VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had discussed on my bulletin, my green light difficulties at left turn lights not sensing my Kingpin, since then I got my hands on a magnet from a Pacemaker rep friend and put it under the center of my highway bar securing it with electrical tape. I went to one of the notorious signals and WOW it actually worked! I need to test it at a couple other lights just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but I need to do it early or late so there's no cars behind me at the more popular signals. So far there doesn't seem to be any interference with my electrical system. I'll update later when I get a chance to test the other lights. Has anyone used an old speaker magnet?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
So far ive been lucky with the Vision. I think its big enough to trigger the sensors.
Ive got a bunch of old speakers, that might work but i dont know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good stuff, I never considered a magnet myself.

I'm not sure if it varies state to state, but they I understand the law after 2 cycles you can legally turn left, or go straight on red. You may want to do a little research before you try it, but that's the way I understand it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

My street had a light installed last year, even if I put my pin on one of the cut lines, it would not trigger the light.
I called city traffic division and they adjusted the sensitivity so now my bike triggers every time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Usually I can see where the trip lines are and try to position my bike over it. Sometimes it doesnt work so I just go. Your state law may vary but it's legal in MN.

MINNESOTA RED LIGHT LAW
Sec. 42. Minnesota Statutes 2000, section 169.06, is amended by adding a subdivision to read: Subd. 9. [AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSE RELATING TO UNCHANGING TRAFFIC CONTROL SIGNAL.]
(a)A person operating a motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by enteringor crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signalagainst a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if theperson establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
(3)the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, ifprogrammed or engineered to change to a green light only afterdetecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparentlyfailed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and
(4)no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway tobe crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that itdoes not constitute an immediate hazard.
(b)The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violationfor entering or crossing an intersection controlled by atraffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide adefense to any other civil or criminal action.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Before I purchased the Vision, I asked the dealer about this as I experienced this issue with other bikes I owned in the past. He quickly stated that the Vision WILL trigger the turn signals.

He was correct!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had the one BMW sells for bikes on my '99 then my '03. It seemed to help. Of course as posted the best thing is to get the DOT to adjust the sensors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of ten left turn signals I hit, I triggered eight of them. People with cars complain about one of the two most difficult lights. I plan to ask the city about that light. I want to try the other light one more time before I call the city to see if the sensitivity can be reset. If the magnet is the trigger, I plan to paint it so it isn't so obvious. So far no problems with the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just make sure the magnet is no where near your ECU. If your ignition switch is on with the magnet near it you risk wiping the ROM.Sounds like the bottom of the highway bars should be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ok I'm confessing that I bought my Kingpin strictly for the looks first, how it felt sitting on it second, reviews third. I know nothing technical so I have no idea what the ECU or the ROM is. I just love riding it and taking it on long adventures with my husband "Linedog" and his vision.
So what is ECU and ROM, I'd love to learn.
Also and update again on the stubborn lights... I'm calling the city on those lights! I had Linedog with me on his Vision and we could't trigger the light. I was on the sensor closest to the light, he was behind me on the next sensor... NOTHING. All I know is 8 out of 10 worked and I plan to keep the magnet on for now.
I have pictures of it at my page is anyone wants to take a look and let me know if there might be an electrical issue.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Our bikes have enough metal in them to rigger most light loops.

If you find one that you regularly have probs with call the city or traffic authority.

I find if I ride and stop over the most part of the loops, it triggers just fine.

If not, I will usually merge right and make the block. If I wait 3 cycles (yeah right) and it wont trigger Im goin for it.

Sometimes the loops are just not set right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The ECU is your Electronic Control Unit. It manages the firing of your plugs, fuel-injection, among various other aspects of the bike while running. Think of it as the "brain" of the bike.

The ROM is the memory for the "brain" that stores pertinent data such as your fuel map as it pertains to the tuning of your bike.

Granted these are very vague descriptions, but should give you the gist of it.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

I inquired about the effects of magnet on electronics a while back when I tried them for the same reason with some other people, the consensus was they would not affect anything.
Take a look at the size of the magnets in the speakers used on bikes these days, speakers are everywhere on bike and every thing works OK
Regards

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've got one on my way to work. I have never gotten it to trigger with my bike. If I am the only one in line and it doesn't turn green I just wait for the oncoming traffic to go and take off. After looking both ways for the police :)
I'm not holding my breath on calling local DOT, they spent $60,000 on a traffic light study on this road and at 7:30 in the morning they still don't have the lights timed so that you can keep moving on the "Expressway"
5 years and haven't been stopped yet, knock on wood.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I had one on my old Honda before my upgrade to my Vegas. It worked flawlessly. I had five lights in town that I couldn't trigger. After I put the signal sorcerer on my bike, they all triggered properly. I tried them on the Vegas without the signal sorcerer and they wouldn't work. Once I put a new magnet on the Vegas, voila!! just like magic. I have 10,000 miles on the Vegas and the magnet hasn't effected it one bit. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts

Let's hope some poor bastard with a pacemaker doesn't sit too close behind you at the light!

So, if they are too light to pick up the signal, how come they are heavy enough to catch you at the speed cameras? :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.