VOG Forum banner

Guns and the gun oil you use.

86563 1451
I knew oil would get y'all's attention and suck you in.

Nothing much to this thread. Just a place to post gun pics and argue about what gun oil is best.

I just got a new competition wood grip for the first pistol I ever owned. It's a S&W 22A 22LR that has thrown allot of lead during its life without any fuss.

The original grip rubber was getting a bit tacky and I thought she deserved a new one.

Sleeve Air gun Wood Gun barrel Font
1421 - 1440 of 1452 Posts

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,421 ·
Yes Sir, found the 6.5 Creed in match during a zero putting holes in holes at 200 yards with all in the 10 ring, all five were in or touching the X ring And each other. That was during a barrel break-in session doing a zero.

Truth is all I have done is a function check as I have been using Gold Dot and zeroed for such. That round is hard to beat and was issue, so that was all I could use. But the ballistic gel is i impressive with the Norma design. However, you know sometimes things get in the way of a clean shot and the heavier round would be my choice. In the 9mm, with that in mind I carry a Hornady critical-defense round.

View attachment 637774

I think that Norma ammo would be great for a small 9mm like a Glock 43, 48, or 48X.

We had an officer not long ago get into a shooting and shot the turd 17 times with Critical Defense 9mm...... And he lived! Turds are amazing. That made some officers change the ammo they carry. I don't have any in 9mm or 40cal but I do in 45acp. I don't think he would live with 17 rounds from a 45.

· Registered
18,508 Posts
I think that Norma ammo would be great for a small 9mm like a Glock 43, 48, or 48X.

We had an officer not long ago get into a shooting and shot the turd 17 times with Critical Defense 9mm...... And he lived! Turds are amazing. That made some officers change the ammo they carry. I don't have any in 9mm or 40cal but I do in 45acp. I don't think he would live with 17 rounds from a 45.
Well in that case back to Gold Dot as it is still highly rated as the Critical Defense to me is for going through heavy clothing prior to explanation and probably why it went through the Turd. More data for my .45 ACP over the .38 short... I mean 9mm. I only have one due to the size and convenience.

My primary Home Defense is a .45 ACP and a .300 Black-out. Before the flood of course, that caused a boating incident... Hornady is pretty good with those ballistic tips, but I fear having the HP clogged up can effect outcomes.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
I've have some .45 & 9mm Norma MHP that I've purchased on sale buying training ammo. Having second thoughts after watching that video.

• Informative
Reactions: Flyboy

· Registered
7,005 Posts
The best oil… well, now THAT is a very personal thing altogether, lol
I was deer hunting one time years ago. Had my rifle all cleaned up and sighted in. Got to my hunting spot on opening morning and started walking in. SOB, sling swivel is making a god awful squeak. Turned around, pulled the dip stick out of the truck and put a drop of oil on them.

· Registered
4,284 Posts

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,427 ·
When I was in my proactive assignments I carried four mags, some with extensions. Plus a back up gun.... Or two. I always had a 380 stuck to my vest and usually had a baby Glock on my ankle. The baby Glock was also a 40 so my duty mags would work with it in case my duty pistol goes down or is lost.

In my car was more pistol mags and a ton of rifles mags and shotgun shells.

My police car was always sitting the lowest because of all my gear. I've always been the guy that's overly prepared.

I have a 30 round Glock mag but it's not very reliable. I wouldn't carry it in the streets. Magpul makes some nice high cap mags though to give you even more rounds than a extended Glock mag.

· Registered
6,637 Posts
Sig P220 Compact Love:

A few months ago I bought a barely used P220 Compact SAS from a fellow Sigforum member. Friday I was able to spend considerable range time with it. In a word: wonderful.

The first thing I did with the Compact was to remove the very dim oem Sig sites to replace them with the old school Von Stavenhagen (white dot front, white square rear) sites. IMHO, these old school Sig sites are as simple to use as it gets. Sight alignment and sight picture with quick acquisition simply couldn't be easier.

Back to the P220 Compact, what a great shooter. Several 6, 8 and 10 round magazines later and all the Compact seemed to want was more of the same. But the GP100's needed some love as well.

I know many gravitate towards the latest and the seemingly greatest regarding guns, ammunition and caliber. But I certainly can't find a valid reason to feel the need for anything newer.

The P220 Compact, a 3" GP100 and an LCPII in a front pocket holster make my rotation as EDC options.

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,429 ·
Sig P220 Compact Love:

A few months ago I bought a barely used P220 Compact SAS from a fellow Sigforum member. Friday I was able to spend considerable range time with it. In a word: wonderful.

The first thing I did with the Compact was to remove the very dim oem Sig sites to replace them with the old school Von Stavenhagen (white dot front, white square rear) sites. IMHO, these old school Sig sites are as simple to use as it gets. Sight alignment and sight picture with quick acquisition simply couldn't be easier.

Back to the P220 Compact, what a great shooter. Several 6, 8 and 10 round magazines later and all the Compact seemed to want was more of the same. But the GP100's needed some love as well.

I know many gravitate towards the latest and the seemingly greatest regarding guns, ammunition and caliber. But I certainly can't find a valid reason to feel the need for anything newer.

The P220 Compact, a 3" GP100 and an LCPII in a front pocket holster make my rotation as EDC options.
Certainly nothing wrong with sticking to what works.

I've branched out and added some red dots to guns I already had but the wife and I just went to dinner and I carried a snub nosed 1911. Doesn't get much more like school than a 1911.

I honestly think these new shooters that are starting with red dots are giving themselves a strong handicap. What happens when it doesn't work, battery is dead, simply breaks? Now what?

