn't bother me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks. I saw the WD sale but I was a day late and dollar short so if I want them I'd have to pay $450. I think I'll keep an eye out and grab a pair if I come across a deal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I ran Big Honkers for 3 years on my CCT and switched to tri-ovals last fall because of the noise. Maybe just getting older and neighbors probable didn't like it at 0400 in the morning on my way to work. Loved the sound but just too much for me now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Loud is very different from person to person, and circumstances also play a role in what is considered “loud” (neighbors, city ordinance, wife). Big Honkers were on my bike when I bought it, liked the sound, but at the end of the day without ear plugs my ears would ring for hours. Had my bike dyno tuned by Kevin X and he flat out said mine would be the loudest of the day, he was right. Wound up with Tri-Ovals, but for me they were not a deep enough sound, so I got a set of Rajun Cajun Low & Throaty. For me the perfect blend of deep sound without the drone of Big Honkers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Loud is very different from person to person, and circumstances also play a role in what is considered "loud" (neighbors, city ordinance, wife). Big Honkers were on my bike when I bought it, liked the sound, but at the end of the day without ear plugs my ears would ring for hours. Had my bike dyno tuned by Kevin X and he flat out said mine would be the loudest of the day, he was right. Wound up with Tri-Ovals, but for me they were not a deep enough sound, so I got a set of Rajun Cajun Low & Throaty. For me the perfect blend of deep sound without the drone of Big Honkers.
Thanks brother. I like the sound of the tri-ovals, I sometimes wish they had a little more punch. However, the wife and I tend to go for rather long rides most of the time and I take our son out for a ride once or twice a week. The last thing I want is an exhaust that ultimately annoys everyone except me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks folks. I saw the WD sale but I was a day late and dollar short so if I want them I'd have to pay $450. I think I'll keep an eye out and grab a pair if I come across a deal.
Arlen Ness had the same sale, I bought them from WD but they came straight from Arlen Ness, they also said I wouldn't get them for a month and they came in a week.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I've always had triovals...sometimes modified with the baffles replaced with straight pipe, and then back to stock baffles. I found that I get on the throttle more if the exhaust isn't too loud.
I heard a set of D&D's (wrapped) at the Vic Shop a couple years back and they have been calling to me ever since. They just sound better than the triovals in every way without being too loud. I got to hear my bike on the dyno right after the D&D's and I kept waiting for them to sound free and they would for about the last half second of the pull...Very deflating!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I just went from Tri-O's to Vance + Hines Hi-Outputs. I took months to decide what pipes I was going to go with and checked out every XC that had aftermarket exhaust. I think I've heard just about all of them that are made for the XC, the V+ H was the winner for me. These pipes never seem to go on sale; I found SSCustomCycle to be the best deal. At their site you enter your info and Shane will get back to you with a quote. I dealt with SSCC for many things on my previous bike. Their customer service is among the best.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As stated above significantly louder is objective. I have a ‘16 Magnum that I had the tri-ovals on from about 1k miles to 14k miles (about 1.5 years). Late last year I swapped them for a set of Big Honkers. I was looking for something louder but not overly obnoxious, they are just what I wanted. I would say the BH are almost twice as loud as the TO. My brother has a Dyna with VH longshot’s, his HD is about twice as loud at the BH.
If you are still unsure head out to a few bike nights and find some fellow Vic owners.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tri-oval without the baffles for the win!! My brother has big honkers and I got tri-ovals. I ripped the barffles out immediately, got way deeper sound and much better performance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had the big honkers on my bike since day 1 (2011) I as well as all my biker buds agree "great sound" you can sneak in and out of town by keeping the revs down but twist the throttle and they come to life. They have a deep mellow tone. I recently put on the beveled tips which are straight and they seem a bit louder. No problems on long trips and I've had many. Would absolutely recommend them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.