Hammer Aftermarket Seat/Improving Riding Position | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Hammer Aftermarket Seat/Improving Riding Position

Discussion in 'Victory Hammer' started by Chinny570, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Chinny570

Chinny570 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2007 Hammer S
    Hello everyone! I want to replace the stock seat on my (new to me) 2007 Hammer S. I have heard about how bad the stock seat is before buying the bike but man did I not think it was THAT bad! Maybe its the fact that its a 10 year old bikeso the seat may have hardened, idk, but this is most definitely my first change to the bike!

That said, I have done a lot of research and this forum has been a huge library of information. I think that I need a seat that has the optional driver backrest. Over the several rides on the stock seat I find that the bike almost wants me to slouch and round my back- something typical of the Harley V-rod position for instance. If I consciously keep my lower back straight it becomes uncomfortable due to the wind resistance.

I have some questions that whoever installed an aftermarket seat can hopefully answer for me:
    1. Which seat did you go with and why?
    2. If your lower back was uncomfortable beforehand did an aftermarket seat without a backrest relieve the back pain?
    3. Have you done any other mods for a more comfortable riding position like different handlebars or adjusting peg location?

I am mainly going to be riding myself but occasionally the girlfriend comes along. I do not need anything super comfortable for the pillion but some improvement there cant hurt. I also want to get a seat that somewhat maintains the bikes beautiful lines. So far here are my considerations.

1st Choice: Predator Seat
    Victory Motorcycle Seat with optional backrest Carbon Smooth Hammer Victory Only Motorcycle
    This seat seams to keep the aesthetics nicely. I am not sure how comfortable a passenger would be as it seems very similar to stock for them. I do like the optional backrest even though it does seem pricey compared to the seat and there is no passenger backrest.
    $319.95 for the seat, $169.95 for the backrest, $489.90 total.

2nd Choice. Bandit.
    Leather Bandit Seat - Black | Victory Motorcycles
    I like the way this one looks as well. My only issue and hopefully people give input is does this relieve back discomfort compared to stock? Or is there some kind of backrest that can be set up with this seat? I heard of one that slides back and forth between passenger and driver but cannot find it....
    $379.99 total.

3rd. Drag Seat Touring.
    DRAG SPECIALTIES SEATS LOW-PROFILE TOURING SEATS WITH PASSENGER BACKREST[0]=34
    This seat seems nice that it comes with a passenger backrest, I just wish it had a driver one as well.
    $469.95 total.

4th. Corbin.
    Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Victory Hammer | 800-538-7035
    I have heard great things about Corbin seats but aesthetically this seat seems super bulky. I do like that it is the only seat that has both driver and passenger backrest. It is a rather expensive seat, however.
    $593 for the seat, $243 for a back rest, $836 total w/ 1 backrest or $1,079 with 2 backrests.

I know this is a lot of information to consider and I asked a lot but any input at all will be appreciated.

2. j_pyrdol

j_pyrdol New Member

2012 Victory Hammer 8-Ball
    I just bought a Corbin and I'm waiting on it to come in. i have a 600 mile ride planned out right after it gets here. I will let you know how it goes.

3. Chinny570

Chinny570 New Member

2007 Hammer S
    Please do! Did you get the backrest with it?

4. j_pyrdol

j_pyrdol New Member

2012 Victory Hammer 8-Ball
    I did not get the backrest. I have an aftermarket passenger one though. I could not justify another $250+ for a backrest for me.

5. ModAddiction

ModAddiction New Member

Hammer 8 ball
    Also interested in the results.

6. DarthMonolith

DarthMonolith Active Member

Victory Vision
    I bought the Corbin Dual Tour seat with two backrests, it made a world of difference. It was quite pricey, but the backrest alone was well worth the cost. The Corbin sits higher on the sides compared to the stock seat, and it takes about 1000 miles for it to break in. I also tried the stock touring seat, it was ok. The only issue I had with the Corbin, was the difficulty of installation the first time, it uses the stock holes, but you have to use two 90 degree brackets for the back two screws and getting them lined up was a pain in the butt. Once I got them lined up, I left them alone and kept the seat on 100% of the time.

7. spider628

spider628 Member

2016 Hammer S
    I just bought and installed the Drag Specialties low profile touring seat w/passenger backrest. I rode the bike today for a couple hours and decided I like the seat...a lot. Even though the driver's seat doesn't have an actual backrest, the fact that it has a pretty high upturn in the back, it kind of works like a low backrest. The new seat gives me the sense that I'm shifted forward on the bike. Not much, but enough to notice. On the stock seat I used to get pain in my hips, not on the outer hip area but more like in the groin area. That pain was accentuated when I used my highway pegs. Now, on the new seat, I didn't have any of that pain while using either the regular or the highway pegs. My hope is that I can now take much longer rides without feeling like I need to get off the bike for awhile.

