VOG Forum banner

Guns and the gun oil you use.

86563 1451
I knew oil would get y'all's attention and suck you in.

Nothing much to this thread. Just a place to post gun pics and argue about what gun oil is best.

I just got a new competition wood grip for the first pistol I ever owned. It's a S&W 22A 22LR that has thrown allot of lead during its life without any fuss.

The original grip rubber was getting a bit tacky and I thought she deserved a new one.

Sleeve Air gun Wood Gun barrel Font
1401 - 1420 of 1452 Posts

· Super Moderator
26,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,401 ·

· Registered
1,360 Posts

· Registered
6,637 Posts
The other day (10/22) my daily Ammoland email included a special on the Black Dog 50 round drum for a Ruger 10/22. Ofcourse I ordered two at $30 each and they came in yesterday. I'm anxious to get these fully tested. They look great on the regular 10/22 as well as on the Charger 22 Takedown. Oh, the brass catcher I bought from ShopRuger also looks and works great on the Charger 22.

· Super Moderator
26,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,406 ·
The other day (10/22) my daily Ammoland email included a special on the Black Dog 50 round drum for a Ruger 10/22. Ofcourse I ordered two at $30 each and they came in yesterday. I'm anxious to get these fully tested. They look great on the regular 10/22 as well as on the Charger 22 Takedown. Oh, the brass catcher I bought from ShopRuger also looks and works great on the Charger 22.
50 rounds? It's not like squirrels have bulletproof vests. You know the thing.

Good ol slow Joe.

Drums are fun. I hope they work well.

· Registered
6,883 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen. I bet that Charger looks sweet with those 2 upgrades.

· Registered
1999 V92C & 2009 VISION
1,569 Posts
In her quest to become a well rounded shooter Mrs Byte has taken up the shotgun. She's got the pistol & rifle down & is looking to become a triple threat. She had bought herself a cheap semiauto 410 at Walmart that turned out to be a lesson in frustrating malfunctions so she got a Mossberg 505 youth model pump action in 410 that's working out much better. She killed everything she shot at last weekend but is still a bit reluctant to try her hand at shooting clays out of the air. I had a blast with it hitting clays & with a 410 it's challenging but very doable. Ultimately she wants to shoot a turkey in the spring & there's plenty of them around here.

· Super Moderator
26,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,410 ·
In her quest to become a well rounded shooter Mrs Byte has taken up the shotgun. She's got the pistol & rifle down & is looking to become a triple threat. She had bought herself a cheap semiauto 410 at Walmart that turned out to be a lesson in frustrating malfunctions so she got a Mossberg 505 youth model pump action in 410 that's working out much better. She killed everything she shot at last weekend but is still a bit reluctant to try her hand at shooting clays out of the air. I had a blast with it hitting clays & with a 410 it's challenging but very doable. Ultimately she wants to shoot a turkey in the spring & there's plenty of them around here.
My first gun was a single shot break open .410. My brother and I shot skeet often and I had two buddies that were making fun of us because we had such little guns, them having a a 16ga and a 12ga. So we invited them over and proceeded to smoke them in skeet shooting. If you can shoot birds and clays with a .410 all others are easy. Like the .22 I find the .410 a super fun round. It is certainly under appreciated and can make a fine home defense option.

· Registered
9,578 Posts
410 was I recommended to my Mum-in-law. Figured she could handle much easier than a handgun and not shoot herself. Also won't shoot through walls and endanger the neighbors. And the pump action alone commands respect from anyone who hears it through the door.

· Registered
18,508 Posts
410 was I recommended to my Mum-in-law. Figured she could handle much easier than a handgun and not shoot herself. Also won't shoot through walls and endanger the neighbors. And the pump action alone commands respect from anyone who hears it through the door.
Mine too and was a Harrison or Harrington or something like that and is in a hall closet for a snake gun. Getting me to use it requires a Bell Boy in the Bride‘s garden as all others get a pass.

