Guys coming from a hiatus... | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Guys coming from a hiatus...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Teflon Mike, Feb 9, 2016.

1. K1ll3m@LL

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Victory Cross Country
    I'm not that old, almost 30, but the few times I was without a bike starting from 18 were always finances. Had to sell a few to pay the bills.

2. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    I used to live near there. My dad had me take a tour of the facility before they juiced it up. He helped build it.

3. CrashDavis

CrashDavis Member

'13 XCT
    I grew up riding. Back when the Air Force would let you do things like that, my dad brought a Honda 350 with him from Japan inside his cargo plane and I rode that through high school. I went to the former boy's school in the Rockies (AF Academy) and wasn't allowed to have a vehicle. After graduation and during pilot training I got me a Honda 650. I then got married and as a newlywed I took it and a Datsun 280Z with me when I got stationed in England. The plan was to wait till we got back to the states to expand the family, but you know how things work out. Now, I have a bike and a two-seater and three people to move around. The Brits only allowed US military types to have one tax-free vehicle for each licensed driver and I couldn't afford the taxes. So after getting a larger car for the kid, I had to get rid of something. I decided to keep the Z. What with family obligations I wasn't able to justify another until a few years ago (a 30 year break). I knew I missed riding but I didn't realize how much until I got my XCT. I will now ride as long as I can afford it. Once I can't hold 2 wheels up I will go to something like a Spyder.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPEEDFREAK

SPEEDFREAK Well-Known Member

cross country tour 2014
    Just wanted to say you guys are horrible kind of off topic but I gotta say it you guys are a bad influence I was all set to buy cam for my 2014 xct and be happy with them and the power then I read the 106 < 116 big bore kit do or not to do from what I read got to do...

5. SPEEDFREAK

cross country tour 2014
    I sold my Harley back in 07 thought I would get another one in a year or so 8 years later I finally got another bike...I sold because of back surgery and help pay for some college classes should have kept it ...it was paid for .,.about two months after I sold it I was right back to where I started learned my lesson ...did not have the money to get another one till last year did not realize how much missed riding... so glad I bought a Victory did alot of research before hand and bought one without anything more than a 5 mile test ride...You guys on here are so awesome with information and general talking about things...hope to meet you guys and go for a ride with some of you this year...

• Like Like x 1
  6. SPEEDFREAK

cross country tour 2014
    That's awesome

• Like Like x 1
  7. SPEEDFREAK

cross country tour 2014
    Wow sweet cars always loved the Cuda..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PaiN

PaiN Well-Known Member

2013 Vic Cross Country (Red on Black)
    I rode from 10 until the age 32(1999) at that time I was riding a bike I hated(Yamaha VMax) and was uncomfortable as hell, all my old buddies had moved on. I met my wife at that that time and ended up moving to CT permanently, I gladly sold that Vmax once we settled in, life happened and riding turned into a fleeting thought I'd get on nice spring days..... Fast forward to 2012 when a friend showed up at our house on his new Sportster.....That was it, the riding bug bit and wouldn't let go, a week or so later my wife said "go pick out a motorcycle". I ended up going though two HD's, a Fat Bob and a Switchback, but finally ended up where I was happy on my XC.
    Since I've "come back" I'm riding more miles and enjoying it more than ever....I plan to stay with it until that dreaded point when one has to get a Trike.... ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ariesnc

Ariesnc Well-Known Member

2015 Victory Magnum
    I never really took long breaks compared to most but my breaks from riding were work related. I ended up deploying a lot to Iraq, and Afghanistan while being in the military so most of the time I would either have my bike elsewhere or sell it depending on how long I would be gone and where I was staying at. Sold my first bike to pay some bills off. Since then I would usually only be without one for 2 years or so. I have always enjoyed riding motorcycles. I share that time now with family, work, and golf. Those are pretty much the things I do now and the wife doesn't mind and she cant wait for the days that we both can tour all the time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    I watch the UFC all the time. I enjoy the battle. I have never been a fighter. My first job had a guy that every Monday we would get the details of the ass whooping he put on someone. And when his face was "F"ed up,,,,"you should see the other guy". Where this is going is why did you do it. You are right, doesn't seem like much fun getting kicked and hit in the head. And the kicks where you guys hit shin to shin can't feel good. Is it the adrenaline rush if you are the victor or what, or just knowing you imposed your will on another. Or just trying to be fit? Thanks

11. Teflon Mike

Teflon Mike Well-Known Member

2014 Vegas 8 Ball & 2017 chieftain
    Now I chalk it up to being young and dumb. Personally, when I was younger (19-24) who doesn't like being a bad ass. Young kid filled with testosterone, it's a great outlet. Just feeling like an animal and on the verge of not being human was a good feeling.

I also appreciated the technical and fitness aspect. Now more so than ever. I love a good technical match. Stuff that bores the average viewer. I love seeing a guy put on a masterful performance and hit without getting hit back. It's an art.

I haven't trained in over two years, and I miss it, but I know it's long behind me. Too old fat and slow. I no longer have the desire to feel like a bad ass, but I know it's still buried deep down waiting for me to flip the switch and have it surface.

I think if you've payed attention to my posts, you'll know that I'm a pretty positive person and would like to promote positivity among us. But this is a relatively new attitude that I've adopted and I can't place a finger on why. I used to be a massive dick. Maybe it's just maturity setting in.

• Like Like x 2
  12. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Dude, I admire you, a young man who got the entrepreneurial spirit, found out he has a MASSIVE responsibility, put his head down and went to work. If you have enough left over after your family for your toy, you are doing something right. I didn't, I have been self employed for 21 years now. And to your final comment, yes, maturity setting in. Good luck in business and raising those kids.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Teflon Mike

Thanks. It means a lot.

14. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Good on you, Mike. You gotta own that sh!t!! :biggrin: Count me in with Flyboy. Lots of respect for how you are conducting your business. Good things, brother.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Teflon Mike

Thanks ghostrider. Lots of good dudes on this site.

• Like Like x 2