VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just joined the forum to get some feedback. I know this is a Victory forum, but I ask you to please keep an open mind and give honest feedback. I currently ride a Honda Shadow and I am ready for a much-needed upgrade! I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes. The first is a 2007 HD Custom 1200 (11k miles), and the other is the 2010 Victory Hammer 8 Ball (8k miles). I can pick up the HD for $6500 or the Vic for 6k. Both bikes are in mint condition. The HD is chromed out, and the Vic is blacked out. I love the look that each offers. I prefer the look of the Vic. The research I have done points to the Vic, but I'm worried about support and accessories for years to come. Will I be able to get saddle bags or a new windshield 5 years from now? Will anyone work/repair the Vic if needed? I'm fairly green when it comes to motorcycles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you really prefer the Victory? If so, then buy it.
Don't be scared about the perceived lack of parts and service. A lot of people are running around scared to death. There will be people who can and will work on them. Parts? As the years go buy maybe 2 or 3 phone calls and a week waiting period on the Harley, yet the Vic may take 4 or 5 calls and have a 2 week waiting period so to speak.
If that Vic is in good shape and it checks out O.K. and your gut feeling tells you so, then just go down the road with a smile on your face.
Mercury, Plymouth, Saturn, Pontiac and Oldsmobile are gone(did I miss any?) and you don't see any of those new models on the showroom floor yet those brands sold. Oh sure they are cars and share a ton of their respective corporate mechanical parts but I see those cars going down the road all the time.
Don't be scared to get out of bed in the morning and go have fun on the 8 Ball.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Those two machines, Sportster and Hammer, should not be compared. They are not in the same class of motorcycle. Like comparing a KIA Soul a Challenger SRT8. No matter how much chrome you put on a Sportster, it's still a Sportster.

View attachment 489023

Inverted forks, monoshock rear suspension, 106 cubic inch engine (vs 74 cubic inches for the Sporty), 250mm rear tire, 18" wheels…. that's a lot of bike for $6,000. In 5 years if you can't find accessories you want, buy another bike.

With Trump in the white house, in 5 years you''ll be in a bigger house, have 5 motorcycles, and be tired of winning all the time. :angel4:

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Vic will run circles around the Sportster.
No comparison.
So, the ultimate question is...do you want durability and performance?
Or do you want chrome and acceptance in the world of HD?
BTW, I suppose your Shadow is a 750?
Well, my first motorcycle was a Shadow.
A VLX Deluxe.
Just a 600...583cc to be exact.
Production discontinued about 10 years ago.
Chain drive.
4-speed.
And fast as hxxx!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Funny that you should ask that question. The Sportster 1200 Custom is exactly what I was looking at too, prior to my Victory. And it was up until the HD test ride. No thanks...top heavy, felt crude, super stiff suspension, etc. Then I started looking at the 2018 Fat Boy. Nice, but way too much money. Then, by accident, I just happen to stop at a Victory dealership about 40 miles from home. I had been in this shop one time before because our oldest son used to live in that area. His last brand new showroom bike was a 2016 Hammer S. Been on the floor for about a year. Fell in love. Went home, checked on prices by looking at CycleTrader, looked at test ride videos, and then made him an offer. Now that bike is in my garage, or under my butt. I told my wife yesterday after I came home from an hour ride.....I think this is the best bike I've ever owned, and at 65 I've owned some bikes.

If you can, do a test ride on each bike. I can tell you...you probably won't like the 2007 HD. They have made improvements on that model and even still the 2018 bike still somewhat sucks in the suspension area.

Watch his review on the 2018...even with better suspension he still gets beat-up.

If you are worried about the Victory, then maybe look for a later year. But if it looks to be in good shape, I wouldn't be concerned.

Victory HAMMER 8-BALL For Sale - Victory Motorcycles - CycleTrader.com

·
Registered
245 Posts
Back before I got mine, I was also looking at HDs (Dyna wide glide) The Hammer has more power, better styling, better everything and cheaper. Since I've never been into the Harley biker culture, it was an easy decision and I've never regretted it since.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
traded my 06 1200 sportster with poor brakes + suspension for a heavier but easier to ride 2013 hammer, as noted there is NO comparison, ride them + you WILL buy the Vic. hammers ride firm due to the fat low profile tyre + factory rear shock, pirelli night dragon 240 will help + a Penske built for you shock will be a BIG improvement. the custom's skinny front tyre looks good but handles + brakes poorly + sportsters feel top heavy + have fork flop tendancies!!

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Well, my first motorcycle was a Shadow VLX Deluxe. Just a 600. And fast as hxxx!!
That brought coffee out my nose, thanx!

Motorcycle Road Test: 1999 Honda VLX 600

"200-yard, top-gear acceleration from 50 mph: terminal speed: 65.1 mph
Quarter-mile acceleration: 16.42 sec. @ 78.1 mph"

"All the other 600-class cruisers, except Suzuki's Savage, are more powerful"

In what universe is that fast?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for all of the feedback. I apologize for letting the thread die! I ended up buying the 2010 Victory Hammer. After a lot of comparison and advice from the thread, I decided the Hammer was for me. The look/power was just superior to the HD. I haven't regretted it once since bringing her home. I couldn't care less about owning a Harley just for the name. Ultimately, I wanted the best deal for the $$$. If the rain ever stops I will take her out and get some pics to post. The guy before me had put a small Viking windshield on it that looks awesome, and he put the 4" foot extensions on. I had to remove the extensions as soon as I got it home. After my first 30 minute ride, I could really feel it in my legs.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
good luck + good choice!! i dumped my 06 HD for my 13 Vic Hammer + was never sorry!!! i tested a new 13 not so superglide + it did NOT even compare anywhere to the VIC. i buy what i like in the price range i can afford + am glad to NOT have just another harley!!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looking good!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.