Harley news | Page 125 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Harley news

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crosscountryla, Feb 1, 2017.

1. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2010 Victory Cross Country
    To each their own but the S&S cams from Vic are epa compliant and under-perform. If you truly are interested in horsepower above 3k the S&S aren't the ticket. The Lloydz VM1's are superior and the HPT's are the high rpm cam.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Would still like to see the specs. Was under the impression that S&S offered a different cam than they sold through Victory. I missed a set of S&S 495s on ebay. I know Lloydz offers 495s not sure if that's the same grind as S&S I just want to know what the timing and duration without having to buy a set and spending the money to purchase them then install them, then having to attach degree wheel and a dial indicator to find out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    The S&S cams sold by Victory are the ones I was talking about. There are much better options out there.

4. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    May not find specs but the results are everywhere through dyno sheets using almost every combo that worked published by TVS, Llyods & @RT Thor has lots of great great great info

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    This is truth. But like many threads, I think there is a little confusion going on here. When someone says, “S&S cams...” that doesn’t mean the same thing to every reader. For years S&S manufactured aftermarket cams sold direct to the consumer for Victory motorcycles. The 495’s were probably the most popular, and an excellent choice for big bore/ higher compression builds. That’s one. But two is I think in 2016 Victory started offering a “Stage 2 cam” upgrade, and for obvious reasons it was marketed as an S&S cam. But this was sold through Victory as a factory upgrade, not the same as S&S’s earlier aftermarket offerings.

Now here’s the head banger. The “S&S Stage 2 cams” upgrade offered by Victory was a nice upgrade. 10-20% improvement in tq and hp. And 50 state emissions legal. So why the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK wasn’t it just plain stock??? Was it because a stock Cross Country with 10-20% more hp and tq just made the Chieftain look weak? Gee, do you think Victory would have sold more Cross bikes with 10-20% more power stock??? Boneheads.

Back to Harley news...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bikesofbrads

@iabob Nicely said, I saw glimmers of the flag & started hearing the anthem while reading that. That S & S kerfuckal does cause most the confusion on their cams.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MoRider

MoRider Well-Known Member

2015 Road Glide Special
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

2013 HardBall. 2014 Flames High Ball
    In Oz, the S&S cams and associated new twin snorkel airbox lid were publicised on the Victory Oz website, with an email alert to existing owners in late December 2016, then in January 2017.........
    I rang the Brisbane Vic shop as soon as I heard of the brand shut down, but all stock had been sold the day before, with no more coming. Doh!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Bikesofbrads

@Obi Steve Sounds like my luck, I’m absolutely elated with my xct, is in my top 3 motorcycles I’ve ever owned ( outta 30 ish ) IF, & I mean a huge “if” my xct ever needs replaced it would prob be with a challenger made into a road master wearing Victory badging. Even though it has much less storage, is uglier, has an infotainment system that’ll quickly become outdated & become a useless object taking up space on the dash. The xct gets an updated gps, tpms screen, nav & lots of other handy apps every 3-5 yrs when I get a new phone plus it’s stereo system is easily upgradable or to replace without needing a degree in electrical engineering. I also like the Vics older school engine tech as it’s simpler for normal folk to work on, all the electrical stuff is nifty but when it goes wrong you have no choice but to haul it to the dealership and take a good old fashioned gang rapping at $100-$125 per hour & nothing ever breaks close to home, on a nice day or during daylight so there’s all that before getting it to a shop. We’ve put almost 17 thousand miles on her in 13.5 months, 3300 miles in last 30 days so we be riding her often. Anyway, I do wish HD a great future ( as an iconic American company & maker of beautiful machines ) & I hope both HD & Indian keep moving forward with water cooled engines in all their bikes, they could keep a “heritage” line but the air cooled, stereotypical rough & rowdy biker days are ending & sadly the younger tech savvy, mechanically inept, buys everything online, I want it now hipster kids are becoming adults and like when I was young, heritage just wasn’t my thing, I didn’t want a an old springer style front end I wanted a set of fully adjustable front forks & rear shock ( still do ). The next gen doesn’t do manual labor like we did so they’re not as strong therefore a big, heavy machine isn’t an option. Seems like most younger people doesn’t enjoy driving an automobile like we did, from age 10 we couldn’t wait until we could drive legally, that feeling of freedom & adventure was unparalleled and I just don’t see the same enthusiasm in the next group ( not for driving or riding ) they want autonomous vehicles so they can watch tic toc while traveling as they become more & more disengaged from reality.....virtually!!!

• Like Like x 3
  10. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Yep. You said a mouthful……..

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bikesofbrads

I noticed that too lol, @ least my daily rants outta the way and now it’s some1 else’s turn

• Like Like x 1
  12. WHITE_VIC

WHITE_VIC Well-Known Member

Victory cross country
    Your generation didn't do as much manual labor as generation before you. I'm guessing you don't do as much work as you think you do and you probably couldn't hardly work an 8 hour day. Who gives a crap what the next generation is into doing for fun. Let them decide. As roads are getting more crowded and boomers suck at driving, I don't blame them for caring about motorcycles as much

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I would say my 30’s year old kids are doing about the same labor as I did. The difference is they don’t have the opportunities I had. Did we do that to them or Did they do that to themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bikesofbrads

Now that’s funny, if you wanna walk a mile in my shoes come on down, today, no I don’t do the same physical labor I did 10 yrs ago that I did for 12 in an iron foundry. Not many can keep my dirt road, farm work inspired pace of manual labor but if ur feeling up to a good sweat come on down & show me a thing or two

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    36668B45-D4D3-46F9-A6B9-2DBE0160F778.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4