Guys coming from a hiatus... | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Guys coming from a hiatus...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Teflon Mike, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Roadkill

Roadkill Roadkill

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Victory Can-Am Honda
    +My only hiatus was for a year after the deer in '87...

scan0438b.jpg

2. Andytwodogs

Andytwodogs Well-Known Member

'15 Cross Country LE
    ...I bought my first bike in '83 (an XS650) and spent the rest of the '80s on an array of British bikes.....finishing with a '72 Rocket 3. I got fed up with working on bikes and in 1990 I bought a brand new Superglide. I kept that until '99. The last couple of those years I didn't ride a lot, partly because the 'glide's crap suspension and seat stuffed my tailbone and partly 'cos I lost a good riding mate to the wrong end of a semi-auto and kinda lost the passion a bit.
    In '99 I decided to belatedly extract the digit and bought myself a house, and about 12 months later I decided I wanted another bike. I didn't have much money but wanted something "interesting", so I bought an '86 GSXR1100. That bike was useless at all legal speeds so after 18 months I realised that this bike would be the end of me and it was sold.
    No bike from then on until '09. I met my wife in '04. Being a late starter I had my first daughter in '07, another in '08 (who sadly passed at 2 months old) and a boy in '10 at the age of 45..
    In '09 we were struggling with the loss, and a friend visited on his new Triumph Rocket 3. He gave me a ride and I was immediately re-smitten with bikes and ordered a new T100 3 days later with the full blessing and encouragement of my wife.
    I kept the T100 until early '13, adding a KLR650 in '12. After spending much money modifying the T100, arthritis in my hip finally made it impractical, so I scouted around for something more comfortable. After speaking with the sales dude who sold me the T100, he encouraged me to have a go on a Victory. I rode a Vegas, a Boardwalk and a Hammer S and ended up with an '09 Hammer S with only 12000km.
    More comfortable now but still not enough I decided I had to have a bike I could do long hours on in relative comfort or give it away. A day long test ride on a Cross Country convinced me that this might just be the bike for me so I bought one at the end of October '15 after selling the Hammer and the KLR.
    Most happy, I am now....I can easily do long days with short breaks and hopefully this bike will do me for a few years until the wind changes direction once more.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Havoc70

Havoc70 Member

2012 XCT
    For me, it was selling my motorcycle in 1989 before moving to my duty station in Michigan for the Air Force. My thinking was that with the winters in the Upper Peninsula, I probably wouldn't get much riding in. Boy, was I wrong and stupid. Spring, early summer, and fall would have been fantastic to ride in. So I sold my Nighthawk and strapped a jet to my back for a few years, then when I moved back to California I always had the thought in the back of my head to get on a bike again. It wasn't until just recently I found one that was comfortable for my rather tall frame. So back to class I go and then more practice, and practice some more and then I get to feel the adrenaline thrill of riding a motorcycle on the freeway again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I bet after being in control of a jet EVERYTHING else just feels slow. Kinda like when you've been cruising for miles at our around triple digits and have to slow to 45.... But worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    @Havoc70 , you certainly have the right bike there. 2012 CCT (XCT) is what I own and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Especially with tuning and cams. Enjoy.

6. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    Welcome back to the two wheeled world, cars have gotten way, way crazy so never zone out, stay alert stay alive & thanks for doing what you did

7. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

HardBall
    Where was this, so I know never to go near it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

HardBall
    Wh
    Oops, didn't notice the age of the post. Doh! to quote another nuclear power plant worker.

• Funny Funny x 2