VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

Happy Anniversary VOG, Andy thanks to you and your group, you have done a great job. I joined last year to getinformationon Victory Motorcycles from The Riders as I had just bought a 08 Kingpin Custom. That I did, a wealth of helpfull information can be easily found here on this site forboth the pros and conson any oftheirmodels. What I didn't expect was the friends that I would make and meet on and off this site.
Thanks to Andy, his staffand the members of The VOG for making it what it is.
As Tony use to say "There Great"
Ride Safe: OneThumb

·
Registered
103 Posts
Add me to the list of appreciative users. Not many Victories in my neck-o-the-woods, so it's good to have a place like this to come.
I especially appreciate the way you keep things on track without seeming overbearing. I've bailed on a couple of rice burner forums because so many of the posts turned into to political rants.
The folks here seem to really want to support other riders. Even the frank discussion about how our brand could use improvement don't have a venomous flare. It sounds like people concerned about something they love.
OK, enough of the maudlin crap.
Good site!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Happy Birthday VOG!! Andy, you have done a great job setting up and running this site. It has slowly turned into the best motorcycle site for Victory riders and motorcycle enthusiasts.
Congratulations, you deserve a hand.
Phoenix9

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Thanks!

Without getting into too much detail, running this site has been a labor of love for me. Needless to say, like any new venture it has had its trials and tribulations...and its share of ups and downs.

Most notably, working with Victory from an Editorial side has not been the most fun part of this job. One would think they would embrace the thought of sites that, in effect, are promoting their business and assisting them in becoming a brand name in the industry.

That is simply not the case.

It's the folks on this site and the friendships I've made here that have given me the motivation to keep this place up and running. Trust me, it's not a money maker. My motivation in creating The VOG was simple...

When I first started shopping for a Vision and was seeking information on it online, I was a bit miffed at the shortage of coverage of Victory's products. Yes there are other sites out there, but in my opinion, they paled in comparison with the quality of the bike. (I'm not bashing here, I'm simply stating WHY I started this site). It was then I performed the due diligence in attempting to find the need for a site that could bring riders together to discuss the topics we had in common.

I've taken on the philosophy that although we are riders, we do have other topics of common interest. While I've heard from some VOG Members who have openly stated that this should be a "Bike Topic Only" site, I have taken a different path and have attempted to cover topics that could be of interest to the vast majority of those who frequent this site.

Since my background is as "The Gadget Guru" and spent a lifetime as a Journalist who covered the new products and recreational businesses, it's natural for me to want to bring some of my past expertise to this site.

While I realize that not every post will be enjoyed by everyone, I'm doing my best to keep the topics close to the ones that we, as riders, will appreciate.

The other factor that I've attempted to address is to encourage rider reviews. Let's face it, while there are a number of bike related magazines out there, the magazine business is not what it once was. (This is coming from a person who has not only written for numerous publications, but from one who has had his own magazine in the past). That's why I encourage riders to post honest reviews and not just ones that highlight the positive points.

In a down market such as this, since magazines are advertiser supported, I take the reviews I read with a grain of salt. There are some exceptions.

It's always been my theory that the only way to make things better is to not only highlight its strong points, but to point out the warts as well. This allows others who may be considering a purchase to understand both the pros and cons of ownership and go into a specific purchase with their eyes wide open. As I've said before and will surely say again, there is no such thing as a perfect product. It requires the input from the end users to let the manufacturers know what they are doing right and what needs improvement.

With that said, while I may have designed this site, it's the Members who have made this such as great place to hang out.

So, on this occasion of The VOG's 1st Birthday, allow me to take a moment to Thank YOU for your support of this site.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Congrats on a great first year...
I have been here a relatively short time (October) and have seen this site grow by leaps and bounds. As users we have strayed off the bike topics and have hit just about every topic except the "A" and the "R" topics (thanks). I think that is what makes this into a great community site. I've made some great friends (that I am sure will be around a long time) and some aquantances on this site. I've even had members call me after writing a post to discuss it (you know who you are). I can't say that about any other site. The honest reviews, not of the bikes, but of the accessories are the best feature and hearing problems and learning experiences of others is great for us that are constantly customizing...
Keep up the great work and here's to another year no matter where it brings us...

·
Registered
43 Posts

Happy Anniversary.
As a user, I find it extremely useful to talk to owners of a product before a purchase. I appreciate the honesty I have gleaned from this site and others. It is useful to have sites such as this one to attempt to make an educated decision about a product. It would be nice to see visable support to this site from Victory/Polaris themselves. Such as an "expert" to address concerns of their customer base instead of using automated answering systems. If you take care of your customers, they will know it and respond in kind. Y'all keep up the good work and once again thanks for everything you do in respect to victory knowledge.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

On this, the one year anniversary of the VOG I have some rather exciting news for Andy and all the members of this site… The VOG is now officially the Number 1 Victory orientated website (at least that I know of) in the world. It is on the upswing with an 80% in traffic and whooping up on its closest competition by a whopping 53%. Congratulations to everyone behind the scenes and the users that contributed to making this site the best of its kind.
With that said I take this site very personally and wonder why, with all it does to promote the Victory products, is it snubbed by Victory. For a site that has been online for a year and has surpassed the 7 year old site don't you think it should be linked to from the Victory website along with the other sites? Please see link:
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en...es/2010/Touring/VISION-TOUR/Pages/forums.aspx
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en...es/2010/Touring/VISION-TOUR/Pages/forums.aspx

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
stilcrazee said:
Thanks afor a great place Andy, Happy Anniversary. Are you celebrating with some Skyy?
He better not be celebrating with Skyy... That's all MINE!!! Besides Andy is a Firefly man now.... lol
I have to admit, that Firefly is great stuff! Who would have imagined Ice Tea Flavored Vodka would taste so great!

Disclamer: Don't drink and ride. (Okay, I said it).

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Don,

Victory snubs it's own customers so what's a web site snub to them?
Now, that's funny! True, but still funny!

And DSJR70, I don't know what to say. Believe it or not, I'm speechless. Numbers are numbers and it's nice when they reflect the work that goes in behind the scenes.

Alexa is one of the few ways the public can track the growth of various websites. While being 2,310,322 might not seem like much of an accomplishment, considering this site focuses on a very small slice of the pie and that those numbers are based on all the websites in the world, it's something that we all can take pride in.

As I've said before, it's the Members that make this place what it is. So this Birthday is a Thank You to YOU.

2,152 Registered VOG Members as of this moment and typically hundreds of Non-Registered folks surfing this site at any given moment. While I don't want to make this a "pitch," but hey, why not?

If you haven't registered for a FREE Membership yet, maybe Allison can convince you to take the plunge...

If she can't convince you, there's no way I can!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Another milestone that I thought is worth mentioning is at as of this moment, there's 4,227 images in our Gallery. And, they are "searchable" so finding images for a specific model is simplified.

Thanks to all who've taken the time to populate the Gallery and the Forums!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
One last thing...

I thought it might be appropriate to re-post the video that was used as one of the tools to launch this site. As you can tell from the music, it was produced before Zach Kamins put together The VOG Theme Song...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.