Tip:
    They give you a template for drilling the four 3/8-inch holes needed for mounting the seat. For me, the nuts embedded in the seat's underside did not line up with the holes I drilled. Side to side alignment was fine but front to back was off by about 1/4 inch. So I elongated the front two holes, turning them into ovals, so there would be some "play" in the front to back alignment. That did the trick and I got all four screws in and tightened well. So I wrote to Drag Specialties and suggested to them that their template was off by about a quarter inch.

The Corbin seat with two backrests looks awesome. If I had seen it first I probably would have paid the extra money and bought it instead.

8. PAF

PAF Active Member

2015 Vegas 8 Ball
    I have had the Corbin Dual Tour seat on my Vegas for about a year and a half. I also have one Corbin backrest. I find the seat to be very comfortable for my old back without the backrest for short two to three hour rides. When I go on full 200 mi. day rides or multi day trips I use the backrest which makes these rides very comfortable. The drivers seat gives much more back support than the stock seat and some people may not need the backrest. The nice thing about the backrest is that you do not have to remove the seat to install it and it can be adjusted forward and back along with any tilt angle for personal comfort. In the drivers position the backrest is spring loaded to allow it to fold down when getting on the bike and it pops up after seating. The backrest is interchangeable to the passenger position but will not fold down in the passenger position. The seat fits perfectly and I love how it looks on the Vegas. Though, as you say; it is expensive.

9. Spacecoast

Spacecoast Active Member

2016 Victory Hammer S
    Gee I wonder if he's still on that 600 mile ride...it's been a while. I would like to know how the Corbin worked out.

10. The_Bear_3.8

The_Bear_3.8 New Member

2016 Victory Hammer S
    I know this is a rather old thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread for something that has already been discussed. Took the Hammer S on the first longer ride yesterday (about 200 miles total). Love everything about the bike except the seat (performance mods will take care of the other gripes). Driver seat wasn't terrible but also not great after 100 miles. Nothing but complaining from the Wife, cant say I blame her after feeling the poor excuse for a passenger seat these bikes come with.

I definitely want to get a touring seat. Hate to loose the rear cowl but comfort is the name of the game. Considering either the "Low profile touring seat" from Witchdoctors or the Predator by Drag Specialties. Any recommendations? Not sure who makes the "Low Profile Touring" or if it is any better to substantiate the $100 cost difference. I have heard good reviews on the Victory Touring Seat but honestly not sure where to get them, victory site doesn't have 2016 as an option.

11. spider628

spider628 Member

2016 Hammer S
    See my post above. I installed the Drag Specialties low profile touring seat on my Hammer. Paid $469. Minor hiccups during install (see above). But I think had I seen the Corbin seat for the Hammer (2 backrests @ around $1000), I would have installed that instead. I like the idea of driver backrest. But since the Drag Specialties seat is curved upward in the back, it almost acts like a backrest. I've had my seat on for between 1000 to 2000 miles and it has broken in nicely (conformed its shape to my butt).

• Like Like x 1
  12. The_Bear_3.8

The_Bear_3.8 New Member

2016 Victory Hammer S
    Good to hear that after a couple thousand miles you still like the seat. Seems like a lot of people are having similar experiences with the install, too bad there are no companies that make a seat that mounts the same as stock. Corbin looks nice too but a little more than I am looking to spend. Think I will get the drag specialties on order and see how it works out. Thanks!

13. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    I'm currently waiting on the DS smooth low profile touring seat for my Gunner. I sat on a diamond stitched version at Victory Only and I was impressed with the back support that is provided. With 11k miles on the stock seat, I can no longer stand even short rides on it. I have to use an airhawk pad every time now.

Jason at Victory Only was very helpful. I was asking him questions through messenger and he told me he had two bikes in the showroom where I could actually sit on them to get a real feel. Glad I went up there and tried it out. The other bike had a Corbin on it and I don't think I'd ever get used to how hard they are. Here are some pics of the DS diamond stitch:

IMG_0840.jpg IMG_0842.jpg IMG_0843.jpg

14. CPT PYRO

CPT PYRO Well-Known Member

2017 Victory Cross Country
    Looks like they have one on sale here:

Seat Low profile Hammer with Passenger Backrest

15. The_Bear_3.8

The_Bear_3.8 New Member

2016 Victory Hammer S
    Awesome. Thanks for the replies, really digging the diamond stitch...future possibility.

I placed and order for the seat. Also accidentally added an RPW exhaust when checking out, hate when that happens :badgrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1