VOG Forum banner

Hamilton Harley Davidson Dealer Loses Franchise

10014 25
Just found out tonight Pooles Harley Davidson will not be selling new Harleys, service only as of October 2010.
One of the oldest dealers around in this area.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,040 Posts
well it sounds like their franchise was pulled because of poor service? I commend HD if that was the case.

· Registered
2,685 Posts

The large buildings in the past what? 5-7 years?have beendictated by corporate. I believe they wanted a minimum of 60k sq ft. A lot of dealers built new digs altogether and most likely have some staggering mortgage payments.
It's possible that some of these dealers in addition to the big morgage payment are unable to find alternative financing for both their inventory AND to be able to offer to customers.
Our government keeps talking about money to create jobs but still seems to only fund projects that involve large construction comapies and road building..essentially union jobs. There is not enoughtrickle down to the small independent (heart of the economy) small buisinesses where it is sorely needed. As long as that continues the economy will not grow and there will be even more dealers closing.

· Registered
1,101 Posts

I am sorry to hear of a dealership closing - even if it is a HD. I may not subscribe to their product, but it is a bad sign when small places start to close down.
I service the resturant business in a monthly capacity - not expensive, just enought to make a few more bucks a month, and I have seen 7 resturants in my area close and another 2-3 totally curtail operations or change plans. Not a good thing. This "economy" is hurting down to the lowest base levels.
Perhaps we are getting closer to the "material" hitting the occililating blades....
cripes, what a country...
eta moy dva rubles

· Registered
12,333 Posts
Naturally the HD dealers will start to close. If business is off 30% something has to go away. The slower or not so well liked dealers are first to go. HD takes customer feedback pretty seriously these days.

· Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Time line
1955 - Percy Poole sells his London Dealership to Rocky Rob
and the name is changed to Rocky's Harley Davidson.
Percy establishes Poole's Harley Davidson in Hamilton.
Confirmed lost Harley Franchise
Busines on going
Sales use Bikes
Open for Service.

· Registered
3,384 Posts
FYI, Canadian Harley dealerships operate as a franchise of the Canadian Importer, Deeley H-D Canada. Either way, it was bound to happen considering the huge nut corporate placed on dealers in the mid 2000's as noted earlier.

· Registered
12,333 Posts
Takes a lot of courage to build a 70.000 foot building depending solely on the market conditions and one company to support your efforts.

· Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

As previously mentioned Poole's just built a new building from which to operate.
Harley's plan from what I have been told is they want their dealers to have Hi-way Exposre, Pooles is 5 to 10 mins at most from the nearest Hwy.
Poole's refused to buckle under pressure so Harley pulled them from their Dealer network.
Who said Harley dosen't think outside of the box, how else can they hammer in the nails to nail it shut.

· Registered
6,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

FAIRLESS said:
THAT IS VERY UNFORTUNATE! I HATE TO SEE PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY GO UNDER. IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE IN THIS HORRIBLE ECONOMY :(
Fairless,
They are not going under or closing up shop, Harley dictated to them, either relocate to a new spot where you have HWY exposure or you don't sell the HD Brand, just after they spent mega $$$,$$$.$$ on a new building where they first opened in 1955.

· Registered
2,909 Posts

Maybe arrogance is finally catching up with HD, better service and buys elsewhere. As stated earlier in this post try and get someone to help you when your in this place, I was in there for about 45 min. one day and not one person ask if I need help with anything
Regards

· Registered
7,210 Posts
Sutherland said:
Maybe arrogance is finally catching up with HD, better service and buys elsewhere. As stated earlier in this post try and get someone to help you when your in this place, I was in there for about 45 min. one day and not one person ask if I need help with anything
Regards
Hell that's pretty much standard operating procedure in any HD store. Unless you walk in with your pants down, a suitcase full of money and tell them to help themselves to whatever they need you're not a serious buyer!

· Registered
1,597 Posts
bikendad said:
Sutherland said:
Regards
Hell that's pretty much standard operating procedure in any HD store. Unless you walk in with your pants down, a suitcase full of money and tell them to help themselves to whatever they need you're not a serious buyer!
That is one reason I now ride a Vic that is the plain truth

· Registered
2,051 Posts
there are some very valid points made.

BUT!!
Its refreshing to walk into a HD dealership that have knowledgeable staff, be able to get answers to your questions, see a large assortment of accessories and T-shirts that say "if Harley Davidson made an airplane would you fly in it?"

· Registered
72 Posts

Hamilton Spectator Article
http://www.thespec.com/feature/article/266595--no-more-new-harleys-in-the-hammer
Before Clares moved to their new HD location just east of St. Catharines from their multi brand showroom inFonthill, rumours were out there about them being forced to move near a Major Hwy and be only a single brand dealer. According to article both sides are not answeringto that rumor.

· Registered
1,675 Posts

I wonder what they will call their store now ?
Poole's "Harley Davidson" doesn't seem right if they can't sell Harley's.
If they leave that big HD shield out front it will be a big reminder of how HD has screwed them by not moving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.