VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, so i am looking into GPS units and there seems to be just two, the zumo 660 and the garmin 2820. i have seem some posts and would love some feedback. is one better than the other. is one easier to install than the other. they appear to be around the same price but if i am going to make a purchase, i want the best bang for my buck.

thanks

darren

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I have the 2820. Works great and pug and play.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Greetings - I've got the 2820 as well, and cost a boatload less than the Zumo. I've had no problems and wouldn't mind either. Since they both say the same (mostly) I'm putting $$ into other wants and wishes:)) I do have to say, I listen to it much more than lQQking at it, and it might be nice to have it say which lane you are to be in, but so far, I've not had any problems. One thing about the 2820 is there is NO (repeat - NO) internal battery so despite what you may see elsewhere, you can't run it without being plugged in (either car or bike). I did the install myself and it was a snap. Biggest issue was drilling the holes for the mount and a 1/4" bit works well. DO follow the mounting holes and drill exactly perpendicular - no exceptions! wiring mounts just to the right of the console center bridge and when not in use, I keep it under the gas fill cover. I'm a firm believer of not leaving things in plain site that tempt others on a daily basis, but when a long trip is planned - back on the 2820 goes. LOVE it - won't travel without it -- especially for short weekend jonts that take me somewhere I would never figure out how to bet back, just hit "HOME" and you're on track! Go forth and explore the untravelled:)))
VVVet

·
Registered
87 Posts
VVVet said:
Greetings - I've got the 2820 as well, and cost a boatload less than the Zumo. I've had no problems and wouldn't mind either. Since they both say the same (mostly) I'm putting $$ into other wants and wishes:)) I do have to say, I listen to it much more than lQQking at it, and it might be nice to have it say which lane you are to be in, but so far, I've not had any problems. One thing about the 2820 is there is NO (repeat - NO) internal battery so despite what you may see elsewhere, you can't run it without being plugged in (either car or bike). I did the install myself and it was a snap. Biggest issue was drilling the holes for the mount and a 1/4" bit works well. DO follow the mounting holes and drill exactly perpendicular - no exceptions! wiring mounts just to the right of the console center bridge and when not in use, I keep it under the gas fill cover. I'm a firm believer of not leaving things in plain site that tempt others on a daily basis, but when a long trip is planned - back on the 2820 goes. LOVE it - won't travel without it -- especially for short weekend jonts that take me somewhere I would never figure out how to bet back, just hit "HOME" and you're on track! Go forth and explore the untravelled:)))
VVVet
I'm installing a GPS this week... on my own. How did you hook up the wires? I can't find the info on doing it.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
2820 for me, no issues at all and its seen some pretty heavy rainstorms. Never had a hitch. Works well through the stock radio and is plenty loud even at 80 mph.

·
Registered
382 Posts
the 2820 is VERY outdated and slow to find satelites compared to the Zumo... I have the 2820 and its one of the slowest gps's ive seen.. it works but its a NO thrills unit

·
Registered
126 Posts

Joan,
The connector is on the right side of the center bridge usually tied to the wiring harness. There is a rubber cap covering the connector so it may be difficult to spot since you looking for a connect, but I'm sure with enough looking and maybe a flashlight, you'll find it. As to comments about the differences between Zumo and 2820, I guess it is all about choice. If you are okay with a second or two lag for finding satelites or you just have to have the Zumo - go for it. Who am I to say not to?? Having seen what's inside these GPS units, I could have built it in high school with a soldering gun and a few parts from Radio Shack, so for me, if the 2820 serves me well, I'm good:) Either way, have a SAFE and GREAT ride!!!!!
VVVet
ps: if you still can't find the connector, let me know and I'll send you a photo:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,
I used m old Zumo 550 mounted on the 660 dealer mount as the bolt pattern is the same. I just had to use half inch spacers to raise it up off the console because the 550 is more square than rectangular like the 660. Used the MP3 plug from the left side and then had the dealer run a keyed power lead from the right side of the console. In the AUX radio position I have all the 550 features coming through the factory intercom /CB. The only draw back I can see is your will only hear the GPS when the radio is set in the AUX position. The sound quality is excellent through the factory headsets. If I had all the money I spent on bluetooth and after market wired systems on my other bike I could pay for this set up. The Zumo's are very glove friendly as I've used mine numerous times with my winter gloves.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Dave - that definitely works!
I do like to have tunes on board, and even with the 2820 I can download mp3s to it for short hauls. It does not have a removable SD card (or any other for that matter) and I'd get a bit bored. Does the Zumo have a replaceable card for running the MP3? In this way, you can have more abundant tunes:))depending on the size of the chip. Clubford is right - it's plenty loud at 80 (or higher.....) and CB/IC runs with any mode.
Cheers!
VVVet

