VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it absolutely necessary to add tuner at time of installing the Ground Pounder exhaust, or is it fine to do a little bit down the road? Planning on the Maximus, and have it tuned by 801 Motoworx.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Don't procrastinate, you are making a lean running bike much leaner. And don't be surprised if you get a lot of popping, accel and decel

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
You can buy the Ground Pounders now. Just don't install them until you're ready to tune. In fact, set them on the bathroom counter so you look at them every morning while getting ready for work. This will cut in half the amount of time it takes to save up for the tune.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Generally speaking, you can usually get away with changing just the exhaust and not adding a tuner if you have the stock airbox. However, changing to such a short open exhaust on an already lean engine without adding fuel is not a good idea.

@PreachSF what say you?

And here's a pic just because I love my GP's!

View attachment 492163

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Is it absolutely necessary to add tuner at time of installing the Ground Pounder exhaust, or is it fine to do a little bit down the road? Planning on the Maximus, and have it tuned by 801 Motoworx.
YES. YOU MUST HAVE A FUEL TUNER INSTALLED TO RUN THESE PIPES WITHOUT DAMAGING YOUR ENGINE.

Regardless if there is a stock airbox or not. Victory's run lean as f**k from the factory, and when you add a set of pipes that flows so much more air, you are only making the lean condition even worse. YOU HAVE TO ADD FUEL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you should call Scott at Conquest Customs. He will supply you with a map on a power commander the the gp. My brother just installed them with a tune and I am almost certain you need one if you have them.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
That's why I tagged PreachSF

@Schwerdt1 just and fyi, Preach is with Conquest Customs. There is your answer, right from the source.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
YES. YOU MUST HAVE A FUEL TUNER INSTALLED TO RUN THESE PIPES WITHOUT DAMAGING YOUR ENGINE.

Regardless if there is a stock airbox or not. Victory's run lean as f**k from the factory, and when you add a set of pipes that flows so much more air, you are only making the lean condition even worse. YOU HAVE TO ADD FUEL.
Can you guys do the fuel tuners and set up at Conquest ? In other words..... I put Big Honkers on Ginas Magnum. Stock air box. What can you do to help until I can get to Kevin in Oct to do a dynotune.

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
I will likely add a Lloydz filter however I’m on the fence with a tuner which is why I didn’t mention a Lloydz timing wheel.

Sorry fellas didn’t mean to jack the thread but my issue is the same cept Honkers are on and there is definitely popping on both ends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I just got a 2006 Hammer and the previous owner has fitted ground pounder headers. They are very loud and probably have no back pressure. He had a fuel management system that he hadn't fitted that was supposed to come with bike but didn't. He said he only did 50 miles on the bike with the pipes fitted. My questions are, is there any likely hood of damage and where can I get a fuel tuner to suit it here in the UK ? I'm new to fuel injection so it's a learning curve for me. A set of Victory stage 1,s came with bike, it's a heavy exhaust but would it be better to refit them? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

Yep ! Valves and or Pistons don't come cheap.
I did a proper plug chop hard in 4th with Freedom Perf. Slash and a Ness Ram and close inspection of brand new plugs showed blue first turn of thread and little black speckles on the white insulator.
I rode very sedately to get PCV and Dyno tune.
The best bike deserves the best treatment.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Hi guys, I just got a 2006 Hammer and the previous owner has fitted ground pounder headers. They are very loud and probably have no back pressure. He had a fuel management system that he hadn't fitted that was supposed to come with bike but didn't. He said he only did 50 miles on the bike with the pipes fitted. My questions are, is there any likely hood of damage and where can I get a fuel tuner to suit it here in the UK ? I'm new to fuel injection so it's a learning curve for me. A set of Victory stage 1,s came with bike, it's a heavy exhaust but would it be better to refit them? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Welcome to the VOG.

Does the bike still have the OEM airbox?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.