Hammer vs V-Rod | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Hammer vs V-Rod

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by KeepRidin!, Sep 19, 2020.

1. KeepRidin!

KeepRidin! Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2008 Victory Vegas Jackpot
    This has probably been posted before, oh well. I didn't know Victory had so much more torque than the V-Rod.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    Seriously? The video is from 2010. Neither bike is currently in production.

The V-Rod is only 1250cc, obviously less torque... but it makes a bunch more HP because it revs to 8500 rpm.

A V-Rod will spank a Hammer in a drag race. The Hammer would be lucky to get in the 12s thru the 1/4 mile, while a V-Rod will get in the 11s... so the Hammer would lose the race by over 150 feet at the finish line.

The Hammer might win a 5th gear roll-on... at least until the V-Rod gets some rpm up.

That video was a BAD MOVE for Victory. Ever notice how Harley advertising never acknowledges that there ARE other brands?

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    Before I went Vic I tried out the V-rods.. wife and I took a factory test ride (friend worked at HD at the time) on a pair and they were a HOOT... the guy at the back of the pack knew we wanted to open them up so he let us lag waaaay back and really get on them... fast as hell (at the time) and a great ride.. but the seal-the-deal moment was when we got into normal traffic and had to do the speed limit. Biggest let-down on a test ride I think I've ever had. They're way more like sport bikes.. fun as long as you're keeping the throttle pegged 100% of the time.. a drag to ride if not. If someone gave me a V-rod I would humbly accept, sell it and go buy something that was actually fun to ride. Just my opinion. My first test ride on a Vic left me with my tongue hanging out.. I WANTED one. Putting around, whacking the throttle.. hitting the apex in a corner.. just the whole package. Real world test ride on a v-rod and a Hammer.. I think most ppl would agree the Hammer is just more 'fun'.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    It wasn’t a bad ad, I think if someone test rode both they probably liked the Hammer better. I demo’d the V-Rod and rode a friend’s on a few different occasions. Loved the motor but no love for the bike. Uncomfortable and awkward seating. Something to keep in mind with that beautiful motor though, less torque yes, but higher revs also means you can run shorter gears which means less torque launches the bike just as hard. When it comes to putting power down and drag racing your buddies, the V-Rod is pretty serious. It’s just too bad Harley was too concerned about protecting the existing lineup to pit that engine in a Sportster or Dyna. I think in an effort not to alienate the faithful they had to make the V-Rod a different enough bike so as to not compete with existing models. Shame as the result was a loveable motor in an unloveable bike.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Normal advertising 101. If you are on top (eg HD), you do not acknowledge that any other brands exist. If you do, that gives them legitimacy. If you are not on top, you call out the top brand and compel the reader/listener/watcher why your brand is better.

where I think Victory misstepped here is thinking the HD crowd accepted the VRod as a Harley. They don’t and never did. Would’ve been better to go after a Dyna or Breakout (not sure if they were around in 2010) or something more at the Harley base.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Funny thing about the V-Rod though. While it was never accepted as a “real” Harley by the loyalists, it had a production run from 2001-2017, longer than any Victory beating the Vegas by two years. So somebody was buying them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Deltaflash

Deltaflash Well-Known Member

Vision, Vrod, Vstrom
    Never been on a Hammer but I do own arguably the best VROD model that was made.

VRSCR VROD STREET ROD They bumped the HP up to 120 and 80 lb-ft of torque.
    The engine is super smooth and the bike is cat quick and very reliable. Love the bike for short trips around the neighborhood. I have modified mine mostly for comfort. I did do a fuel tuner. If the bike fits you physically and you want to have a screaming time, it is a great used bike option IMO.

The VRSCR Street Rod is the marker for that bet. It's a heavily revised version of the V-Rod cruiser series, though visually and technically it's obviously a family member. The 1130cc engine is status quo, but a host of chassis changes gives the Street Rod greater handling performance and more comfort via less-radical ergonomics, which move the bike from the cruiser category into what Harley calls the roadster genre. It's not the only Harley living at that address; the Sportster 1200R also bears the Roadster name.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...d-road-test/&usg=AOvVaw1LjUWDTjZd-vIBYKeasM9O

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...idson-vrscr/&usg=AOvVaw2UFNr4S9lvRHhaU3j7evQk

Stock Bike
    080720-underrated-harley-davidson-models-2006-vrscr-street-rod-768x576.jpg

My Bike
    P1000632 (2).JPG

The FTR 1200 has about the same power but is around 150 lbs. lighter. The Scout is also a fair comparison but doesn't have the power.
    The VROD is a 20 year old bike and when it came out there were only a handful of bikes like it. There are quit a few bikes out there now I would guess that are just as capable. I haven't kept up.

