VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never noticed it before, until my dealers head mechanic pointed it out. My bike is hard to put in neutral while it is running. I have to by-pass neutral and go from first to second gear, and then touch it lightly back into neutral.While it is off ...no sweat. I just thought it was nomal because it was always that way. Anyone else have this experience?

· Registered
714 Posts
I just give mine a little throttle and it pops right in to neutral from first.

· Registered
839 Posts
that started happening to me after the bikes first service.just not all the time.if im rolling into a parking space i can pull the clutch and pop neutral everytime.did your tech try a clutch adjustment?that will be my next step.

· Registered
26 Posts
mine does exactly the same thing. I guess I've always assumed that it was the nature of the beast. I do the same to shift to neutral, one tap down in 2nd.

Maybe someone will have insight to whether or not this is an actual mechanical issue.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Ness Vegas with the same problem. The mechanic at the dealer said that that is normal and just to give it some throttle to get it in neutral. It takes a little to get used to but it's second nature now.

· Registered
4,468 Posts

Yes a little throttle makes it go in. I use Amsoil and have no issues. Kind of a joke, but true! :)

· Registered
7,210 Posts
I keep hearing this but I seldom go into neutral when running. I usually park/turn the bike off in first and then shift into neutral when the bike is off before hitting the starter. Just makes more sense to me to park in gear as the bike won't roll.

· Registered
4,468 Posts
what if you get stopped by a train, or long traffic light. Do you always keep in gear?

· Registered
7,210 Posts
bubba said:
what if you get stopped by a train, or long traffic light. Do you always keep in gear?
Not always but most usually. If it's going to be a long one, I just shut her down. I really havn't noticed a problem getting into neutral but maybe it's because I don't use it much?

· Registered
12,150 Posts
I notice more difficulties when I dont down shift into 1st before I stop. If I do downshift (and let the clutch out partially) it goes right into nuetral. When I only downshift to 2nd it is a ***** but I have gotten used to rolling to the light, slapping it into 1st then let out on the clutch to engage the tranny, then popping it into nuetral.

· Registered
421 Posts
I have trouble going into neutral too, but it does go in after shifting back and forth between first and second. So the only reason to change oil at 2500 miles is finding neutral? Maybe Bubba's Amsoil is the answer to that. How often do you change your oil Bubba?

· Registered
421 Posts
The new Dorsoduro I bought suggests you change oil every 20,000 km unless you ride in traffic or dusty conditions, then it is 10,000 km. That really means that you have to change at 10,000 km since everyone rides in traffic at least some of the time.

· Registered
1,675 Posts

bubba said:
In gear or shut off. Almost got rear ended a few times, I never take mine out of gear unless i'm parked.
Neutral is for pushing, I bought a Vic so I did'nt have to push :)

· Registered
4,468 Posts

elooker said:
I have trouble going into neutral too, but it does go in after shifting back and forth between first and second. So the only reason to change oil at 2500 miles is finding neutral? Maybe Bubba's Amsoil is the answer to that. How often do you change your oil Bubba?
I am pretty religiousabout changing it at no more than 3,000.let me tell you a little story.
I have used Amsoil since 2000 in all my bikes. A few years ago I won a Vic oil change kit. I had it about a year before I used it. Jump on the bike after a few days (I owned 2 bikes at the time) and thought something went bad with the engine. I could not believe the clatter. Went home and changed it againusing Amsoil.Have never had Vic oil in a bike unless it was new. Changed to Amsoil at the 500 mark. I have only had my clutch slip on me once. I was on my 02 TCD. I ran it hard racing my buddy on his KP all day. It slipped once hitting 3rd.
Others have had issues, maybe its just the way you ride. Don't know, it just works well for me.

· Registered
7,210 Posts
dsjr70 said:
I notice more difficulties when I dont down shift into 1st before I stop. If I do downshift (and let the clutch out partially) it goes right into nuetral. When I only downshift to 2nd it is a ***** but I have gotten used to rolling to the light, slapping it into 1st then let out on the clutch to engage the tranny, then popping it into nuetral.
I always keep her in gear at the light, as was taught to me in the MSF course. If you need to get out of the way of some idiot cager FAST, it's a real bad idea to be sitting there in neutral. I only go to neutral or shut her off if it's a severely long wait in a "parking lot" situation.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.