·
Registered
7,186 Posts
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 people

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
It appears that Harley is having at least something resembling success with their Softails, and with foreign markets. So at least their newer bikes are doing well. If I were an Indian fan I would be displeased to see their new bikes, the Chief Street Glide and the FTR 1200 are not doing well. If they added a Street Glide look-a-like to the lineup, and that lineup slumped so bad the FTR sales when added to it are still down, by double digits...ouch.

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Yup. Too many bikes priced over $20k. IMO, they need more bikes in the $13k and below range. But who wants to make a $500 profit, when they can make $5000 profit per bike?
Honda
Yamaha
Kawasaki
Suzuki
Triumph
Royal Enfield
BMW
KTM
Ducati
Moto Guzzi
Aprilla
MV Augusta
Ural
And a bunch of Chinese and Indian brands not sold here.

Reactions: zenwave

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 2 cents: Polaris should have kept Victory going and put that Victian engine in the Victory like originally planned and saved all that money they spend on a name.. The lower priced Victory would have been taking more market share by now than their bad decisions!

·
Registered
6 Posts
From a Riders perspective > Polaris / Indian LIne is quality MC's ... I own a Vic XCT and enjoy and love the bike ... I was considering purchasing a newer Machine ... Looked at HD ( again ) Goldwing , Indian and even a BMW ( touring Models ) .... But I have to agree that Touring Models are getting steep in Pricing .... alot ... to Build a Roadmaster comparable to the Vic I own it spikes to 37,000 ? .. HD the same , Goldwing is at 32,000 and bmw is at 36,000 ..... 35,000 to purchase a recreational machine is way out there and the manufacturers are asking why #'s are down ? Polaris to me made a mistake by dropping the Vic line they were a reliable , good quality and affordable machine, Polaris put a lot of apples in one crate and the New Challenger is 27,000 with no options and upgrading takes it to 33,000 ..... New riders coming up make sound economical decisions to a degree .... that is why you see a lot of scooters on the road .... The market is changing and they are pricing me out of the market and i am very financially sound .... Just an opinion from a older rider ( 50 years + of riding )

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I look around at all my options, and the more I see, the more I believe that it was maybe the worst blunder in motorcycle history to drop Victory. Kawi makes a fine bike for the price with the Voyager. Yamaha had a valiant effort with their new touring bike, but price got high. Harley.....well, that's just Harley...ffttt. Honda is certainly trying to find the sweet spot, but ....well, they just don't fit me. Bottom line, Still nothing anywhere in sight that will do what my Vic does at (and this includes the cams and associated extras) the money I have in it. The combination of power, comfort, control, etc is just not there (at a price that's close). Other bikes do some of the same things as good and even better, but not as a package. That was the magic of Victory. They had a very solid and workable package bike at prices that were considered by almost everybody to be reasonable.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Now, this talk about pricing and Victory's being "cheap" well, yes, base (and the base was well appointed) were good prices, and it seems that some accessories could be had with some dealing from some dealers in the early days. All good stuff. But, they could get pricey if the buyer wished.
Best example I have is my bike. The original owner paid just a hair over 28K out the door. But, he had every accessory and rack possible put on the bike, fenders, liners, stage one tune and exhaust, etc. I am grateful, but wouldn't have done it that way on a brand new bike from the dealer.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Now, this talk about pricing and Victory's being "cheap" well, yes, base (and the base was well appointed) were good prices, and it seems that some accessories could be had with some dealing from some dealers in the early days. All good stuff. But, they could get pricey if the buyer wished.
Best example I have is my bike. The original owner paid just a hair over 28K out the door. But, he had every accessory and rack possible put on the bike, fenders, liners, stage one tune and exhaust, etc. I am grateful, but wouldn't have done it that way on a brand new bike from the dealer.
What we're saying is comparable bikes are an easy 10k difference. Compare XCT to Roadmaster, Chieftain Elite to Magnum X1, etc., etc..

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
What we're saying is comparable bikes are an easy 10k difference. Compare XCT to Roadmaster, Chieftain Elite to Magnum X1, etc., etc..
Yeah, I didn't miss that. My point was that it was possible to spend close to 30K on a Victory, which, for me is a lot. No matter what bike it addresses.
Nothing to do with comparisons. I didn't make any.

Reactions: bikendad
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.