A rookie came to work and had to go to the range because "he couldn't go on the streets." I asked what the range had to do with that and he said his red dot was dead so he needed them to put a battery in it. I asked why he didn't do it himself and he said he didn't have the tools. 🙄 I was less than impressed.

One reason I went with the Deltapoint is the battery door is on top and needs to tools to be changed. His you have to remove the entire sight.... Which is only two screws but still. If it does away from home I like the idea of being able to make a easy swap.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
When I was in my proactive assignments I carried four mags, some with extensions. Plus a back up gun.... Or two. I always had a 380 stuck to my vest and usually had a baby Glock on my ankle. The baby Glock was also a 40 so my duty mags would work with it in case my duty pistol goes down or is lost.

In my car was more pistol mags and a ton of rifles mags and shotgun shells.

My police car was always sitting the lowest because of all my gear. I've always been the guy that's overly prepared.

I have a 30 round Glock mag but it's not very reliable. I wouldn't carry it in the streets. Magpul makes some nice high cap mags though to give you even more rounds than a extended Glock mag.
You mentioned the many loaded magazines, got me wondering if A) all defensive? B) who pays for all the ammo. I would like to think the dept.

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,431 ·
You mentioned the many loaded magazines, got me wondering if A) all defensive? B) who pays for all the ammo. I would like to think the dept.
At my agency we buy our own ammo.... And guns. Much of what I use I've bought. They give you a standard holster, belt, mag and cuff pouches but most upgrade to sometime better.

As for ammo I had all my pistol mags loaded with defensive ammo.

My rifle mags were loaded with either soft points or FMJ. I use colored mag ends to know what I'm grabbing. We are supposed to carry soft points but I figured if I ran through all those mags and the threat was still present some FMJs may be just what I needed.

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,432 ·
So today I took the class I needed to be certified to carry a red dot on my pistol. Class was pretty good but some of the guys really made me shake my head. It's only your job to carry a gun, you'd think they learn how to use it.

Anyways, toward the end we had a competition shooting steel plates. Single elimination six plates per shooter. I ended up beating the class so the instructor, who is a competitive shooter, challenged me to a double or nothing against him.

He only gave himself six rounds and had a weak hit that failed to drop one plate.... But I cleared the steel before him anyways.

It was the first time he's been beat. I was presented with a homemade plaque with my name taped to it. Then since I beat him I got to sign and date the back to go down in the record books. It was obviously all in fun but felt pretty good beating him.

At the end of the class we had to qualify so we were legit. A Lt in the class FAILED! He struggled all day and I just could not believe how terrible he was. People wonder why many cops shoot everything but the bad guy? It's because they suck at shooting. You got to do it to get good and they just don't. I just can not wrap my head around it.

So today I was crowned "pistol sniper champion of the world (today) at the indoor range." That's literally what it said.... Written in sharpie. Like I said it was all in fun. It was actually some really good training and I got a good amount of trigger time. Shooting free ammo is always a good time.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
I've only been shooting for a 18 months. Did a 2k road trip last year to Talladega, Thought it wise to be able to defend. All my pistols except 1 are red dots. I need glasses to read but otherwise fine. My iron sights are far enough away that they are a blur. I put a dot on my first pistol so it's just how I learned, no transition period. I do train with my iron sight pistol, just wear my glasses. That is 18 months of training for me, 7 yards from a appendix draw. They all weren't that good.proud of that one. tap,,,tap,,,tap, working on tap,tap,tap

Attachments

· Registered
9,578 Posts
I was advised that it was not always a good idea to save your targets. The argument went like this, ' if you're such a good shot, then you could have shot and wounded, not killed your attacker.' This from an attorney. Of course, it might be different for LEO's. They usually take it in the shorts whether right or not.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
I was advised that it was not always a good idea to save your targets. The argument went like this, ' if you're such a good shot, then you could have shot and wounded, not killed your attacker.' This from an attorney. Of course, it might be different for LEO's. They usually take it in the shorts whether right or not.

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,436 ·
I've heard that before but it doesn't hold up in court. The ability to make a precise shot under stress is extremely difficult. Plus if you are shooting someone you are in fear of death or serious bodily harm. In that deadly force is justified and it is the suspects fault for challenging you. You have no responsibility to keep them alive, that's their job. It is much easier for them to stop and walk away than you shot them in the knee while they come at you. Hit them center mass until they stop coming.

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,437 ·
Palmetto State Arms has that Norma MHP is 380, 9, and 45 on sale. $8-10 a box of 20.

I ordered some in 380 and 45.

• Informative
Reactions: jwfuchs1

· Registered
4,284 Posts

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,439 ·
Spend $150 and get free shipping

I compared the two. Palmetto was actually cheaper by a few bucks for what I was ordering and they had 45acp when Norma didn't.... Which I thought strange. If already bought some 9mm and just bought more 9mm duty ammo so I didn't pick up any more MHP in it.

· Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,440 ·
Palmetto has many Heritage Rough Rider revolvers on sale. I ended up buying one I'll give to my nephew and one for me. They are marked down and have a $30 rebate from Heritage. His was $109 and mine was $119 so they'll be under $100 after the rebate. I didn't need it but at that price I pulled the trigger. The MSRP on mine is $185 and locally I didn't it find it cheaper than $169, not that many places actually have it in sock.

I have a Ruger Wrangler but it's a 22LR that can not accept a 22Mag cylinder, the Heritage though can. For $30-40 you can get a 22mag cylinder which is what I plan to do.

This is the one I got. It's a simulated case hardened finish with a 6.5 inch barrel. I got the nephew a regular one. Nice and classic.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

• Informative
Reactions: jwfuchs1
1421 - 1440 of 1452 Posts