Harley news | Page 126 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Harley news

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crosscountryla, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 HardBall. 2014 Flames High Ball
    Hey Bikeofbrads, what was the foundry mostly making? I worked for a while at one casting wheels for the rolling stock for Queensland's narrow gauge sugar cane trains network. Summer, 40°C outside the shed, 45° inside where I started shovelling casting sand, higher again where I ended up working on the casting pours. Long time ago, and I don't regret doing it, but I moved on pretty quick, other end of the temperature scale, an industrial gas place, running a dry ice press, filling CO2 cylinders, running the refrigeration plant to keep the CO2 liquid in the tanks, lumping the 50lb blocks of dry ice into a bandsaw for custom retail sales. All good clean fun, but the money was pretty good for the day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    It’s an iron foundry that made compressor parts, wheel cylinders for drum brakes, small engine pistons & few other pieces specific to varies manufacturers. Place did almost everything in house from having our own molding dept which machines piggybacked with sand box & an 2500 degree oven would create sand molds by compacting sand / high temp ovens baking until a “mold” was produced, fins / debris filed out, cores put in, blew out with compressed air & then glued together. ( we also made our own glue ) The “melt” side ( materials loaded into a huge furnace included scrap iron, pig iron, alloys & their blend of special sauce for our particular clients metallurgy needs ) 4 molds at a time were loaded onto trays had two sides so was really 8 at a time ( looked like a huge rotary oven ) and melted iron would be poured into the molds by a nozzle controlled by the royar operator. Up on the top deck we would use a huge ladle on a wench to transfer melted iron from the furnace to the royar feeding the nozzle operator. After the iron had cooled enough to become a “solid” piece ( not molten iron anymore ) the pieces were tumbled down a drum to break up all the leftover sand mold pieces, clean the new parts rough edges then be sorted & moved to the finishing dept which would further clean, remove burrs, inspect & grind off edges to whichever manufacturers needs before sent to them for final machining. It was extremely hot, dirty & hard work, most days I left 10-15lbs lighter than showed up & all was water weight. Would drink 2 gal of water in 8 hours & never pee, temps were always 120 Fahrenheit & hotter if were pouring the 2300-2500 degree Fahrenheit iron. Hots an understatement as my drive home was about 45min and when got home could still wring sweat out of my underwear. The air inside the building speckled, looked like glitter from all the sand, metal & alloys floating throughout the air but the money & benefits were great, the trade is truly a mans world from an older time in history, most machines, equipment & tools for the trade were from the 40’s through the early 70’s ( when I moved on to cleaner air to breath, less heat & less physical strain on my body ) very lil equipment had digital readouts as all were old analog dials, gauges, displays & we had to measure / weigh our own additives, changes settings for hotter / cooler molten iron for different parts require different mixes. Was many people who’d start on a Monday morning and quit before lunch that same day, some made it week or three but few lasted over 3yrs. I spent 12.5 years in that iron foundry world straight outta my 3 years in the army.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    Isn't the older generation usually in charge and makes changes that affects the younger people who have to deal with them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    I think you should of kept on doing it and worked till you're dead like the the older generations had to before your time. They would probably say the same about your generation. I'm joking though. But, you did prove my point that other people from your generation can't work either.

5. MoRider

MoRider Well-Known Member

2015 Road Glide Special
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Texasbaehr

Texasbaehr Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Vision Arlen Ness, Kawasaki Drifter 800
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MoRider

2015 Road Glide Special
    Yeah!

8. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country

9. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    At 21k, less after discounts or trade ins etc. the Livewire is probably a viable product. Not going to set any sales records but I’m also thinking of the 16,000 dollar electric scooter BMW just rolled out. If the worldwide market is consuming 1-2 million 2500-10,000 dollar e bikes and scooters, then Harley and BMW can make money capturing 2-3% of the market with something way too high priced for the masses. What I’m curious to see is since Harley spun LW off into its own new division, that must mean more new bikes coming besides Livewire One. What are they going to fill out a lineup with?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MoRider

2015 Road Glide Special
    Good question . I wish I worked at the Product Development Center

11. Bikesofbrads

That’s lil biased, has been lazy people since was people

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MoRider

2015 Road Glide Special

• Like Like x 3
  13. Bikesofbrads

Move forward or be left behind, looks like their getting it back together again

14. MoRider

2015 Road Glide Special
    Yes and they are keeping the price right

• Like Like x 2
  15. MoRider

2015 Road Glide Special