Harley-Davidson Is Developing a Supercharger | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Harley-Davidson Is Developing a Supercharger

Discussion in 'Garage' started by crosscountryla, Feb 6, 2021.

1. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    I think the HD supercharger idea is entirely to boost sales of spare parts, milking the cows so to speak, some HDs are in the shop a lot, some never, so it seems this is the perfect receipt for making more money on engine parts, i hear run-out of cranks is a big thing on HD, etc, etc.

I would love a HD in my garage, but if I did it would be bone stock, maybe breathing a bit better, but stock it would be

That's why they killed Victory, not enough parts sales for victory, just aftermarket from third party suppliers

I always said
    HD = hundred dollars
    Victory = vife hundred dollars

On aftermarket stuff ... But engine wise never a problem in Victorys

• Like Like x 2
  2. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Yes so Polaris / Victory marketed all wrong. They should have stayed on track with the reliability of Victory. Tweak designs after a few years. Advertised more and more “ Ride one and you’ll own one “
    Indian was a good move. Killing your own creation was not. I still say both brands ..... full steam ahead..... Challenger could have been the new Victory keeping the line progressing forward. We all know it’s not well received as an Indian. Doesn’t fit the silhouette sort a speak. The Vision, Cross country and Magnum bikes could have done so well with that motor. Making everyone look at Victory as a performance line from Polarass!
    In our local wigwam we see more Chiefs and Chieftains going out the door. Sales guys say too many don’t care for the looks of the Challenger. They came in to buy and Indian. A bike that looks like an Indian not a Harley. The full skirted fender bikes are still popular amongst those that want a new Indian ! Sure we know the demographic. The young guys are digging the Scout. I get it ..... it’s a great bike and comes in many styles. Good move.
    Still performance comes in more than just a motor. It has to have a face and a style. No American made bikes ever pulled it off except for Victory, HD Vrod,
    and the V8 bikes. Everything else is stuck in a time warp. They can get away from it. Boring.
    Every time I take out either one of my bikes it’s the same situation. There admirers of design and power. Comfort and ergos. Positive comments. Then the faithful step up. “ nope ! I ride Harley! “

Good on ya ! your due for a trade in arent ya ? Or maybe an overhaul ? New tshirt and bandanna ?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Most people I know that actually put miles on their bikes ride everything but HD’s. All the HD guys have garage queens, it’s proving the saying “ I’m a bike guy & NOT just a guy with a bike”. I have 2 co-workers with HD street glides, gorgeous bikes to look at, both are absolutely beautiful but one has only put like 800 miles on in a year & the other guy put about 1100 on his last year. They both already HD’s ( they barely rode ) before and traded up for the current bikes $18 & $19 thousand dollar 2018’s and they just SET while they dread the next service interval. We put 9500 miles on since May & will hit 10k before 1st yr of ownership is up hopefully. Glad I found Victory, just tires, oil & lil cable maintenance and go ride without a care in the world.

• Like Like x 2
  4. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Victory owners ride their bikes because they love to ride their bikes. Find reasons to ride their bikes...... are comfortable riding their bikes. They are not waiting for their bikes to be fixed. I say that because two of the guys we ride with every weekend have down bikes. Constant ongoing problems ...another dumped almost $40,000 in total into his street glide including the cost of the bike and it is now for sale! He can’t stand it anymore and he loves Harley Davidson so much that he would rather ride nothing then ride anything else. Had him teetering on a 2015 Magnum X1 2015 back when they first came out. Beautiful with those laser red graphics on black. Instead he listen to everyone else including his wife who complained every time she got on the back of that Harley and was miserable. Too bad he did a nice job in it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I’ll tell you something else that’s funny. We usually ride every weekend and I was asked once if I would ever let anyone else ride my motorcycle? I said sure. When they commented back “ OK when we stop we will switch”
    I said “that’s ok I’ve ridden them ....take it for a ride. I’ll be right here waiting.”
    Only Harley I’ve ever ridden that I liked was the Vrod. Oh and there was a cool little slim I liked too.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    I have no problem with HD guys. At all. If that is what you want and that is what you want to do, it's cool. As long as you aren't hurting anyone, do whatever you want. Enjoy it. For whatever reason, I never got on board with all of that. For me, it came down to the bikes, and frankly, they didn't do it for me. I just couldn't see paying that much for something I wasn't going to be overly happy with. And I am speaking from a performance and reliability standpoint. These parameters change the value equation and the math never added up correctly.

That said, there are a few bikes in the Harley lineup that still get my eye. Unfortunately, I cannot afford them. There are only a few that are in range that I really kinda like... The new Sport Glide (with the 114), The Low Rider S and the Fat Boy. I also like the Electra Glide Standard for value, BUT... Would I be happy with the 107? Probably not. The Heritage Classic is a nice bike too, and seems more reasonable from a cost and performance perspective.

But with all that hammered out - I still like my Vision more. I would rather put some money into keeping this old girl going! Now, if Harley starts doing more with the Liquid cooled engine - That would get my attention.

• Like Like x 1
  7. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    My friends are HD riders / guys. They are good people. Love all bikes. They come from all walks of bikes. They’re sucked into HD bad. They have more money than brains when it comes to HD. Spend it like crazy. Sometimes over and over again. I get it.
    Indians are ugly. Victory is gone Honda only has the Goldwing. Triumph too small. Rocket 3 too radical. I get it. I’ll stay on Victory. They see me ..... know me.....understand why. In a crazy kind of way I get the feeling they want one. Well one does. He said he’ll buy my wife’s magnum anytime. Don’t blame him.

• Like Like x 1