Harley news | Page 122 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Harley news

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crosscountryla, Feb 1, 2017.

1. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Kingpin
    Just an opinion, but I don’t think it can be called a fad. The modern ADV bike isn’t all that far off from Enduro bikes that have been around about as long as dirt bikes. As a market segment it has probably been the longest sustained growth of any other type of motorcycle. If any part of the larger motorcycle market can be labeled a fad, it’s probably the heavy American V-twin cruiser. If fads can last 30-40 years. If we go back to the 70’s-80’s, Harley was basically dead. Then in the 90’s, growth economy, a lot of new wealth, dressing up like a 1%er and riding a Harley became cool. 90’s through 2010’s the American v-twin market exploded. It seems to be cooling off now so fad, but long term fad?

ADV bikes on the other hand, huge growth for at least the last decade. Sustainable or will it fade like v-twins? No clue, probably won’t know for another decade or two.

On a slightly related note, I never understood why Harley, and the Harley wannabes at Polaris, insisted on being only a heavy cruiser company. When I look at BMW, Ducati, Honda, and pretty much all other brands...lots of different types of bikes. I kinda get that Harley was unfortunately painted into a corner for a long time, but Polaris? C’mon! Victory should have had starter bikes, dirt bikes, ADV bikes, sport bikes....I see no reason why Victory couldn’t compete in all markets. At least Harley is trying to get out of that corner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MoRider

MoRider Well-Known Member

2015 Road Glide Special
    I know with Harley it's about the money. The Street bikes were loss leaders. Polaris is only making a 5% margin on Indians right now according to their quarterly reports so if they came out with an American assembled small bike it would surprise me.

3. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
  4. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    @slickvic Man I wish I knew, Slick. Yer probably gonna have to take one to a shop/parts store and match it up. Start a new thread, dude. Maybe someone knows. I know I would like to know!

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    This kinda segways into why I think they choked a huge opportunity with Victory. Polaris has had international suppliers including engines for basically its entire existence. Would anyone have said boo about 125, 250, 450 cc dirt bikes made with outsourced engines under the Victory banner? I think it’s a harder sell under Indian so agree there, must adhere to heritage at all costs to appease the Harley die hard. But with Victory they had a clean slate. We coulda had our Vic’s, and outsourced Rebel-esque starter bikes, a dirt line, an ADV line...they could have branched out in many profitable ways and with a Victory badge on it it wouldn’t be considered blasphemy to the heritage of the brand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    I was actually talking more about the “fad” of an Adv by Harley. IMO it’s going to go the same as the VRod and the Buell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MoRider

2015 Road Glide Special
    I
    Agree 100%! Victory didn't have that heritage baggege to deal with. And Indian doesn't to an extent. Adam Sandvol thinks there's no market for the Pan America because he doesn't like ir

8. MoRider

2015 Road Glide Special
    So it's going to be around for 17 years about as long as Victories ?

9. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    No but may be able to get part # & cross reference it, I’ve heard Llyod comment it was a common part but not which one. Good luck holmie
    Back 2 the PA, the manufactures make what people will buy so as it is it will be. I noticed is a new bike made for every flavor, ie, dual sport, classics, cafe’s, moto x, super moto, adv, even 30’s-50’s style, with 8 billion people on the planet is an a$$ for every seat plus everyone knows fads never die they just become retro & vintage

10. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Gotcha. And agree. But maybe...One thing I see that separates the PanAm from the V-Rod is with the V-Rod they tried to sell a high revving water cooled engine to Harley Guy. With PanAm I don’t think they’re trying to convince the Harley faithful to try something new, they’re trying to convince a new market to try a Harley. I also think Buell got micro managed by corporates in suits who constrained him with uncompetitive motors for too many years. I admit though, I wasn’t around much, didn’t pay much attention to Buell’s so don’t really know why that didn’t succeed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bikesofbrads

I have the same hypothesis, get some of the other brands faithfuls to switch to HD, is tons of folks that ride street & dirt like myself. Dirt bike guys like the adv because the seating position is familiar so they are comfortable & more confident.

12. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Yup, similar thinking here. May be short-sighted of me or just thinking things won’t change, but find it hard to believe that HD will convert folks or even bring in new with an adventure bike. We shall see.

13. Bikesofbrads

I gave my sons girlfriend the bug ( 2 yrs ago when first met her she disliked motorcycles, said they’re extremely dangerous, would NEVER ride on one & that she didn’t like Trey ( my son ) riding them either ) now that she’s seen reality & realized her beliefs were unfounded she wants her own bike!!!! She’s 19 and TINY, only 5’3 & maybe 105lbs with winter clothes & a backpack full of rocks. We took her around to few bike shops so she could see all the variations / styles being made ( really is a great time to be a motorcyclist, every style imaginable straight from the factories) she likes the lil 125’s and is deciding between the Honda Grom & the Kawi Z 125. I’m humbled that my actions have changed her perception of the 2 wheeled world.

• Like Like x 4
  14. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Yeah I don’t have confidence in HD being up to the task. And of course I’ve been wrong many times, but I’m thinking HD doesn’t live long if they stay a one trick pony. Mind you, that doesn’t mean American V-twins die. I think if (huge if) Harley manages to grow itself into a diversified motorcycle company, then the traditional bikes will be #1 in their showrooms for a much longer time. Probably much longer than if that’s all they have to sell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. MoRider

2015 Road Glide Special