Goldwing vs CCT | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Goldwing vs CCT

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by the draggin, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Bikeless
    One of my dearest friends, now deceased, rode a 2006 Goldwing. He liked to ride the Kingpin so we traded bikes a lot. I rode many miles in many conditions on a Goldwing. He didn't mind me doing wheelies on it or hanging off it in corners... we were that kind of friends.

I say this ad nauseam, but the KP is a very sorted package. Most other brands of bike, after riding a KP for years, feel kinda cheap and cheesy. Not the Goldwing... it is a solid bike with a quality feel.

Comfort and general riding: I'm roughly 5'-9" on a good day, but I found the 'Wing all day comfortable. The rear suspension is adjustable from the drivers seat by pushbutton. The brakes are good, the chassis is solid, the handling is crisp... but it does run out of ground clearance a little early. The saving grace here is that those little wings on the seat will fold out of the way and you can slide your ass off the seat and put a knee down if ya want.

Performance: Out of the crate, the 'Wing will stomp the Victory touring bikes. 95/103 or thereabouts to the tire. However, you better be satisfied with that, because there really is NOTHING available to hop that bike up. It is sh!t-simple to modify a Vic tourer to outperform the Goldwing.

Other stuff: The 'Wing eats front tires up. Even with the expensive suspension upgrades, they cup and chop the crap out of the front tire. An electric windshield would be super nice... a 6-speed gearbox would be super nice.

If given the choice, it would be hard not to choose the 'Wing... the biggest thing for me is a preference for a big V-twin engine... but a Goldwing is a fine motorcycle.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    HEY, actually I had two. Didn't count the first one, 1981, with fairing etc...sold it 3 weeks later, to hot, didn't have the vents they do now and buddies didn't want to go on trips. The 1983 had nothing and I added the sissy bar. In 1983 WITH 1100 motor most thought cool bike. AND by the way, when I sold it, with 7900 miles on it, I got $2500....I paid $2995 OTD so not bad. Should I tell you I also owned a HONDA 65, delivered newspapers with it and saved $$ to buy a HONDA 305 Scrambler...at 14 years old! :angel4: (both bikes I had to keep at friends house, my Mom wouldn't let me have a motorcycle :rofl2:...first bike I owned that she knew of was a 650 "4 stroke" Yamaha, I got the fifth one that came into Michigan) Everyone thought it was a HONDA with Yamaha markings:surprised:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. FoFo

FoFo Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    That's exactly how I feel about the Boulevard and my CR's. There was nothing wrong (minus the gas tank) with the Boulevard, but I love everything about my CR. Just can't get enough of it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  4. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I feel the same. Keep my cost down and just give me a nice stereo. My phone can do everything else and is easier and cheaper to upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    I rode my 1998 GL1500SE for 186,000 km in 14 years. In 2010, my failed kill switch stranded me 30 miles north of the city. $400 later, it was running again. 11 months later, the splines on the drive shaft wore out and stripped stranding me 30 miles from a Honda dealer. $800 later, the bike was running again. In the back of my mind, I was always wondering, "what's going to fail next and strand me again?"

During the January 2012 motorcycle show, I just sat on a CCT and was sold on it! I thought the GL was comfortable. Absolutely fooling myself for 14 years. I'll never ride another Goldwing again. The bike is mechanically sound, but the comfort level is just plain terrible.

6. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Jim, I was just looking at your experience with the Wings you've owned. And now the issues with your CCT. Man, you are snakebit. Next time you get ready to buy a bike, give the money to your buddy or brother-in-law and let them go pick it out. Stay away from the dealer while the deals going down.

7. Luciferiad

Luciferiad Active Member

2011 Crimson Cross Roads
    lol nah, it was blue. I've seen so many blue Wings I occasionally don't recognize them as Wings if they're a different color.

8. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    The Wing is a great bike. Make no mistake, the design has been around and a flag ship for decades. The current 1800 is a beast. My trouble with it was,,,,,,it never fit. I had a back ache after a short time on it. I did learn to do well with it, but it was a constant effort.

