VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess some of you may have seen that Harley has raised it's prices on most 09 & 10 models by thousands of $, including the Street Glide (now $22,600) As somebody that may have to wait till next year to get a XC since most of 2010's in my area are sold out. I have a feeling Victory may up their prices for 2011 as well. What does everyone think? Anyone heard anything?

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
I just can't see that many folks buying 20+ grand bikes in the near future. Raising prices when sales are down IMHO is just a dumb thing to do.

There just are not that many "Gotta have a the Harley at any cost folks" out there anymore. Also tighter banking requirements will reduce those who can get borrowed.

300,000+ in 2008 to 225,000 units in 2009 and a projected shortfall again in 2010. Tough times for HOG. If their strategy doesn't work to recover revenue and backfires on them, they will bleed a lot of red ink.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I think Vic should hold their prices. If the big guy is increasing they should hold the line IMO. Vics cost model has to be lower than HD. Lets see how many Kool Aid drinkers stick with the motor company.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

With our dollar at par withyour US and the dealersup here are not reflecting that difference on their price tags, the bikes are still going out the door, in fact there is a waiting period to get a XCountry, the 2011's will be announced mid July. If they are selling more bikes up here for a higher return then they might just raise the US price to match the CDN gain even though our dollars are at par or the CDN being higher as speculated in the near furture.
They could be holding back on US orders to build CDN bikes to get a higher return in the long run.
This is just my opinion.
Friday - $1.00 USD = $1.0027CAD
OT

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

When our dollar was up in 08 I priced HD'salong withother bikes no one was coming down for the dollar, I don't see it happen this time aroundeither.
All I can say is bend over and grab your ankles because you know we are going too get F----D anyway. Jusy my $0.02 worth
Regards

·
Registered
657 Posts
Now that I have mine, I kind of hope that they do increase the price. it will make mine easier to sell when that time comes.

However, given the trouble all makes have had in selling their entire line, I doubt that prices will increase very much. I'll bet increases of less than 10%.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think now is the time to get what you want. Victory may raise prices in the future, but that is not what I am basing my opinion on. VAT is in the works for the US. If that passes the price of everything will skyrocket. If I didn't have a bike or a car that I wanted right now, I would go to dealer who does have what I want and get it. Just my opinion. VAT will make it more difficult to buy big ticket items; not to mention everyday items.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Per the conference call the pricing has already been restructured. They have already lowered the prices on several models and if there is any increase it would be minimal for the 2011 models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess my previous post was a false alarm. I looked at the HD website again later today and it looks like the prices have been changed back to what they were last week. I am guessing it was a glitch with the site but I imagine Milwaukee probably got a few animated calls on that one =0.

On a side note I talked to my Victory dealer today and found out there is no charge for freight or assembly on all Victory models. It's really nice to know that there is at least one brand that charges you a fair MSRP without extra fees! The HD dealership boasted that they could keep their fees under $800 and seemed pretty proud of that figure =/.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Inventor of the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle, Arthur Davidson , Died

and went to Heaven.

At the Gates, St. Peter told Arthur.'Since you've been such a Good Man
and Your Motorcycleshave Changed the World, Your Reward is, you can

Hang-Out with Anyone You Want to in Heaven.'

Arthur Thought About it for a Minute and then said,

'I want to Hang-Out with God.'

St. Peter Took Arthur to the Throne Room,
and Introduced Him to God.

God Recognized Arthur and Commented,'Okay, so you were

the One Who Invented the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle?'
Arthur said, 'Yeah, That's Me...'

God Commented: 'Well, what's the big Deal in Inventing Something that's
Pretty Unstable, Makes Noise and Pollution and Can't Run Without a Road?'

Arthur was a Bit Embarrassed, but Finally Spoke,

'Excuse me, but Aren't You the Inventor of Woman?'

God said, 'Ah, Yes.'
'Well,' said Arthur, 'Professional to Professional,
You Have Some Major Design Flaws in Your Invention ! :

1. There's Too Much Inconsistency in the Front-End Suspension~

2. It Chatters Constantly at High Speeds ~

3. Most of Rear Ends Are Too Soft and Wobble About Too Much ~

4. The Intake is Placed Way Too Close to the Exhaust ~

5. The Maintenance Costs Are Outrageous! ~

'Hmmmmm, You May Have Some Good Points There,
'Replied God, 'Hold On,'---->

God Went to His 'Celestial-Super-Computer',
Typed in a Few Words and Waited for the Results.

