VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I was initially looking at purchasing a Victory Hammer S, and got a ton of great feedback from members on this site regarding what their experiences were and what they thought about the bikes I was looking at and the reasons I was looking. I havesince fallen in love with the Ness Vegas Jackpot and pretty much decided that's what I'm going to get when the time comes butone of the members on the site brought up a great point that I hadn't thought of so I figured I'd ask the question.
What's the handling like on any of the Vegasseries bikes with the smaller front tire? Any feedback would be great. I think I'm going to go test drive some this week but wondered what the member experiences have been. Do they handle as well as bikes with standard sized front wheels? Has anyone noticed much of a difference on grooved highways or nasty road surfaces? How about tracking in corners? I was just curious. I probably won't get a good feel for much in a test ride and the feedback on this site is great.
Thanks in advance
Striker

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

Big back tire and small front tire looks cool but not the best combination for cornering. And yes grooved pavement will move you around more.
The 21" tire will also wear out a lot faster than the 18" tire.
The Hammer also has twin front disc brakes and an inverted fork so I quess it depends on how your going to ride the bike. If you like to drag your pegs in the corner then the Hammer will perform better than the Jackpot.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I have the Low with the 21" and it does pull a little more then most bikes but once you get used to it after a few rides it really becomes a non-issue. The only time I have a real concern is when they groove the road to put down new pavement but I have a similar problem on all my bikes in that condition.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I ride a Jackpot. It does handle differently and you will not have sportbike handling. I did a 150 mile ride yesterday through the winding Ozark hills - once you get used to it - no problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thank you. I certainly don't expect sportbike handling, I was just curious as to what the handling actually was. I've ridden some bikes where you get on grooved pavement and it feels like you're riding on ice. The bike is all squirely under you and it's just not a good feeling. I was really just trying to get a feel for what it was like compared to a standard wheel on a regular cruiser is all. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Rollin said:
Big back tire and small front tire looks cool but not the best combination for cornering. And yes grooved pavement will move you around more.
The 21" tire will also wear out a lot faster than the 18" tire.
The Hammer also has twin front disc brakes and an inverted fork so I quess it depends on how your going to ride the bike. If you like to drag your pegs in the corner then the Hammer will perform better than the Jackpot.
DITTO!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
From personal experience, the only bike I've owned that didn't get "squirrley" when riding over grooved pavement or over the drawbridge grates, was the Vision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wish I had more experiences with road bikes but my (07) Jackpot is the only road bike I have ever owned/ridden.My experience with bikes was justin motocross before I got into road riding. I heard a bitof negativity from magazines saying theJackpot was a tough bike and you basically had to man handle it through the corners but I still went with it because of the Victory reputation and the style of the bike. If I wanted to bomb through cornersI would have gotten a crotch rocket.I think it's a great cruising bike and handles well through turns from my experience with it.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

RJackpot said:
If I wanted to bomb through cornersI would have gotten a crotch rocket.I think it's a great cruising bike and handles well through turns from my experience with it.
I agree completely.My answer was based on stricker25's avartar. Nice R1 stricker!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If your worried about stuff going squirly underneath you.. then you should go with the Hammer. Compared to my previous bikes, i dont feel the grooves with my Hammer! Food for thought.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'm not concerned, I was just curious what the ride and handling was like. The comment about grooved roads etc was just an example. I've been riding(road and dirt) for a long time so I'm used to just about everything a bikecan do along with odd surfaces, but I've never had a bike with a thin 21' tire so I was just curious as to how it handled is all. Thank much for all the feedback though. It's all really good.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Vegas, the only thing that surprised me was med-slow town driving on a hot day. The tar they put in cracks & seams in the road would slide as you drove over it cornering. I'm aware of it now & watch for it on newer roads or freshly patched. Out on the road I never had an issue.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I noticed that also - you get that surfing feel. I thought it was my imagination.
DaGrey1 said:
I have a Vegas, the only thing that surprised me was med-slow town driving on a hot day. The tar they put in cracks & seams in the road would slide as you drove over it cornering. I'm aware of it now & watch for it on newer roads or freshly patched. Out on the road I never had an issue.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
SofaKingBlue said:
I noticed that also - you get that surfing feel. I thought it was my imagination.
DaGrey1 said:
I get that Surfing Feeling onmy Kingpin also, it just wants to follow that wave,I mean grove.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, the crack sealer they use can be bad. I live in upstate New York and they use that alot to seal the cracks in the road. On warm days you have to carefull no matter what bike you're on, they all will slide a little on that stuff. You have to be cautious around corners and be aware that the bike is going to "surf" a little. I always tell new riders to be especially careful on that stuff and be wary otherwise it can surprise people and throw them off mentally. It's a pretty standard road hazard in the northeast, just like gravel at the beginning of the season due to the winter salting and plowing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even my R1 which is as sure footed and stable a ride as you could ask for will surf a little on the sealer. When you live around here you try to avoid it as much as you can and be wary about how the bike will ride over it when you have to.

·
Registered
3 Posts

rocketman37 said:
I go over a drawbridge 2 times a day going to work and coming home. I don't feel any difference between my Vegas and the VTX I had. The Vegas handles much better than the VTX.
I traded in my VTX 1800 for my Jackpot and love the handling on the jackpot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.