The XCT was a delight to ride for me. Nimble and easy to handle. It took some getting used to in parking lot drills, the engines are so different in sound and power. Oh the Vic almost got me run over a few times before I got used to it. After about $700 in mufflers, air filter, fuel tuner and Lloydz timing wheel, it would go pretty well. A lot cooler and a lot more giddy up.

No knocking the Vic, it was a great bike and I did enjoy it about as much as any I ever threw a leg over. I loved the wing for what it was and the wife LOVED the Princess seat, it just wasn't made for me.

9. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    Well the Goldwing lasted me 14 years and the first major stranding was at about 180,000 km. My current benched bike has 63,000 km. Would appear to have been built on a Monday! But actually it was a Thursday. Dumb luck I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Justa_poser

Justa_poser Active Member

Owned more than 60 motorcycles.

We are on our second GL1800 Gold Wing and have roughly 150,000 miles on GL1800's.
    5'10" 200 lbs. with a 5'4" passenger.

The Wife is absolutely thrilled with Gold WIngs. Her best one day mileage on the back is 829 miles. The thing fits me for all day comfort, but if you're much taller than me, then it's gonna be cramped for you......

Someone said that they had short ground clearance. As compared to what?

Also, I take exception to the idea that they eat front tires. I run Bridgestone Excedra's and average 18,000 on a front.
    Like any big, fat touring bike - they will cup those tires if ya don't keep up with the tire pressure. For ours, we're at 42/44 FR. with a GOOD tire pressure gauge.

We're on our 4th Victory, but have not owned a bagger in that line. Sorry - no help there.

Oil change is easy. Air filter change requires removing the top shelter. Google GL1800 air filter change. Yikes !
    Single-sided rear swingarm. Lay it over for a tire change. Even old guys can do it. Front tire is relatively easy to change. The actual tires are a *itch to change. Stiff, HEAVY sidewalls. Work well if ya first heat them up.

There is a gazillion Gold Wing accessories out there.

GL1800: legendary reliability

Next opinion, please.

11. Half_Crazy

Half_Crazy Well-Known Member

Bikeless
    23.jpg

My late friend used the Bridgestone radials as well. He would replace them as a pair every time because when the rear was done the front was cupped bad enough to be felt when riding.

Here's Johnny!
    24.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  12. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    Yea, the Goldwing is famous for the less than optimal front end. I had my forks rebuilt every 16-18K miles. I loved me some Honda extended warranty, because they covered it every time.
    On paper the Wing has a degree or two more lean angle than the XCT, IIRC There are probably less than 1% of riders who use all that is available on either, and either is a nimble dancer for a fat girl.
    For me the XCT was a better rider over all. Not sure if it was, or was because it worked better for me.
    No way to go wrong with either one.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mark4Jesus

mark4Jesus Well-Known Member

2013 Can Am Spyder
    I had two GL1200's, so my opinion could be considered out-dated. I loved my Wings. They were light to the touch, plenty of power, easy to maneuver. When my wife and I started looking into getting a new bike we dropped by the local dealer. These are the things that got my attention and led to trading my Wing in and buying a CCT:
    1. Simplicity of maintenance. No radiator, no timing belts (No longer an issue on GL1800's), and not so much plastic to remove. I did the alternator
    mod when the stator died.
    2. Stock heated seat/grips.
    3. Big comfortable seat. My wife is more comfortable on the CCT.
    4. Tons of storage! This is why we did not consider the Vision.
    5. Love the styling of the CCT.

I had NEVER ridden a v-twin before I test rode the Vic, so it was very different. I had never ridden a bike with forward foot controls, very different, but very comfortable. I simply fell in love with the Victory when I test rode it. I test rode it three times, got better each time!

14. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    Thank you! I don't understand it, but what you said is exactly right for me, as well. Every time I ride my CCT, I like it more. So far, I have not found a plateau. After a while, other bikes became familiar and you had what you had. Not bad, necessarily, they just seem to run out of new things to offer. The CCT hasn't so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Justa_poser

Justa_poser Active Member

Everyone has a favorite.

Much of it is how the bike fits you. How well it performs wind management, buffeting, etc.

Some are "better" on paper, while others are just "fun to ride".

• Agree Agree x 1