Guys coming from a hiatus... | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Guys coming from a hiatus...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Teflon Mike, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Teflon Mike

Teflon Mike Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2014 Vegas 8 Ball & 2017 chieftain
    Why? What were your circumstances for hanging up the keys for a while and coming back. I've been reading the vog for a while before I signed up and it always intrigued me when I read about plenty of guys taking a 10+ year beak. Just curious. Everyone has their reasons and I thought it'd be interesting to hear them. Close calls? Kids? Money? Lost the passion? Don't want to get to personal, but if you're willing to share, Im willing to listen.

2. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision
    I always rode most of my miles riding to and from work. When the nuclear power plant I worked at started the plant up and started monitoring for radiation I could no longer get to my normal work location because my pants were picking up radon while riding to work and that would set off the radiation monitors. Think about what that means. I was getting so much radiation on my legs from the ride to work that I could not get past the radiation monitoring designed to prevent accidental radiation spreads. When I stopped working in areas monitored for radiation contamination I returned to riding every day. It took me a few bikes after that before I settled on a Victory for my daily rider.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gdfishwell

gdfishwell Active Member

2008 Victory Kingpin Tour
    I took about twenty years off, raising kids did not leave money for toys. Definitely never lost the passion, I will have that til the day I die.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Teflon Mike

Wow. Was not expecting such a shocking first response. That is nuts and I'm glad you're here to tell the story. Thanks for sharing. I wish you many more enjoyable miles.

5. Teflon Mike

Personally I didn't start riding until after I had kids. People always raise an eyebrow when I tell them that. Here's my short and sweet story.

I was pretty deep into fitness and mixed martial arts (cage fighting) so it's safe to say I've been a thrill seeker for my whole life. Well, life happened to me very abruptly and I opened a small business, and found out we were expecting twins a month into it. Already in over my head, the last thing on my mind was getting punched and kicked in the head for fun.

So the part of me that focused on me was long gone in a hurry. Now I have real world bills and the odds stacked against me, so I've been in the trenches so to speak for the past 3 years. It's been an uphill battle and I keep telling myself that I'm putting my dues in and it will get better.

Well, my dad (step dad) is quickly approaching 70 and unsure how long he has left on two wheels, so reluctantly I take a motorcycle safety course to get a season or two in with him before it's too late. Well, it turns out it's filled my thrill seeker void and I can't get enough of it. He's still trucking and we are looking forward to a full riding season ahead of us. And while I'm not quite as deep into it now as I was martial arts, but there is no way I'm giving it up in the foreseeable future. Life's funny.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision
    Radon is pretty darned common in most of the midwest. It is a heavy gas so it stays close to the ground and when you ride your pants will pick up plenty. If you drop your pants and let them air out for a half hour you can recover them and have no problem with the radiation monitors. Radon, being an inert gas, dissipates sort of quickly once you shut off the source of fresh radon. There was nothing unique in my exposure. Everyone out there riding was picking up just as much, but I had to walk past radiation monitors that detected it. I can't count how many times I went to work wearing paper coveralls before I gave up riding daily.
    BTW, your step dad is not old. I am quickly approaching 70 myself. My 68th birthday is already history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Teflon Mike

I also want to add that when I say thrill seeking, I'm 30, married with twins, so the stupid **** is long out of my system. I just enjoy a spirited weekend ride now and again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    For me, I broke my back on 17 December 1987. Not riding, it was a work injury. In all honesty, I had pretty much stopped riding a few years before and got into cars. But that injury cost me 3 years of my life to get back on my feet. When the doctors were ready to release me back into the wild, they told me flat out "no more riding for you." And like an idiot I believed them, though it seemed to make sense at the time and my Wife didn't want me riding either. Then I turned 50 and I just said screw it; I have to get back in the wind. 23 years I was out of the saddle making everyone happy but me. I'm just glad I made it back!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Teflon Mike

That sucks, but that's a great mentality to come away with. Glad you're enjoying it again.

10. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    Byron? or elsewhere.

11. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    I was out here and there mostly because I was playing with Mopars.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ghostrider25

I'm tellin ya Mike, every day I get to mount up and ride is so sweet. I never take it for granted. Even the grinding commute rides are sweet to me! It has become a huge part of my life now, and I will be doing it for as long as I possibly can. And when I can't hold up a bike anymore, I have a Spyder in the stable waiting so I can keep on going.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Teflon Mike

That's bad ass man. Are you able to tour with your back? I too have lived through a broken back (sports injury) and am about finished riding at 120 miles or so. I have on occasion pushed it well beyond 200 miles, but regret it Afterwards. I keep telling myself my body is getting used to riding so I will go farther and farther hopefully, but don't know how true that is. I do know I remember my wrists, forearms, back and everything getting used to riding when I first started because I wasn't used to using those muscles. Told my step dad once I have my endorsement I'm not getting off that thing, and he laughed and said we'll see about that, it's taxing at first. And it was.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ghostrider25

I know this is going to sound cliche, but with the Vision touring is real. I was doing some modest long-haul on the Suzuki and it was painful by the time I got to the next fuel stop, for that bike about 190-ish miles. But I have worked on myself since I started riding again, and now my core and my legs are pretty strong, which allows me to push further. The Vision is so comfortable I can go to the next fuel stop, which is about 250 miles, give a good stretch and keep on going. Will I ever be able to do a thousand mile day? No. Not even close. But 600 mile days are not out of the question at all, and that aint too bad!

That is why I love this bike so much. It creates opportunities that I didn't think were going to be possible. Hell, I was just happy to be riding again!

• Like Like x 3
  15. blacksheep1

blacksheep1 Active Member

2007 kingpin (sold)
    My first bike (sporster 883) I owned it for a year and a half when I somehow avoided a head on collision at 60 with a cage, laid it down in the ditch and slid into a ravine. Bent the clutch lever and boogered up the left foot peg, I received a good case of road rash.

Nearly orphaning my young family the decision was easy to get out of it, that was 1990. Bought my first victory in 2012 with my youngest in college. Still unable to ride as much as I would like but it will happen in due time.
    I guess life happening is my reason.

• Like Like x 2