The Computer Printed-Out a Slip of Paper and God Read It ~

'Well, it May be True That My Invention is Flawed,' God Said to
Arthur, 'But According to These Numbers,

More Menare RidingMy Invention Than Yours'
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

matt7even said:
On a side note I talked to my Victory dealer today and found out there is no charge for freight or assembly on all Victory models. It's really nice to know that there is at least one brand that charges you a fair MSRP without extra fees! The HD dealership boasted that they could keep their fees under $800 and seemed pretty proud of that figure =/.
Several HD dealer dont charge for freight or assembly, that does not mean it does not exist. Every dealer I know is paying for freight and someone has to put the bike together. It should be included in the MSRP but it is not no matter what brand. If your dealer does not charge it is coming out of his profit and I would give him kudos. But if an HD dealer or any other dealer will do it for under $800.00 that is also fair. Two years ago Ride Now tried to add on an extra $1600.00 on my Vegas for that and they charged $1100 for my Honda.
It is just another thing you need to consider when negotiating a deal on a bike.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
advntrus said:
dsjr70 said:
Per the conference call the pricing has already been restructured. They have already lowered the prices on several models and if there is any increase it would be minimal for the 2011 models.
That would suprise me. They must be doing a pretty good job squezing their supliers then.
Shawn
or the decreased overhead... The cast frames are cheaper, with the X bikes out at such a low price they have to bring down the price on the welded frame bikes or dealers would be stuck with them. Now 2012 may be a different story...

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The squeezing can only go on so long, something is going to have to give. Most all the manufacturers I handle have taken 3 to 6% increases since Jan 01. If they don't take a price increase they may just shorten or reduce the discounts for the same effect.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am not buying a HD so if they raise it so be it if it stays the same thats ok as well. They need to do what they do. If Vic does an increase I think it would only be to the x bikes but I dont see it happening they were big on how they were 1K less then an HD so I am guessing it stays the same.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Shawn,

I really do hope you are right, but I'm not counting on the election results until I see them. Dick Morris says the Republicans will win control of at least the Senate and possibly the House, again, I hope that is true. Obama is starting to rally the troops for the mid-term election and that gives me a sick feeling. There are so many mindless robots out there ready to answer the call. You are right about the VAT for now. Let's hope the elections turn out the way the country needs them to.

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
Pressing suppliers for a cheaper rate really depends on the suppliers profit margin now. An example would be that I make belts for HD. I don't like the price they want to pay, I can just say "No thanks" and walk away.

The beauty of free enterprise is nobody can force you to build a thing for them. That is unless you were dumb enough to have them as your only client. In that case, you better be the only one that makes that part.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

Hey Shawn
In 2008 when a bike is $17, 900 in the good old USA which worked out to $18, 800 Canadian, I didn't see were the price dropped any, bike dealerup herewere asking around $ 24,000 plus tax, now tell me didn't get f-----d, and that is what I mean by bend over and grab your ankles.
The price will never reflect the true exchange rate and we will hear the same old story I bought when dollar was higher in USA and that is why I can't drop price (BS I say)
Regard

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
advntrus said:
dsjr70 said:
advntrus said:
dsjr70 said:
That would suprise me. They must be doing a pretty good job squezing their supliers then.
Shawn
or the decreased overhead... The cast frames are cheaper, with the X bikes out at such a low price they have to bring down the price on the welded frame bikes or dealers would be stuck with them. Now 2012 may be a different story...
The cast frames are really THAT much cheaper to make? I hadn't considered that.
Shawn
They are a ton cheaper then the welded. Just pour it and you are done, no welding or painting, just a little polishing.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Sutherland said:
Hey Shawn
In 2008 when a bike is $17, 900 in the good old USA which worked out to $18, 800 Canadian, I didn't see were the price dropped any, bike dealerup herewere asking around $ 24,000 plus tax, now tell me didn't get f-----d, and that is what I mean by bend over and grab your ankles.
The price will never reflect the true exchange rate and we will hear the same old story I bought when dollar was higher in USA and that is why I can't drop price (BS I say)
Regard
Sutherland,
I am just curious, how are the bike prices in comparision now? I know when I bought my first Vic in 2008 they were asking more then MSRP because bike sales were through the roof. Has it come down to a comparable level now?
Don

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.