VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So, I understand it is normal for the pegs to scrape occasionally. However I seem to scrape ALOT! I’ve had the bike for only a week so maybe I just need to get used to this style but I feel like I would be more comfortable with being able to lean a little more without the risk of contacting any hard parts/frame.

I measured the ride height with me on it and it is sitting right at specified stock height (4.75”). Should I consider adjusting the suspension pre load a little to gain a tad more height? Or is that a bad idea for ride quality?

I can adapt to it for sure but I can’t help feeling that it would be nice to be able to throw the bike over a little more (maybe in an evasive manoeuvre, or on the off chance I underestimate a corner).

I also read somewhere that forward controls may help? Not sure how they would tho as the ones I’ve seen simply move the pegs/controls forward and not up.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
its not how high the bike is. Its the lean angle. Have a body lean the bike over and you'll see how far your leaning. Keep in mind how sharp the curves are. Heck I go week with out scraping but then there's that one road I get carried away and scrap here and there

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
I'll let you in on something.... When you are used to riding a bike that has all sorts of cornering clearance, you become spoiled and forget certain techniques…

If you choose your lines as arcs and avoid angles (late apexing is out) you can ride surprisingly fast through curves and never touch a peg feeler down. Use the line to minimize required lean angle. My advice? Ride smarter.

Also, the 8-ball is lower than a standard Hammer....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll let you in on something.... When you are used to riding a bike that has all sorts of cornering clearance, you become spoiled and forget certain techniques…

If you choose your lines as arcs and avoid angles (late apexing is out) you can ride surprisingly fast through curves and never touch a peg feeler down. Use the line to minimize required lean angle. My advice? Ride smarter.

Also, the 8-ball is lower than a standard Hammer....
Thanks guys. This is a fair point and I do come from a sport bike background so I am still adapting to the ride style. That said, a little extra clearance wouldn't hurt...is it generally a bad idea to try gain a little by adjusting the pre load then? Or can I sneak an extra 1/2" clearance without compromising ride quality?

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its the art "not to scrape" on your bike .... That makes a fast corner , and chicken stripes indicator ....

How old (and level) is your front fork oil ?
Do you have a lowering link ?

View attachment 497003
I don't have any history on the bike so I don't know about the fork oil or whether a lowering link was installed. I presume no lowering link as the ride clearance is at stock spec height and I would assume the fork oil is original as the bike has 12,000kms so no scheduled maintenance on the fork oil yet.

Love the bike and it rides beautifully. Just so easy to scrape...which seems a little too close for comfort.

I think I'll raise it a tad with the pre load (not too much) as I could you a little extra for when I ride 2 up anyway and then I will work on learning the bike and taking the corners to suit.

Appreciate all the input!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I don't have any history on the bike so I don't know about the fork oil or whether a lowering link was installed. I presume no lowering link as the ride clearance is at stock spec height and I would assume the fork oil is original as the bike has 12,000kms so no scheduled maintenance on the fork oil yet.

Love the bike and it rides beautifully. Just so easy to scrape...which seems a little too close for comfort.

I think I'll raise it a tad with the pre load (not too much) as I could you a little extra for when I ride 2 up anyway and then I will work on learning the bike and taking the corners to suit.

Appreciate all the input!
Yeah it is easy to scrape these bikes, i changed my way of cornering on my Jackpot (i had to paint 3 x), i did not scrape yet after rebuilding with a 160/60-18 tire on the front, also i scrape my heels before the pegs etc touch the ground ... If you countersteer to much (because it is fun) then you could scrape to soon at lower speed, if you lean your body weight (not like a racer of cource) and counter steer at the same time, you can use the whole rear tire, (2 mm chicken stripes) and not scrape the bike on a much higher corner speed ...

I never had a HD or any Amarican bike before i have 2 vics, but i'm telling you, my jackpot corner nicer (harder) then my CCT .... i have big chicken stripes on my CCT (embarrassed)

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Forward controls didn't help me. The kit pushed them out and forward. I added 2" extensions and scrape much easier now.

View attachment 497023

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
I believe the 8-balls had a lower link in the rear than the standard or stock models.. you could gain some back by getting a standard link for the rear suspension. I know my wife had a Vegas Low and I couldn't make it out of the parking lot before I was dragging hard metal. The cross bikes and the Vision have a pretty decent lean angle, especially for a bike that heavy. My Kingpin isn't too bad compared to some of the other steel framed bikes.

You're pretty much gonna have to adjust your riding style some, like Half_Crazy said. Brake early, once you're in the apex you can roll on the throttle. You're never going to scare the sport bikers but as far as cruisers go the Vic's have a decent lean angle. Used to be a lot of fun watching the gumby harley's try to keep up in the twisties at speed.. frame flex was pretty standard for a while there.. although the newer ones are supposed to be a lot stiffer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update. I tried firming the preload a bit...wound the nut down a few turns but it doesn’t seem to have changed the clearance at all actually. Any ideas why?

Pretty sure it’s stock but is there any way to know for sure whether the previous owner installed a lowering link?

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just did it in my 2016 hammers s about three weeks ago. I've ridden the bike about 9000 miles since I got it at the beginning of last season. I have like you, dragged off about everything possible.
After I adjusted it, about half way down since mine was on full nothing, it handles awsome and i rarely drag anything.
I believe some wise members that are present here told me to do that 8000 miles ago.
Choosing a good line is also a big deal. When done right novice rocket riders can't keep up in the twisties
Also get some sticky rubber

·
Registered
111 Posts
My last bike was a R1 and, like you, I was really surprised how quickly the pegs on my Hammer would scrape. I just learned to use cornering techniques that would reduce how frequently I scraped things and understood it was a different style bike built for a different riding style...After owning it for a few years, I accidentally discovered something that gave me a little more lean before the pegs scrape. I replaced the foot pegs with Kuryakyn mini-boards, just for a little increased comfort, and was amazed to discover how much more lean I had before they would scrape. I find them really comfortable and thing they look great on the bike. One word of caution, I'm only 5'6" so this wasn't a problem for me but might be if you're tall, installing the mini-boards changed my perceived foot position to be slightly farther back (I think because they sit a little higher over the mount?) so a tall person might feel a little cramped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!

I understand much of it is down to learning the bike and adjusting ride style. In fact I have been scraping far less simply by adjusting my cornering technique.

My concern for trying to gain more cleanace is not really for general riding but in case of a situation that may require an evasive manoeuvre. There will inevitably be times where an object has to be dodged last minute or where a corner unexpectedly tightens up.

So although it’s not really an issue day to day, I’m just trying to do whatever I can ahead of time for a little extra lean for those hairy instances.

I’m not really concerned with the pegs scraping I just don’t want the frame to scrape.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.