Good helmets for guys with glasses like me | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Good helmets for guys with glasses like me

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by ZZedmonds, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ZZedmonds

ZZedmonds Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Cross Country Tour
    I wanted to post some feedback on two helmets I bought that are great if you have to wear corrective lenses like I do. I hate having to juggle regular glasses and sunglasses while riding. I bought two helmets made by HJC that have a shaded internal visor. The visor is lowered and retracted bya lever in a slot in the top of the helmet.
    I found them a great fit for myneeds.
    The first one is an open face style model IS-33
    http://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Open-Face-Helmets/HJC-Helmet-IS-33-BLACK/59682.html
    [​IMG]
    The second one is the full faced style model FS-10
    [​IMG]
    So far I have been very pleased with the comfort and versatilty. Please let me know your feedback if you have either of these.
    Now if someone made a half helmet with an integrated sun visor I will be all set!

2. FishWitch

FishWitch New Member

My first full face was an HJC. No frills.I finally ended up having to duct tape the visor up on it because the latch got goofed up when I replaced the shield. Duct taped it one day at a gas station it was driving me nuts.

The HJC helmets are good. I was happy with mine, but when I replaced it I wanted a flip up. Even my Schuberth has an issue that bugs me(can't ride with the shield up~safety feature) but I deal with it. Gotta save my pretty face! It's BugVille big time now.

Obviously you have found that your prescription glasses don't darken with your visor.

I have multiple pairs of glasses. UGG PITA believe me. But worth it. I have a clear pair of bifocals for night that do darken without the visor so are good for on off bike. Geeky looking but they work. I also have a dark pair I wear most often while riding daytime. They are polarized (big mistake) and worthless in the shadows. I also have a pair I call my streetwalking glasses for off my bike. And about 10 pairs from the dollar store for reading!

My Schuberth has the aviator flip down as well. It's too dark with my sunglasses, but works great when riding into the sun. I can partially flip it to the proper angle to lessen the glare.

Thing is in that situation, Joe Public in their car can't see at all! BEWARE of that.

3. Clubford00

Clubford00 Active Member

16 Victory Vision Tour Premium
    I just bought an HJC symax II flip up. It has a flip down built in inner visor and good venting. Retail is about 260 bucks and i found one new on ebay total with delivery was 160. Pretty good deal i thought. Im hoping to get a darker inner visor though. The stock one isnt very dark.

4. heiser252

heiser252 New Member

I have a Nolan N102 flip up face. It has a regular visor and a second dark visor for sun protection. So far it has been a great helmet. It also has the ability to add integrated headsets right into the helmet. I have a J&M set in mine now that I plug into theVision com/cb/stereo. It works great as well. It's also nice because Victory has a deal with Nolan so the helmet has Victory labels on it.
    I got my wife an HJC flip up face with the internalsun shade system. I tried to get her a Nolan as well, but she needed an extra small and Nolan only makes sizes down to small. My wife has been happywith this helmet. I put the Victory head set on this helmet for her. It's not as clean a look as the Nolan because you have the mount clipped to the side of the helmet, but it does the job.

5. davelau

davelau Active Member

09 Ness Vision

I cut reflective tape into strips and placed them in selected areas on my Nolan helmet. It's hard to place it in areas on the helmet and still make it look cool, but I ended up placing strips on the back of the helmet for added visibility at night.
    The good thing about it is that if I don't like it, I can just peel it off.

6. CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke New Member

I just bought a HJC IS-33 and really like the versatility of the "sun visor" and the regular shield. Very comfortable also.

7. rider_eu

rider_eu New Member

How's a half helmet different from an open face helmet?
    Google search also gives me what your first picture shows for 'half helmet': open face with visorscreen.
    On the others, the only difference seems: ears covered by the helmet or ears uncovered. In that case, half helmets are meant for people on scooters and on horses. For the only reason of having your ears uncovered I wouldn't bother looking for a half helmet, it's not worth it.
    Open face suits me fine, I couldn't have one without a screen anyway. My face would look like a cars headlight with all the flies in my teeth. But i'm going to switch to a full face or modular any day soon. I don't like the thought of grinding of my chin off if ever I were to fall on my face. Problem is, i've got a big head and not all fit nicely. Especially if I want to wear my glasses (one of the reasons i use contact lenses)
    edit: this could be a usefull tool for choosing a helmet:
    http://204.68.195.250/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/
    http://www.motorcycle-leather-gear.com/category/motorcycle/accessories/helmets/
    http://www.motorcycle-leather-gear....-know-about-motorcycle-half-helmets/#more-278

8. Clubford00

Clubford00 Active Member

It is my understanding that a Half helmet, is more like a bowl type that sits on top of the head and comes down about to the brow all the way around. An open face, or 3/4 helmet comes down over the ears and around the back as well. usually has a small visor and is worn with goggles. If im wrong i appologise and someone for sure will let you know. We gots good folk here !

9. rider_eu

rider_eu New Member

That should indeed be correct. Pretty obvious really: 1/2, 3/4, full. I could have thought of that myself.
    Half is like the 'german' helmets ;)

10. Clubford00

Clubford00 Active Member

Sort of, the German type helets are more like half 3/4 helmets LOL

11. ZZedmonds

ZZedmonds Active Member

2013 Cross Country Tour

You're a troublemaker Dean!

12. Andy

Andy Administrator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm far from an expert in helmets, but many riders use the half helmets (or skid lids) to satisfy the local helmet laws. Since I live in a helmet-optional State, I wear a helmet for protection, not to satisfy the legal requirements. I'm not a kid anymore and I know I don't bounce. To me, wearing a helmet that is comfortable while providing a high level of protection is an important factor.

I hope I never have to test the integrity of my helmet.

For those who have "gone down," I've never heard one of them state, "Boy, I was glad I was wearing a half helmet," or "I was glad I wasn't wearing a helmet."

In a VOG Poll I started just a few days ago, the question is: If you are riding in a helmet-optional State, do you wear a helmet? While only a few VOG Members have responded to that poll as of this moment, only 8% responded NO. To me, that speaks volumes about the attitude of the folks on this site.

Yes, I'm a rider safety advocate and I'm proud of it. Motorcycles are fun, but they should be respected. Diss me if you want or call me a wimp, but I want to be riding for many years to come.

13. rider_eu

rider_eu New Member

I don't see 1/2 helmets being sold in Europe, so my guess is that they're not even road legal for motorbikes.
    Most 'open' i see, is the 'jet helmet' (open face like in the first post)
    I agree, safety first. That's why I want a full face one, but I need to find one that really fits me well (>xl presumably)
    Hey, here's a full face helmet that looks like a 3/4 helmet ;)
    [​IMG]
    Great idea and pretty simple mod if you have an old helmet lying around :)
    btw, it's pacman

14. Andy

Andy Administrator

1957 Flxible Starliner Bus and a 2014 Marathon Prevost Motorcoach
    How about this one?

[​IMG]

15. ldare

ldare New Member

I have a different solution.
    Having wore glasses since I was 5..
    Been riding since I was 18...
    For years I played with glasses/contacts.....

At 49, I opted for the Lazix corrective eye surgery.. Best money I have ever spent.

No more dry eyes from contacts, or trying to wear glasses under the helmet, just throw on the helmet and go.....

I believe that over the last 4 years, I have saved on contact lens/ solutions/ glasses that I have more then paid for the surgery..

And it really does make for more fun riding.. I can see more (no frames to contend with), ride longer, (eyes dont dry out)....

Shiny side up....
    Larry