Guys, look after yourselves | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Guys, look after yourselves

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by 1stVictory, Jun 17, 2019.

1. 53canuck

53canuck Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 KP
    A growing problem in this area is a lack of family doctors. Mine is going on a walk-a-bout at the end of this month and nobody is picking up his practice. There are no doctors in the area taking new patients nor can I find one with a waiting list. This in a city area of 400,000 people. Lots of clinics around but who in hell wants to book a prostate exam in a clinic with transient doc's whose only been practicing a short while and may have bought the degree hanging on the wall. I'm a bit prejudiced on that because of past problems with my kids when a clinic was the only choice.

Anyway, the reason for this post is the growing feeling that prostate surgery is in some cases not required. Additionally, I've read a few articles in which men say that had their doctor told them what life after the surgery was going to be like they would have opted to forgo the surgery and see how long the could live without it. A hard choice but when you hear what some guys go through you can understand their position. I tried to find some of the articles I'm talking about but came up empty. I'll post links if I come across them. Hopefully I never have to make that decision. I'm not condoning not getting the exam and am presently on the hunt myself for a competent replacement vet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. corvelle

corvelle Well-Known Member

c tc kp
    I guess I should probably do that. My father died of a heart attack at 48 but he was a real asshole. Physically I favor him quite a bit and I never figured to make it this long. I'm a songwriter and I've been working on a new one called
    "If I'd have known I was going to live this long, I'd have done more dope"

• Like Like x 1
  3. 08norcalvision

08norcalvision Member

Victory Vision
    Some medical board decided several years ago to have the Dr's limit the PSA test because of false readings. I had urinary problems at night and went to Dr for annual check. The digital exams were normal no enlargement. Dr gave me Flomax to try. It worked for a couple of years. Urinary problems came back and the Flomax was giving me some very unpleasant side effects. Finally got referal to Uroligist.
    Short version of this long story.... I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Prostate which has metatized to the bone. I have bone tumors through out my body. Sirgery is not an option because it is no longer encapsulated.
    EVEN IF YOUR PROSTATE IS NOT ENLARGED WITH THE DIGITAL EXAM GET THE PSA TEST TOO.

4. Phideaux

Phideaux Well-Known Member

2011 XC, 2005 VTX 1800 Spec 2
    @08norcalvision I'm saddened to hear of your diagnosis. You will be in my prayers.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. 08norcalvision

08norcalvision Member

Victory Vision
    Thank you Phideaux.
    The digital exam is unpleasant for only a minute or two. Make sure you get PSA test.
    Hormone therapy and many other factors of this cancer are very life altering . PLEASE THROW YOUR MANLY PRIDE AWAY AND GET CHECKED!!

6. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    The digital exam isn't a minute or two. It's about 5 seconds. Feels like an hour! My heart goes out to you because of your results. :frown:

7. Phideaux

Phideaux Well-Known Member

2011 XC, 2005 VTX 1800 Spec 2

The PSA, in my case, is questionable due to my father having colon cancer; it is far more likely to be a false positive that indicative of any cancer that is present.

I do have a colonoscopy every 5 years though, and have never had any issues other than benign polyps that were removed. We should take care of ourselves; more men die from prostate cancer than women die of breast cancer.

8. georgec1

georgec1 Member

2014 Vision
    Something else to think about we ride on sunny days and we should wear a sun block. In 2015 I had a growth on my chest it turned out to be melanoma which is the deadliest form of skin cancer. I had it removed but it spread to my left lung. That means I have stage 4 cancer. I'm on the train to Manhattan now to see what the doctor wants to do next. This may have been avoidable if I had just used sun block. I really believe I will be fine but 3 surgery's and a bunch of worries could have been avoidable if I just used sun block. Guys put on a bunch of lotion before riding or the beach and never use a tanning bed

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. 1stVictory

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    I hope you can beat it George. We can all learn from personal stories of grief and worry. "It always happens to the other person" until you may become a victim of insidious cancer. Visit your MD at least yearly for a complete physical, including the digital exam guys, and tell them what hurts, aches, is a discomfort. It's all about saving ourselves from an early trip to the funeral home prep room or crematorium.

10. jenkins

jenkins Active Member

2012 Victory CCT
    Yearly checkups and every 6 months a PSA check with my urologist. Stage 1 prostate cancer and holding by my choice. There are a number of ways to lessen the effects of swollen prostate. Many live long lives with stage 1, but you have to monitor the chances of it spreading. Surgery, as I see it, is a last resort and carries big risks. Seeing the urologist in couple weeks and may opt for the seeds to get rid of the cancer. Still have to monitor, though.

Bottom line is get yourself in to have it all checked by a competent Doctor. Especially if your over 50. In this case, an ounce of prevention is worth 50lbs of cure! Do it!!

11. 1stVictory

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Yes, there's the radioactive seeds which help many. There's radiation blasts that went from 36 or so down to 5 with better technology and there's removal. I've included the Motorcycle Ride for Dad® vest I wear for the ride, at the motorcycle show and whatever other events they hold to raise money. I had this patch made, not to belittle but explain to those who see it as funny that 7 out of 10 men who have their prostate removed will no longer be able to get it up. Get checked yearly! For you, your family, your friends. I'm beginning to sound like a preacher man.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.11.22 PM.png

Though I retired from the committee after 11 rides (10 years), the committee is still eager to raise funds for awareness and research. The silent auction held in early May, along with selling $20 tickets for a live band in the roadhouse bar that's hosted the event 3 yrs in a row now, collected $25K in that one evening! Over $111K from rider pledges this year alone from 501 registered riders..

Here's my vest. I can say I've earned every one of those add-ons.

IMG_6434 copy.JPG

IMG_6435 copy.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. IERider

IERider New Member

2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
    At 64, I've been getting fingered for years. :). My PSA has risen every year for the last 5. As a result, I've also had 2 biopsies, both negative but they are still concerned. Going in Monday for an MRI that might show something. Never stop looking if there's even an inkling. If ti's going to save my life, let them poke, prod, test and look all they want.

MG