Snappy Happy and Bad Ass Button on guard duty......LOL

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    If you wanna be top dog, stop acknowledging that you're not. You're right... when you mention other brands and make the comparison, you have made them the standard of comparison.

Yes, you do... the crazy thing is it didn't sell. When that bike came out I expected it to be popular. Did they sell 25 of those? It was the ONE V-Rod that made me take a harder look at the V-Rod.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Half_Crazy

Bikeless
    A guy who rides a bike that is all torque and never exceeds 4500 rpm will hate a V-Rod. The fun starts at 4500... so if you don't spin it, you'll never see the fun part.

How many posts on here read like "The bike really seems to be reving high at highway cruising speeds"? People feel like they're running the f**k out of it at 3200 rpm... they are concerned about damaging the engine by cruising at 85 mph. The stock Victory is so limited that it doesn't really work until 2600 rpm and it's all done at 5000, so not a wide usable range of rpm (2400 rpm wide). You can change that easily with some minor mods as many here will attest, and have a usable range from 2000 to 6000.

On the very far end of that scale, I rode a Triumph Street Triple. The owner said, "It gets fun around 8000 rpm". That was a lie... it got fun around 10,000 rpm, but it made power to 13,500... still a 3500 rpm wide power band (I'm telling you, even at 6000 rpm when you open the throttle the engine just lays there. It gets better at 8000 and it wakes up at 10,000).

I always say, "there are different KINDS of power"....
    Yamaha 1900 -- 77 HP/107 TQ -- Done at 4500 rpm.
    Gixxer 600 -- 108 HP/48 Tq -- spins 14,000 rpm.
    And everything in between. Choose your compromise.

The cruiser/Harley crowd did not embrace the V-Rod... for exactly the reasons you stated. Not their kind of compromise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I’m disappointed that the BoD of HD did not give the former CEO’s plans time to mature, I thought they had a shot. Besides electric bikes and scooters, his plans called for a range of new motorcycles built around an updated V-Rod engine. The PanAm was supposed to be released this year, still might be, still 1250 cc’s, but 146 hp! The models that seem to have been axed are the Bronx, a 900 cc version making 115 hp, and next year the unofficially named Custom, a cruiser with the 1250 cc 146 hp motor. Damn.

For almost as long as the V-Rod existed I’ve wondered what a 1400-1600 cc version would be like. How about a Softtail or a Road Glide with a motor like that...

11. normthenomad

normthenomad Active Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Worked for H-D of Ft. Myers when the V-rod came out, seating position wasn't right, and ground clearance wasn't enough to really take advantage of the bikes' potential. A good set of pipes and a tune sure woke them up though.
    It wasn't a sport bike and it wasn't a cruiser consequently they didn't do either well.
    Never did get to ride a night rod with mid controls, that may have changed my mind about the seating position and handling. Parted company with the dealership, started working for independent shops.
    Got sick of bling, fringe, toilet seats, and everything conceivable with the logo on it.
    Still fun to spank 'em with my old tube frame S1.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Deltaflash

Vision, Vrod, Vstrom
    This bike only had two years of production. 2006-2007 VRSCR, Not many sold

HD missed several opportunities with the VROD IMO. With just a fairing and a few tweaks here and there, they could have produced a small water cooled bagger. They could have also easily produced a sport touring model from the Street Rod frame.

Maybe the $$ didn't add up for HD. We will never know.

The reason I bought the Street Rod was to transform it into a Sport Touring bike to run with my buddies Honda's and Yamahas up here in the mountains. They had a few more comfort features on their bikes but the Street Rod corners just as well and runs just as strong. I also had bragging rights because mine was made in the USA.

• Like Like x 2
  13. LEVON106

LEVON106 Active Member

2006 Hammer and 2016 Magnum 74 Norton Commando
    Agree..........A Road Glide like you described would've got a serious look from me a s well.

14. stude

stude Member

2003 Vegas
    I used to have an 06 VRSCR Street Rod. Traded it in on my 03 Vegas because the Street Rod was not comfy for the gal friend. I do miss it, it was an awesome bike. I embarrassed a guy on a Vic Gunner with it once. He mistakenly thought he was going to smoke me, but couldn't get it done.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Deltaflash

Vision, Vrod, Vstrom
    It has the ability to embarrass a bunch of them. Porsche designed a great engine

The first time I opened up that throttle all the way I wasn't ready for explosion of power in the second half of the throttle and almost slid off the back seat. In second gear the speed runs almost identical with the RPM''s. I was checking out what it would do in second and at about 35 MPH I cranked the throttle and at 85 MPH the limiter cut me off. Holy Sheep ****........ The bike can fly..
    I can ride all day in the mountains and hardly ever go above third gear. It is an incredible bike and a bargain in the used bike market.

• Like Like x 1