Greetings! Returning to riding after long hiatus on a 2012 XCT | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Greetings! Returning to riding after long hiatus on a 2012 XCT

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Havoc70, May 10, 2021.

1. Havoc70

Havoc70 Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 XCT
    Me: I haven't been on a bike for a while. I'm 6'10" and a dime or so north of 300 pounds so let's see what I can actually fit on. Hey, that Victory Cross Country Tour sure is pretty. And I fit on it! Let's buy it!

Also me: We haven't ridden since 1989. And that was a 650 Nighthawk. Are you insane?

Also also me: You already know the answer to that question. We're buying the bike, shut up fellas.

The voic, er, fellas: Fine.

And thus I am now the ridiculously proud owner of a motorcycle that FAR outweighs me and my abilities. But that said, my lord, she is a beauty. And, I'm not one to just hop on it and ride because my license still has the coveted "M1" endorsement on it. I am going to take classes (haha on a 250 Yamaha V-star, I wonder how well my knees taste?).

I've always had a love affair with Victory motorcycles, and I'm really glad to finally have one. Now to just get back up to speed at the ripe old age of 50.9 (hello, 51, see you in a couple of weeks) so I don't kill myself on the thing. Floorboards are weird to me, I'm used to pegs. What is this nonsense about having to lift my foot to use the rear brake? That's just....not right (well, it probably is, but even buried deep in my aged gray matter some things are remembered).

But man the bike just oozes comfort, style, and class. Sure, my friend who rides a Harley gave me crap, so I just had to retort with, "Why? Because you spend more time fixing your bike than riding it and I won't have that problem?".

He hasn't returned my texts for a couple of weeks now....I kinda miss him. I miss his bourbon collection more.

IMG_8064.JPG

2. T0ng5

T0ng5 Active Member

2012 Crossroads
    Beautiful bike bud, congratulations, and welcome! I'm sure others will mention, don't ask about oil, we only use Olive oil so when we pass the HD guys they think we have a popcorn popper in our giant saddlebags. Definitely be careful, she'll bite if you don't treat her right ;-), and you'll get used to the floorboards.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Havoc70

Havoc70 Member

2012 XCT
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil it is. I have no doubt she'll bite, but something tells me she's pretty communicative about when she's getting close to the point. Just sitting on it, it doesn't feel as heavy as it is.

4. tyrfryr

tyrfryr Well-Known Member

Cross Roads Classic
    Welcome to the VOG, and back to two wheel riding. Nice bike, I think you will come to enjoy the boards and you might want to look into a heel shifter.
    At 50.9, you might still be on the punk-kid side of the hill on the VOG, enjoy your ride and be careful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1