VOG Forum banner

Guns and the gun oil you use.

117K views 2K replies 76 participants last post by  VicVisionBulldog 
#1 ·
I knew oil would get y'all's attention and suck you in.

Nothing much to this thread. Just a place to post gun pics and argue about what gun oil is best.

I just got a new competition wood grip for the first pistol I ever owned. It's a S&W 22A 22LR that has thrown allot of lead during its life without any fuss.

The original grip rubber was getting a bit tacky and I thought she deserved a new one.

Sleeve Air gun Wood Gun barrel Font

See less See more
#5 ·
For cleaning and basic lube I use CLP.

For high friction areas like slide rails I use Tetra Grease. I use Tetra Grease on my motorcycle levers too. Cleans up easy, doesn't evaporate, and makes metal silky smooth.

#4 · (Edited)
Reactions: Flyboy
#7 ·
I have a PMR-30 that I really like.
Nothing like a standard 30 round 22 Mag clip.
Mine's in OD green, and I just use regular gun oil.
I've what's wanted one of those too. Like bikes, I want all guns too.

I have a PLR-16 and P-3AT. The PLR is fun and fits in my CamelBak.

Reactions: primethious
#9 ·
I have a AR-15 pistol in two tone tan and black that I've never fired. A 16" carbine also NBF.
I need to get to the gravel pit!

First thing I do when I get a new one is to strip it down and clean all the manufacturing gunk out and then OIL it!

#16 ·
I had a Springfield 1911 in parkerized black that started off as a $400 gun. After putting a crap ton of Wilson parts and an Ed Brown sear in it I had a grand in it before ever pulling the trigger. I had the smith machine in a stainless beavertail/combat hammer, and a stainless front barrel keeper along with an adjustable 2.5 lb trigger. The action was the nicest I had ever felt...broke like a thin piece of glass. I got in a pinch for funds at one point and had to sell it. Wish I had a pic of it!

#19 ·
Since .22s seem to be starting things off, here's a little something i use on vermin around the yard:
View attachment 344905
Nice!
I've thought about a muffler too!
The law just make it unnecessarily expensive, and a bit of a hassle.
I have heard that they are trying to get them to be sold over the counter. As soon as it happens they'll make laws saying you can't shoot without one! :doh:

#18 ·
I like this lil snub nose 1911. My first Para and I'm very impressed with it. For under $550 I had it delivered and it has eaten everything fed to it. Not ONE fail to feed, jam, or anything.

It is a great off duty with its short barrel, especially on the bike.

The grips are hand made from Water Buffalo horn and mother of pearl Punisher inlay.

Best of all they were a gift from the wife.

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

#28 ·
I want a can for this. Remington 597 AAC 22LR. It's a fun one. It needs a better scope though.

I added a Volquartsen Target Hammer and it will surprise you.

View attachment 344929
I have a 597 too, she's stock and will not shoot with a can on it, jams every time. I have to say that of all my guns, this one is the worst for reliability and as a shooter. I realize there are a ton of mods for this gun as many with the same problems I have had with it have done, but why not just go buy a Tactical Solutions and be done with it?

I have a old savage 87D that is worth maybe $100 that will shoot circles around my 597, and it is bone stock too.

#27 ·
The 34 was in the beginning of the third generation, when finger grooves and rail was added.

With two pins above the trigger yours is a later Gen3. Honestly you're better off. Yours is more modern and with how many Glocks are produced it's not like many will be collector items.

Reactions: primethious
#26 ·
Anybody have a Gen5 Glock?

I know some officers that have them ordered but haven't seen one yet. I have to much invested in my duty Glock to replace it yet so I didn't order one......yet.

#29 ·
I have two pistols for carry Sig Sauer 1911 and Sig Sauer M11-A1. I'm a huge sig fan and both of those guns will eat any bullet you throw in there. I usually use Hoppes branded lubricants and cleaners for my guns.

@VicVisionBulldog I'm so disappointed that you love the Glocks so much. Was this forced upon you by the department?

One of the guys I hunt with works for CPD and they recently got issued Sig Sauer P320s and I gotta say that's the only polymer framed pistol that I've handled that I liked. I'm gonna have to add one into my stable when I have extra funds.

My other pistols are Ruger 44 Mag, a Ruger coyote special, and a 5.56 AR pistol w/ a 2 lb trigger :badgrin:. Hopefully I can get some pictures posted.

#31 · (Edited)
Not forced. My second pistol when I was a teenager was my Glock 34 and by the time I turned 21 and joined the Dept I had three Glocks. At the time I joined I had the choice of a S&W something, Beretta 96, Sig something, or Glock. Not being a fan of any of the others triggers(double single) and knowing the Glock I got a Glock 22 & 27 for work. I've then made it shoot like I want. The 320 is nice but the way my Glock is right now it is still a bit better....for me.

It is hard to beat a Glock in tough conditions.

Reactions: jwfuchs1
#32 ·
I tend to prefer calibers/types of ammunition versus specific ammunition launchers. Case in point: 45ACP FMJ works equally well for me in Saint John Browning's venerable M1911s and Gaston Glock's M21 combat Tupperware. Although, my various M1911s don't swallow some JHPs while Glocks will digest anything. Despite not being particularly fond of the 9x19 cartridge, I've also carried a Sig Sauer P228 and a Browning Hi-Power. The key for me is simply how the hand gun fits my hand.

The oddest "duty" weapon I've ever carried was a pristine but almost 50 year old Sterling L2A3. Surprisingly accurate for a 7" barrel, open bolt subgun. You could write your name with it. I wish I could have brought it home with me.

Another preference: 7.62x51 NATO instead of 5.56x45 NATO which translates to my preference for FALs.

#38 ·
#39 · (Edited)
What about knives? What do you guys like to carry?

I have more knives than sense so I change often but have a few go to guys that see far more pocket time than others.

First is my SOG auto. It is my work around the house knife and standard gym companion. I've had it for years and it flies out every time.
Knife Everyday carry Wood Blade Tool

This Zero Tolerance is a newer addition and I have really enjoyed it. Sadly the torsion bar broke recently making the assisted opening not operate. I used their site and asked for a replacement part and now it's back up and running free of charge.
Blade Tool Composite material Knife Fashion accessory

Then this Gerber. Overall I'm not a huge Gerber fan but this knife is great and has become a standard go to.
Tool Wood Utility knife Hunting knife Blade

#40 ·
This Zero Tolerance is a ball bearing opener with the wave feature. The wave opens the knife as it's pulled from the pocket making it extremely fast. It is super smooth and feels solid.
Tool Everyday carry Utility knife Knife Hunting knife

This Benchmade is another of my nicer carry options. Smooth opening, sharp blade, and great looking handle.
Plant Grey Knife Everyday carry Wood