·
Registered
15 Posts
VVet,
Yes the Zumo holds a standard size SD card, I use 1GB cards. When you load the music onto the card you have to hook the Zumo to your computer with the card in it and then load onto the card through it. It will only read MP3 files though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
VVVet said:
Joan,
The connector is on the right side of the center bridge usually tied to the wiring harness. There is a rubber cap covering the connector so it may be difficult to spot since you looking for a connect, but I'm sure with enough looking and maybe a flashlight, you'll find it. As to comments about the differences between Zumo and 2820, I guess it is all about choice. If you are okay with a second or two lag for finding satelites or you just have to have the Zumo - go for it. Who am I to say not to?? Having seen what's inside these GPS units, I could have built it in high school with a soldering gun and a few parts from Radio Shack, so for me, if the 2820 serves me well, I'm good:) Either way, have a SAFE and GREAT ride!!!!!
VVVet
ps: if you still can't find the connector, let me know and I'll send you a photo:)
Thanks for answering. I'll take a look. I have a TomTom 630 that I wanted to hook up but the mounting of it is pretty cumbersome. I bought Ram mount system but it has the GPS in line with the mirrors.... not a good thing. The weatherproof box is big! The system is great but the location isn't.

It looks like the only system that will go on the Vision is with the Garmin 660 or the 2820... that's really limiting! and expensive. Not sure I want to spend $1000 to get a gps on my bike. I never had one before but thought I'd use it for my trip to Wyoming.

Are you aware of any other mounts that may work?

thanks again

·
Registered
126 Posts

Greetings Joan,
I agree with you - in front of the mirrors pretty much is a wash. I have also seen RAM mounts put where the standard OEM mount goes and that might be a great alternative. The one I saw was a RAM base with the ball just about the screwed in base plate. Very cool and looked quite nice. I guess the good thing about that type is you can mount whatever you like there as long as it fits RAM. If I find a photo, I'll upload it (with help Andy!!). Good luck and enjoy Wyoming:))))) I love that state!!
VVVet

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a zumo 550. I made a mount with a ram ball that fastens below the left handle bar.I mounted it using the existing holes that hold the clutch lever on. I replaced the two6mm bolts with longer ones to hold the mount on. The ram ball is barely noticable when not in use since it is under the handlebar. The mount is very small and polished aluminum so it just looks like another piece of chrome. It works very well. I wil take some pictures and try to post them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Photos would be great... thanks all for helping hands. I purchased the cup holder bracket that replaces the brake/glutch bracket but allows two places for a ball mount. I'm going to try it tomorrow (after some sleep) It looks like it will work though. I tested the sound hookup and it works through the AUX control.... GREAT! So I'll be able to use my TomTom 630 with the existing system. I need to wire in the power but I do have the adapter for the outlet in the LH box where the Ipod connector is too.

I can't believe how expensive that little sucker was just for a bracket!!! Not even a nice looking piece... black against my chrome/aluminum! Not pretty! I'll be replacing it with something down the road. For now I have to take what I can get. I know someone who does fabulous stainless work... might get him to make me something. I know it won't cost as much as this black bracket!

anyway... appreciate the help very much and I'll let you know how I do tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.