VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new ground pounders should be here tonight or tomorrow. I opted for the stainless steel version and they come prewrapped from conquest customs. My question here then is the wrap worth leaving on? People seem to have divided opinions on wrapping and I'd gladly take it off to prevent damaging my new (and not inexpensive) exhaust, but if it won't really cause any problems then I'm fine leaving it on.

Basically does anyone have any concrete examples of why wrapping is bad/good or does wrapping mainly have a bad name from car guys who crack their headers with it? If I'm going to take off the wrapping id like to do it before this weekend when I try to install them.

Also, sorry no bike pics, shes in pieces lol.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
If you have the stainless steel ones, then you have nothing to worry about. Unless you don't like the look, I'd keep the wrap on. It helps with the heat some and looks great too.

The problem with wrap is when it's used on mild steel pipes. The wrap traps moisture and will rust out the pipes.

BTW, you'll love the GP's

View attachment 492683

Reactions: Half_Crazy

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
What Pyro said. This is kinda related to an unrelated thread if that makes any sense. It’s about misinformation. Or in this case a very specific piece of information is assumed to be true under all circumstances instead of the specific one. The heat wrap works GREAT on stainless steel. Stainless steel doesn’t rust and rot. Mild steel which is much cheaper to produce headers with does rust and rot when wrapped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all, it seemed kind of odd to me that there was such a huge split about wrapping. From what I've read it seems like its mostly car guys wrapping their mild steel intake headers and causing them to crack but I wasn't sure if the some problem would occur with stainless steel exhaust. Sounds like my worries were unjustified. I'm looking forward to getting my pipes on and finally getting a picture up once all the mods are complete.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Thanks all, it seemed kind of odd to me that there was such a huge split about wrapping. From what I've read it seems like its mostly car guys wrapping their mild steel intake headers and causing them to crack but I wasn't sure if the some problem would occur with stainless steel exhaust. Sounds like my worries were unjustified. I'm looking forward to getting my pipes on and finally getting a picture up once all the mods are complete.
Which color and type of wrap did you choose?

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
There’s something else about wrap that might be of interest too. The more heat you can trap inside the exhaust the more power you can get out of the engine. So if we go back in time a little, racers loved wrap. Didn’t matter if the headers only lasted a season it was all getting torn down and rebuilt anyway. So hot rodders copy what the racers are doing with their street machines only to find out there’s a downside. Hence the need to use stainless if you want this to last for more than a racing season. I know of guys that have had Conquest pipes for ten years that still look and perform great.

Reactions: CPT PYRO

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's something else about wrap that might be of interest too. The more heat you can trap inside the exhaust the more power you can get out of the engine. So if we go back in time a little, racers loved wrap. Didn't matter if the headers only lasted a season it was all getting torn down and rebuilt anyway. So hot rodders copy what the racers are doing with their street machines only to find out there's a downside. Hence the need to use stainless if you want this to last for more than a racing season. I know of guys that have had Conquest pipes for ten years that still look and perform great.
Thats awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing them. And i'll be more than happy if I get 10 years out of them

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I went with the black fade to titanium. I'm really trying to keep the matte black look as I really think it works especially with the white accents. I'm hoping the fade takes a while to get around to
That's the wrap I got.

Here's a tip. Get some DEI HT Silicone Coating in Black. Spray the pipes real good and let them dry before putting them on the bike. This will help it keep it's color. I did this when I first got my ground pounders but the spray can kept acting up and it was spitting and clogging. After about 6 months, I started to see some faded spots especially close to the jugs. I took the pipes back off, bought a new can from Autozone, and reapplied. Seems to be holding up great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the wrap I got.

Here's a tip. Get some DEI HT Silicone Coating in Black. Spray the pipes real good and let them dry before putting them on the bike. This will help it keep it's color. I did this when I first got my ground pounders but the spray can kept acting up and it was spitting and clogging. After about 6 months, I started to see some faded spots especially close to the jugs. I took the pipes back off, bought a new can from Autozone, and reapplied. Seems to be holding up great.
So they don't come pre wrapped from conquest then? Thats good to know.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
So they don't come pre wrapped from conquest then? Thats good to know.
I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Yes they come pre wrapped. I used a coat hanger and hooked it in the flange, hung them in a tree and sprayed them.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Yes they come pre wrapped. I used a coat hanger and hooked it in the flange, hung them in a tree and sprayed them.
Ah that makes sense. I'll definitely give it a shot, as long as the rain holds out today or tomorrow. I plan on putting them on Saturday so that should be plenty of time to dry. Thanks for the tip. The longer I can keep the black, the better I think. Also, they look pretty sweet on your bike! I'll have to upload some pictures once everything is done and the pieces are all back together.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Ah that makes sense. I'll definitely give it a shot, as long as the rain holds out today or tomorrow. I plan on putting them on Saturday so that should be plenty of time to dry. Thanks for the tip. The longer I can keep the black, the better I think. Also, they look pretty sweet on your bike! I'll have to upload some pictures once everything is done and the pieces are all back together.
Thanks and yes please post some pics when you get it all together.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm considering getting some GPs for my bike but am wondering about the location of the ends of the pipes in relation to my leg. I ride either my HB or the HD to work most days and get stuck in traffic all the time. I don't want to put pipes on that will set my leg on fire. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I'm considering getting some GPs for my bike but am wondering about the location of the ends of the pipes in relation to my leg. I ride either my HB or the HD to work most days and get stuck in traffic all the time. I don't want to put pipes on that will set my leg on fire. Any thoughts?
Use this pic as a guide.

View attachment 494069

Not going to lie, it get's hot in the TN heat but not unbearable. The DEI flexible heat shield helps a lot but I'm 5'10" and my foot rests naturally right at the turnouts so I have to adjust my stance some.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having just rode mine yesterday after getting them installed (finally!) My right leg did get pretty warm, and depending on where you put your foot at stop lights etc, you might be getting exhaust blasted right on your ankle. During riding, I found that my natural foot placement kept my leg well enough away from the pipe so as to not get crazy hot though if you ride with your legs tight into the bike, I can see how people would complain of melted pants, etc...

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Having just rode mine yesterday after getting them installed (finally!) My right leg did get pretty warm, and depending on where you put your foot at stop lights etc, you might be getting exhaust blasted right on your ankle. During riding, I found that my natural foot placement kept my leg well enough away from the pipe so as to not get crazy hot though if you ride with your legs tight into the bike, I can see how people would complain of melted pants, etc...
Got the pics ready?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.