Had one get my attention yesterday as I was messing with a brush pile. All I could see was about one foot of him as I asked what are you doing here? He stated in his best James Earl Jones voice “Looking for a rascally rabbit…

Being the section I was looking at, was the size of my forearm, I simply stated, “Carry-on!” Giving a wide berth…

· Registered
6,637 Posts
I’ve been a .357Sig fan since the round first came out in the Sig P229. Love that combination as well as the Lasermax guide rod system. Then a few years later I added a P239 SAS 2T in .357Sig and also installed a Lasermax. For many years I’ve wanted a classic Sig trifecta which would mean the P226, in .357Sig. On Monday I found a mint P226R in .357Sig with a total of 7 mags at a can’t pass up price. It’s now inbound to me. So yea, time to get another Lasermax.
Yes, I know the prices on .357Sig ammo are crazy high now. Fortunately I’ve been buying that round for many years and now have a bit. Plus I have a .40S&W barrel for all 3.. I have no interest in the .40S&W round but I have squirreled some of that away as well. Just because.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

· Super Moderator
26,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,416 ·
I’ve been a .357Sig fan since the round first came out in the Sig P229. Love that combination as well as the Lasermax guide rod system. Then a few years later I added a P239 SAS 2T in .357Sig and also installed a Lasermax. For many years I’ve wanted a classic Sig trifecta which would mean the P226, in .357Sig. On Monday I found a mint P226R in .357Sig with a total of 7 mags at a can’t pass up price. It’s now inbound to me. So yea, time to get another Lasermax.
Yes, I know the prices on .357Sig ammo are crazy high now. Fortunately I’ve been buying that round for many years and now have a bit. Plus I have a .40S&W barrel for all 3.. I have no interest in the .40S&W round but I have squirreled some of that away as well. Just because.
View attachment 637635
I like that round as well. Before getting hired I bought a Glock 31 in it so I could shoot it before the academy. Shortly before starting they decided everyone needed to carry a 40cal so I had to then buy a Glk22. I kept the 31 for a while but it just sat in the safe as I had other Glocks I carried for work and off duty. I ended up trading it.

Great round though. Very powerful yet not bad to shoot.

· Registered
9,578 Posts
@Chattanooga_Mark Got a Sig SP2022 several years back at an insane price. Two actually, a nine for the wife and a .40 for me. Then picked up a .357 barrell for my .40. Like the round, but using the .40 right now. As you said, ammo very expensive. Were I in your situation with a lot of ammo, I would reload. I have all of that. Just need brass, bullets and powder.

· Super Moderator
26,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,418 ·
Just ordered some new duty ammo and it got me wondering what y'all like to carry for defensive ammo?

For years on duty I've carried a combo of Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger alternating.

I'm switching barrels next week and needed some 9mm ammo. I couldn't find a source that had both Gold Dot and Ranger so I'm going with just Winchester Ranger, 124 +P Bonded. For those that don't know Ranger is extremely close to Black Talon ammo.

I still need to test fire stone of that Norma ammo I bought. You shoot any yet @Flyboy . Being so low grain I don't trust just throwing them in a carry gun. Especially my duty pistol as it has a heavier spring. Though I am putting a stick weight one back in since I'm going to a 9mm. Still don't see me carrying that ammo for duty.

• Informative
Reactions: jwfuchs1

· Registered
18,508 Posts
Just ordered some new duty ammo and it got me wondering what y'all like to carry for defensive ammo?

For years on duty I've carried a combo of Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger alternating.

I'm switching barrels next week and needed some 9mm ammo. I couldn't find a source that had both Gold Dot and Ranger so I'm going with just Winchester Ranger, 124 +P Bonded. For those that don't know Ranger is extremely close to Black Talon ammo.

I still need to test fire stone of that Norma ammo I bought. You shoot any yet @Flyboy . Being so low grain I don't trust just throwing them in a carry gun. Especially my duty pistol as it has a heavier spring. Though I am putting a stick weight one back in since I'm going to a 9mm. Still don't see me carrying that ammo for duty.
Yes Sir, found the 6.5 Creed in match during a zero putting holes in holes at 200 yards with all in the 10 ring, all five were in or touching the X ring And each other. That was during a barrel break-in session doing a zero.

Truth is all I have done is a function check as I have been using Gold Dot and zeroed for such. That round is hard to beat and was issue, so that was all I could use. But the ballistic gel is i impressive with the Norma design. However, you know sometimes things get in the way of a clean shot and the heavier round would be my choice. In the 9mm, with that in mind I carry a Hornady critical-defense round.

Wood Font Metal Box Art

1401 - 1420 of 1452 Posts