Guys coming from a hiatus... | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Guys coming from a hiatus...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Teflon Mike, Feb 9, 2016.

1. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Hey, what's wrong with a 600 mile day, or even less? It's all about the journey anyway, right? I like spending the day moving from point a to b, but I also love to stop and poke my nose into different things along the way. It's just so much better on a bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    In 1983 I came home from work to find my X wife had sold my 1982 750 Honda...at her garage sale!! :box1: She said we were behind a house payment. Well, I did some creative selling of a few things and bought a new 400 Yamaha Enduro two weeks later (I was 23 at the time). A month later I bought a 1980 750 Honda, still in the crate, for $150 (won't go into detail on that one). Then in 2008 a deer hit me and broke my leg in two place, sidelined from end of July to beginning of September, rode with cast and buddy put cane holster along forks.. The next time without being able to ride in good weather was 5 weeks last May, had hernia operation. Living in Michigan my PMS is pretty much in the winter months, other then that I ride everyday when no rain.:devil3: I hope I have many years left on two wheels....when can't I'll reluctantly try some type of trike or a side car.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  3. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    I have been on 2 wheels almost continuously since I was 10.. except for a stretch that lasted a year not long after I got married. We were poor as hell and I just couldn't keep a bike in good conscience, not while we were scraping to send the wife to nursing school and I was training for computer tech. We both got through that and moved and almost immediately I got a bike. Worst year or so of my life. Hell, when i was in the navy and deployed I had 3 bikes.. and averaged at least 5K a year on all of them. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. torotim

torotim Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    I grew up on dirt bikes and enduro's and on my 18th birthday in 1981 I bought myself a 1980 Suzuki GS850L with a Vetter fairing for $1800. Pretty sweet thing at the time. Problem is that was when the economy was in the tank (thanks Jimmy Carter) and I was working my way through trade school and could no longer make the payments. I was paying 21% interest on it and working part time for $3.50 an hour so it was the bike or the car. So I got rid of the bike and sunk any spare cash into my other passion, my 73' Cuda'. I was really into cars back then. I had another car in the works, I was doing a full restoration on 70' Dodge Charger. Finished that and traded it even up for a 82' Yamaha Seca 750. Drove the heck out of that thing for 2 years and sold it to buy a snowmobile. That was my last bike for 29 years. Got married, 4 kids, built a new house in 2000 so you can imagine where the money was going. Told the wife 20 years ago I was gonna buy another bike. She said when the kids don't need anything, you go right ahead!

I finally reached that point a couple years ago and started looking. I bought my CCT on the way home from my oldest son's wedding in September of 14'. I got 660 miles on it that fall and 8800 on it this past summer. I won't ever be without one again as long as I'm able to ride.

The good ol' days!

82 Seca 750.jpg 73 Cuda 2.jpg 70 Charger (3).jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    It was ham radio that I couldn't understand how some operators could sell off their stations and hang up the microphone. But I did just that back in 1995 after getting my licence in 1988. Lifestyle changes cause decisions to be made that, after looking back, were either good or mistakes. In my case, it was a good choice.

6. jwfuchs1

jwfuchs1 Well-Known Member

Cross Country
    Good looking cars man I'm sure you wish you had held on to that charger.... Do you still have the cuda?

7. torotim

I know where your coming from on wondering how someone could give up a hobby. I just sold off my last giant scale aerobat. Ever since I got my weekend hideaway I simply don't have time anymore. Maybe when I retire I'll get back in it.

004.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. torotim

I wish I had them all back! The 'Cuda didn't survive....

03003bff.jpg

9. bobzinger

bobzinger Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I sold my second TX500 Yamaha when I went off to school in 1983. I rode friends bikes and rented a few over the years, but marriage and kids took top priority. Finally in 1999 I bought a new Roadking. So thats 16 years. I'll only stop now if I physically can't ride. Then maybe I'll do a CanAm Spyder. 640px-1974-Yamaha-TX500-Blue-5954-5.jpg hog.jpg roadking.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bartcanoe

Bartcanoe Well-Known Member

2017 Triumph T100
    I'm not sure you can call it coming back from hiatus since all I had ridden were other people's dirt bikes in my late teens and early 20's. I always wanted a bike, but getting married, having kids and a military career meant I never had the time nor money. After 30 years, I had retired, kids were grown, and I started doing all those things I had planned to do, like getting a motorcyle.

Long story, short, I took a class and got my endorsement in April, and haven't stopped since with a little over 12k on the 3 bikes I've had since April. I have to say, I'm surprised how much I love it. It is about the only thing on the list of planned to do things that has stuck.

• Like Like x 3
  11. dave21042

dave21042 Active Member

2012 Victory CC
    I bought my first bike (1981 KZ440) during the summer between Jr & Sr years of high in 1981. It was my only means of transportation so I rode it year round rain, cold, hot. The only time I did not ride was in the snow.

25 years later (2008) a friend of mine was going to buy his first bike, he was 63 and never had never ridden a bike before, so I went out and bought a new bike so I could help him learn. I just felt I could teach him better than if he just got out there by himself. Been riding ever since, I think because my bike was daily transportation I looked at riding differently then I do now.

12. jwfuchs1

jwfuchs1 Well-Known Member

Cross Country
    Hate to see that man.... Glad to know you made it and now are enjoying two wheels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision
    I have been to Byron but my main job and location was Shift Manager at Clinton.

14. torotim

Me too! I wasn't driving but I was with. That happened one month after I sold the car to my best friend. He picked me up one Saturday night and the party commenced till 4:30 am. He was doing just fine on the way home driving 40 mph until he realized how late it was. Told his girlfriend he'd be home by midnight so he figured he'd better kick'er in the ass in spite of my protesting. Needless to say he didn't get home in time. He broke his neck in three places, punctured a lung and bruised his heart. I got a sprained back. Nobody thought about seatbelts back then. My friend recovered but it didn't slow him down, he drank himself to death 33 years later.

15. spamaster

spamaster Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT Black
    I gave up riding about 4:30PM yesterday but picked it right back up at 6AM this morning. Got to sleep and eat sometimes.

• Funny Funny x 6