Hands on with the Victory Octane: An Inside View | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Hands on with the Victory Octane: An Inside View

Discussion in 'TheVOG.net News' started by NickJ, Feb 19, 2016.

1. NickJ

NickJ Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Indian Scout
    [​IMG]

The Victory Octane has been on your lips for months. The long lead-up to Feb 19th is finally over. The Victory Octane details are official.

The Octane shares the Indian Scout's basic setup and proportions, featuring a liquid-cooled 1179.3cc motor and a fully integrated radiator, however this machine is born to make power, not evoke nostalgia. The power plant pumps out 104 horsepower and 76 pound-feet of torque. It will get a quarter of a mile down the road in 12 seconds and read 60 mph on the speedo in under 4.

[​IMG]

We got a chance to hang out with the boys at Victory for some testing and shooting. I rode the bike on track and let me tell you, this thing can rip. I own a Scout and this bike felt a touch more nimble than the already-agile Scout. This is likely due to the tweaked suspension geometry and the 29.0 degrees of rake and 5.1 inches of trail. The rear shock sits more upright than the laid down attitude of the Scout.

[​IMG]

The Octane is able to pull power off of the bottom of the rev range with ease and will rocket up to speed in the blink of an eye. Stopping duties are taken care of by a single 298mm disc up front and one in the rear. The clamping power is not earth-shattering, but more than enough to competently pull down from speed in relative short order. We were on track for a photo shoot, so I was not able to rip the machines around quite like I wanted to as they needed to be photo ready. I didn't want to be the guy to wad one up before the photographer, Todd Williams, got what he needed.

[​IMG]

I was in charge of wearing the new off of the machines as they had zero miles on them. This entailed several laps of Harris Hill Raceway. Rolling on the power down the front stretch was something that I probably cannot explain without the use of profane and inappropriate words. Let me just tell you that it was good. Really good. It felt a little thicker with low end power than the Scout. It didn't have the same surge, but instead a very linear feel to the power band.

[​IMG]

The very capable Victory Stunt team burned through several rear tires while we were on the various sets. Talking to the boys, they were really amped on the new bike. There has been a lot of comparison to the Scout and it is a similar platform, yes, but in talking to the Victory Stunt Team riders, they felt like it was a very different bike to ride than the Scout. At Sturgis this last year, they took out a set of Scouts and said that it was a great bike, but just not for the things that they do. They talked about the Octane like it was a completely different bike. So if you don't trust me and my words, take it from the guys who literally ride bikes to their breaking point for a living.

[​IMG]

Joe and Tony both had their favorite attributes and configurations. Joe, tending toward one-wheel riding, liked the leverage that the tall (stock) bars gave him. He also said they absolutely HAD TO HAVE the accessory back rests because they made riding a wheelie so much easier. Take note guys: Wanna ride wheelies? Get a back rest.

[​IMG]

Tony liked to get low and kick the rear of the Octane out, so he liked to have some drag bars on it. Both raved about the power stating that "This summer is going to be fun!" These guys rode the ever-loving piss out of these machines on the street, the track. The Octanes never failed to perform in their hands either. There were ZERO failures, short of one broken license plate due to more than one or two exuberant wheelies.

[​IMG]

I personally did not get to log a lot of wild miles on the Octane, but what I saw them do was something special. The Octane is going to light some hair on fire. If you are on the fence about it, don't be. Get excited for the Octane. Go take a test ride. It is a stripped-down, bare-knuckle, Bronson-type. Victory has come to market with a power cruiser that compete, pound-for-pound and dollar-for-dollar with machines well above it's weight. Bring on the competition and let's see who hits the finish line first.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. NickJ

Indian Scout
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. 4Nines

4Nines Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Most of them

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. NickJ

Indian Scout
    New Video added to OP.

5. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    Great writeup Nick. It's refreshing to read something positive vs. all the hand wringing bluster in the 20 other threads where NO ONE has had a chance to ride it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. NickJ

Indian Scout
    Thanks man. The Scout is a good bike, and the Octane took it just a little bit further. Everyone wanted this bike to be the be-all and end-all, but we are in a very early phase of the product run, so this machine is a GREAT starting point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mjw930

mjw930 Well-Known Member

Octane
    I agree, the Scout really surprised me, so much so I bought one. The Octane takes the platform in a direction I would take the Scout so rather than throw a ton of money at the Scout I'm going to switch platforms this spring. I really like the direction Polaris is going and the price points are PERFECT!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Triumph Bonneville T120
    I ask this in all seriousness. Will you trade/sell your Scout for an Octane?

9. NickJ

Indian Scout
    Well considering that I am in the middle of a Scout Build, not yet... We will see. I like the Scout and have ridden the Octane. I like it as well so yes, ceritas peribum, I would consider it.

Edit: I have always maintained that they are a very similar bike, so it is something of a lateral move. The Scout was the Belle of the Ball in the moto journals last year, so why would saying that they are similar be a bad thing?!

10. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Triumph Bonneville T120
    Not a "bad" at all, but I'll admit I was hoping less for a cruiser and more for a standard. I guess a demo is in order. Do you know what the stock tires are? Are they as budget minded as the stock Scout tires?

11. NickJ

Indian Scout
    Well, I was hoping to hit the Powerball a few weeks ago... These are baby steps. A corp is a big and slow-moving entity. They are like a locomotive. Slow to start and powerful when they get going.

They were Victory-branded tires, so I assume that they are also produced by Kenda. The rears were smoked because burnouts for 3 days straight, so I cannot really confirm or deny. That being said, tires are a VERY easy upgrade. Break the bike in on them and stick your favorites on there.

12. robsvision

robsvision Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour
    Thanks for the write up Nick....
    I believe this is a good move for Victory.

Also I read that the Bore is a bit bigger on the Victory. That gave the motor more low end. Glade they made a small change so we don't get people saying the motors is just a Scout motor....

Also there is available piggyback rear gas shocks available.

Nice to see Victory moving the brand forward....

• Like Like x 2
  13. rodhotter

rodhotter Well-Known Member

2013 victory hammer
    for the money its an excellent value! the modern sized wheels alone makes it much better than the scouts tractor style setup. better shock angle for sure but most cheaper-damper rod forks are not so good. suspension being the same scout upgrades will be available i would think, brakes on scout were poor + with more power there should have been at least a 4 piston caliper up front if not two of the poor 2 piston units. unless they use bigger pistons they will surely lack. the problem is no aftermarket calipers yet, a single six piston caliper would be great as no xtra weight or big $$$$ when adding another, with needed fork mounting. overall the octane should kill scout sales!!!

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision
    If I was less than 5'10" tall and weighed 180 pounds I would most likely purchase one.

Nice write up NickJ

15. robsvision

robsvision Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour
    I'm only 5'7" and since owning a XCT every other bike out there is small and cramped.
    Victorys are big and long.
    I just keep thinking if I could talk my wife into it............ I could play with it once in a while. That would be fun.