VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I've had my vision a few months now and this is my first new topic here and second post. (woohoo)I love the site layout and, reading over the posts, everyone is genuinely helpful and kind. I'm finding alot of useful information on many topics and some I couldn't find so well using search. So, if I might ask..
-Is there an issue with the fuel gauge not giving a 'full' indication after filling up? Mine seems to only go just above 1/2 tank.
-I realized thereis no side stand safety cut-off on my '08, is there a mod available?
-Riding in Fla is hot as many of you know. I've seen some lower air deflector add-ons available, can anyone offer any first hand experience on their usefulness?
-Why is a tiny piece of chrome trim a hundred bucks and every other accessory five hundred?!? (retoricle) :)
Best,
Bobby

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bhayes said:
-Is there an issue with the fuel gauge not giving a 'full' indication after filling up? Mine seems to only go just above 1/2 tank.
I found that you HAVE to fill the bike up on the "jiffy stand" or it will NOT fill all the full!
-I realized thereis no side stand safety cut-off on my '08, is there a mod available?

Do not know about this one, someone will be along shortly to answer this!
-Riding in Fla is hot as many of you know. I've seen some lower air deflector add-ons available, can anyone offer any first hand experience on their usefulness?

The lower air deflectors make a world of difference, but only at speed...If you are stuck in stop and go traffic jsut grin and bear it!!
-Why is a tiny piece of chrome trim a hundred bucks and every other accessory five hundred?!? (retoricle) :)
Best,
Bobby
Congrats and enjoy, I know i am....I Am a new owner as well, I got my Vision on Saturday!!! Ride safe and take care!!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
In terms of the lower wind deflectors, they do assist in keeping the rider a bit more comfortable while moving. They do nothing when riding in traffic or at a stop.

For the fuel gauge, go see the Dealer as others have reported similar issues. (I'm sure others can chime-in here with more details). It sounds like you're filling the tank, the mechanism is just not recognizing the tank's fuel level. When refueling on the side stand, just understand that's one of the bike's quirks. When you get near the top, you'll need to stop for a few seconds to allow the fuel to "settle," then you can add more fuel. Some riders shake the bike a bit to speed up the process, but I've found that if you give it a few seconds you'll see the fuel level dropping from the neck of the tank.

About the price of accessories...no arguments here!

·
Registered
279 Posts

How much are you putting in and at what point? Once my light comes on I typically get about 5+ gallons in. I do this while on the side stand and I have to give the bike a little bump/shake. I also keep the bike on "range" vs. any of the other options on display. I normally have a 250 to empty...
I don't know of one... I guess it was just something that I got use to after a bit with my Kingpin when I came from a Honda. Now, it's just part of my take off routine..
I have heard many people talk highly of these and what they can do. Personally, I can't get past the look of them. But like Joe was saying, in traffic nothing you can do, but feel the burn...
If you didn't want it; it would be free!!
COngrats, enjoy and if there is anything, just give a hollar and we'll all do what we can. If you find something that can help; please share!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BlueDemon said:
How much are you putting in and at what point? Once my light comes on I typically get about 5+ gallons in. I do this while on the side stand and I have to give the bike a little bump/shake. I also keep the bike on "range" vs. any of the other options on display. I normally have a 250 to empty...
Very interesting. I've been refueling standing it up, guess I'll play with it a bit... jiggle, bump, tap tap.
I don't know of one... I guess it was just something that I got use to after a bit with my Kingpin when I came from a Honda. Now, it's just part of my take off routine..
I'm getting more used to it, I made it a part of my pre-flight checks,butI still keep finding myself looking down to the left side once down the road.
I have heard many people talk highly of these and what they can do. Personally, I can't get past the look of them. But like Joe was saying, in traffic nothing you can do, but feel the burn...
Exactly, I wouldn't want to monkey up the looks if they are that prominent, I think I can learn to endure it without them a few months out of the year.
If you didn't want it; it would be free!!
Roger that!
COngrats, enjoy and if there is anything, just give a hollar and we'll all do what we can. If you find something that can help; please share!
Will do and thank you sir.

·
Registered
807 Posts

It's hot here in Vegas too. I've been considering one of those water vests, but I already have enough useless pieces of clothing in my closets.
Oh ya- welcome, new visionary ;-)

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Bhayes, first off welcome.
I have the lowers and absolutly love them, Now here in Chicago we can go from 95 during the day to Low 60s at night during the summer. So i use them for air flow over my legs (not to cool the engine) and fully deployed to block the cool evening air and keep the pins warm. After having them, i cant see how anyone can do without.
After filling the tank on the bike ive noticed that if you fill it quickly it tops off and then if i wait, i can get almost a full gallon in after that. From now on i fill it slowly and have no problems.
Something else to do, or not actually, Dont get in the habit of resting the fuel filler on the side of the tank with full weight of the hose and head on the side where the cap screws on. Its very soft and thin in this area and will bend the sides ever so slightly and ive heard reports of people smelling fumes while riding because the cap doesnt screw in perfectly.
Have fun And be safe !

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi the quick answer is that the fuel tank is in 2 halves and it takes awhile for the fuel the transfer from the RH to the LH side , fill up too quickly and it looks full , but it isn't.Compare witha HD VROD fuel guage , they are super unreliable , going from 1/4 full to empty with warning light on back to half then back to 1/4 in 2 miles as you watch , hopeless , cheers MartyQ

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't mind the looks of the lower air deflectors. They are transparent and look just like additions of the ones that came on the bike. My wife and I call them A/C and heaters. They make a huge difference so I ask if she wants the A/C or heat on. You are much more comfy in hot weather and can really ride in some very cool temps with them. They also keep your legs and feet nearly completely dry in rain. I do sure with they would come up with some better highway pegs that are up higher and adjustable for taller riders. I miss being able to relocate my feet periodically. This does more to stop butt fatigue than any seat upgrades I have found. If anyone knows of any out there I would appreciate hearing about them. I realize they may be difficult to have because of the design of the fairing and lowers.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks very good input Dean.... I haven't been letting the nozzle rest in the filler when refueling, but I have noticed fumes when riding twisties. Maybe the bike's previous Dad made a booboo. Interesting.
Thanks guys for your input on the lower deflectors. My right calf was roasting today on my morning ride heading up the Turnpike, I had to occassionally put my right heel up by the front tipover and get some airflow up my pant leg for relief...jeesh.
I will certainly be ordering those when I finish typing this.
Oh, thanks again for the advice regarding the fuel gauge, I actually got it to read 'full' this morning!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dimonback said:
I've been considering one of those water vests, but I already have enough useless pieces of clothing in my closets.
Your comment about hydration vests caught my eye. They work quite well! Bought mine from a Harley dealer for about $45. They last about a year or about 45-50 uses, according to the lable. Soak 'em in a sink for about 10 mins. Makes a huge difference. The only ***** about them, is that they do drip as you're wearing them, so be sure to wear pants that you don't mind getting damp.
Vince.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.