VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a talk with my boss yesterday. He flew in from California and it was one of the more serious types of conversations. Long story short, if everything works out, there may be an opportunity for me to move up a rank at work. The current Associate Regional Manager is being promoted leaving a vacant spot in the region.
I'm in the running as a possible replacement. Nothing is for sure right now, but all indicators look good.
If chosen, my family and I will be relocated to So Cal. This will bring me closer to Victory dealerships and to realize my dream of someday owning a Vic. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but as you can imagine, I had a hard time getting to sleep last night.
In this economy, opportunities come few and far between. If they offer it, I'm pretty sure that there won't be many other offers to come my way for a long time. I'd be foolish to turn it down. At this point, I have a lot to be thankful for and I'll keep my focus on the task at hand. All the while, thoughts of Vics and Visions go bouncing around in my head. (Know any good realtors in So Cal?)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Plug into Pashnit.com. Lots of So Cal folks and rides there. I'm sure someone can help you out.

Also on the VMC there is an active group of Vicsters.

Some great riding there but wheehaw the traffic! It's a nother world.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Fish. If this works out, I can really explore and discover places I've only dreamed of. Coming from Hawaii, we're always battling bouts of island fever from time to time. (at least I do)
If I do get this opportunity, Hawaii is just a plane ride away so it's not too bad.
Pashnit and VMC sure sounds like the way to go. Only time will tell.
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and friendship.
Aloha!

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Dave, I see you work for Ecolab. I worked for them from 93-98 (Ecotemp, and then in Institutional sales). they are a great company. If you ever get up to their corporate headquarters in St. Paul let me know as I get up there quite a bit. As for real estate in SoCal, looks like a great time to be a buyer. If it were me and you didn't have a specific location that you absolutely need to live, then I would be lookingcloser San Diego as opposed to L.A.
Best of luck to you and I hope you get your promotion and that new Vision!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Howzit Phoenix. Yes, I usually visit St. Paul annually to help facilitate with our training academy there. Ecolab has treated me well over the years. I will be praying that things work out for my family and me.
Is Temecula a good area? I think that's south of LA but north of San Diego. If and when the day comes, I hope to find a nice place to live. I guess it is a buyer's market right now. Thanks for the kind words and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife and I and some friends took a trip to San Diego last month and spent a day up in Temecula. It was beautiful out there. We spent most of our time visiting winerys so I did not get to spend any time in town but the roads and views were amazing!

Good wine too!

·
Registered
457 Posts

Funny, we always think of hawaii and bermuda and other Islands as tropical pieces of paradise, and the only thing you want is to get out of there :)
Do all 'islanders' feel the same about this? I never gave it much thought, but now that you mention it... Indeed, there might be a feeling of isolation, especially on islands so far out in the ocean. It's not like islands in the mediterranean sea where you could row back to shore if you wanted....
Good luck
And indeed, I guess that at some point, you've seen all there is to see on your island.
I've looked on google maps, and it looks indeed really tiny. Biggest island 100kmx100km? Not all of it driveable of course, so pretty claustrophic. How is Hawaii? Pretty busy or mostly a resort for wealthy people?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Personally speaking, career wise, I've done everything I could do here for my district. There is no award I haven't already won or an achievement I have not met. I could simply stay here at the top spot and go nowhere, or roll up my sleeves and take on new challenges. I've been grooming my replacements for a couple of years now, and it'sthiertime too. They've worked so hard andthey're ready to take over the district. I definitely feel that I'm leaving it in better shape then when I inherited it. (That's if I'll be leaving)
Being on an island isolated from the mainland does have it's downside. Yes it's paradise, but if you want to go far or expand a career, you'll have to be willing to leave the rock. I think this is a calculated risk. I honestly will keep weighing the pros and cons if offered a regional position, but the timing couldn't be better.
It's exciting for me as an island boy growing up in Hawaii to be able to have this chance of a lifetime. It puts me closer to so many things. Vics are just the beginning.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Abrada Dave when you get the job don't forget to leave me your new address so when I come visit we can ride up north next yearto sturgis... or just about any where we want....good luck ...I think you da man for the job....Ye haaaa...
aloha

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well, it's been a long time waiting, but the moment is finally here. Whatever happens from here is out of my hands and is God's will. Submitted my resume for the position at work and will wait for word if I'm selected. Meantime I have to find something to do to make myself useful because I'm a complete basket case right now!! :) (riding has never been more therapeutic! I love V-Twins!!)
I can't say I'd be miserable if not selected.....I work, live and play in Hawaii!! lol
I would love to do all of that in Socal!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Good luck, we are all pulling for you.

When I've been in situations like the one you are in, I have dealt with it by assuming that I was not going to get the promotion. I start thinking about the positive things about not getting it or thinking what I will do when I don't get it. Then if it happens, it is a nice surprise. If it doesn't, you have already begun dealing with that situation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to agree with your thinking. I am a peace with it. I find solace in the fact that I have a lot to be thankful for with my wife and family. Hawaii is my home and this is where a lot of people would love to be. They just need to build a freeway linking the west coast to Hawaii. :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Wow!! I think you deserve 4 stars for that post alone! Your insight and knowledge is greatly appreciated. This is great information I would never have thought I'd get from a Motorcycle web site. True to form, people helping people. The next time someone gives you that crazy look like, "why would you want to ride that thing?!"....just give'm a smile, wave and think....they wouldn't understand it even if you explained it to them.
Thanks Shawn. If this deal does go through, the beer is on me!! lol I'll only be about 3 or 4 thousand miles away. Road trip!!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
davelau said:
WThis is great information I would never have thought I'd get from a Motorcycle web site.
Congrats Dave on your new opportunity. We're rooting for you and hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

As you know, we strive to be more than just a Motorcycle Website. We're just a community of folks who enjoy riding and other things as well...technology, computers, traveling and...
if we have a pest control problem, we know who to call!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well....I made it through the first round of interviews and I've been asked to get on a plane and head to the corporate headquarters in St. Paul for a few more days of interviews and brain picking. Yep....I'm flying to Minnesota....the hartland of Victory bikes!! If I can, I'll see if I can find my way to the factory. Wow, what an experience that would be!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Howzit Dave, Hope you get your Promotion!!!, when ya move to mainland, you going get one adventure, New food,NewFolks, New Crib, and OCEANS of roads to ride on , No more Island Fever, Eh pack plenty Sashimi for snak!!! lol Ahuiho!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you're going to Minnesota this time of year take your muffler, and I don't mean the one for your bike.

Good Luck with the interview.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

Dave,
When are you going? I was just up there last week, and I am up there quite frequently. I'm guessing when you are in town it will be a wirlwind event, but if I'm in town when you are I would like to buy you a dinner and meet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.