VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that I move from car to bike and vice versa. Does everything I need it to. Comes with both mounts and needed power cables.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Dont think you can go wrong with either. Both are good IMO

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I am also in the market for a new GPS unit and have just one question that I cant find in their features. I see it comes with a USB cord but after that the info is limited. Can I sit on my computer, map out my route (like I used to do with Streets & Trips) and download it into the GPS unit? If not is there one that can do that and is waterproof?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
you can't use streets and trips but the garmin gives you software that allows you to map out then download.

i've got the 2820 which is watertight and goes easily between the bike and the car. The upside is it's a 'dead' model and refurb's can be had for $125 or less and include the 1 year warranty. I never seem to get more than 3 years out of a GPS before they die and this is actually cheaper than buying the new maps which quickly become outdated. I wish I had got the bluetooth/MP3 player model they had out for a while now that I got my Scala headset.

I'm waiting for the day of an Onstar style GPS device that updates all the time for the region you're in. It's not too far out, but hopefully it won't be cost prohibitive.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Here's a NEW option:

Garmin's Nuvifone

It also includes a 3 megapixel camera with GeoTagging, that records the GPS info inside the photo data and allows you to see exactly where the photo was taken.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
In the car i have had Magellan which is a great product and now i have a Nuvi 660 also a great product. On the bike i have the Garmin 2820 and it works great.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
KYSO said:
I would like reviews on the Tom Tom Ryder for motorcycles and Garmin. I want to get one for the bike and one for the car.
My buddy had the Tom Tom and through it away, it was always locking up, always at the worst time, so he would have to power down and up to reboot
He now has the Zumo 660
I have the Zumo 550
But prefer the Magellan brand, faster boot up, you can edit the route on the fly simply by touching the road you want to take on the screen. Only problem is they are not built for motorcycles, and they are not waterproof, I had one of my bike and loved it until I let it get wet. They are half the price of a Zumo, I would carry a zip lock baggie and take it off once the weather got bad

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

Garmin now offersupdated maps for a flat fee that is suppsed to be for "the life of your gps" whatever that really is. I have had my Zumo for about 3 years and the only problems I have had have been:
The rubber weather flap on the mount has broken but they sent me a replacment n/c
Software changes made me reload or update the loading software (to load routes or pois to unit). Before the update reload the computer no longer talked to the unit.
A few times (2 or 3)while in route the gps recalculated and shut itself off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
redpin04 said:
you can't use streets and trips but the garmin gives you software that allows you to map out then download.

i've got the 2820 which is watertight and goes easily between the bike and the car. The upside is it's a 'dead' model and refurb's can be had for $125 or less and include the 1 year warranty. I never seem to get more than 3 years out of a GPS before they die and this is actually cheaper than buying the new maps which quickly become outdated. I wish I had got the bluetooth/MP3 player model they had out for a while now that I got my Scala headset.

I'm waiting for the day of an Onstar style GPS device that updates all the time for the region you're in. It's not too far out, but hopefully it won't be cost prohibitive.
Can you give me a link for those refurbs or the one with the XM, I believe the 2830? Thanks

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

I have used a Garmin 2720 the last 3 years. Very dependable. Even the old 2720 will get you anywhere you want to go. MapSourse has been very helpful for planning trips but after the trip is planned,Idon't download theroute I just enter waypoints.
My next GPS will be the Zumo.
Because I use waypoints the GPS picks the route, and sometimes I don't always agree with it and I will start to argue with it. (Damn thing is always right)
Does anyone else talk to their GPS?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Rollin said:
Does anyone else talk to their GPS?
Mine kept telling me it was recalculating when I got off route for gas/food or lodging this past weekend in the car...yes, I had several words for it...it never responded, guess I showed it who is boss!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

KYSO said:
Thanks for the replys. I did more research and I'm liking this one http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=GRZUMO550I wonder if it'll answer me if I talk to it?
GPS says - "exit at exit 314".
I exit.
GPS says - "recalculating".
I say -"WHAT!!" "Why the hell did you tell me to get off?"
GPS says - "make a u-turn"
I make a u-turn
GPS says - "recalculating"
I say - WHAT? You @#$%&#!
I still wouldn'tdo a road tripwithout it.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

I have always used Garmin Nuvi's for both my car and my bike. They are not waterproof but I keep a couple "sandwich bags on my bike and they work perfectly to put over the top during a rain event.
Whatever one you choose I would recommend one with traffic alerts. They are fantastic when you are riding across multipple regions and you are trying to find the best way through a major metroplex on the fly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.