GET BACK WHIP quesitions | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

GET BACK WHIP quesitions

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by icemann, May 6, 2015.

1. icemann

icemann Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    08 vision, 01 hayabusa
    For the riders that have a "GET BACK WHIP" hanging from their victory's. Particularly the vision.

What length are you riding with?
    Is it causing any paint damage?
    Do you have any thing on the other end, monkey fist, weight etc?

ANY PHOTOS on your bike.

I am trying to determine what a good length is for the vision, and what are some of the options and or problems folks have experienced.

I read already where the clasp does not stay on well unless you add tubing, or an "O" ring on the brake lever to keep it from sliding over the ball end on the lever.

ANYTHING ELSE? post your pic.
    thanks

ICE baby-blue-black.jpg il_570xN_685796262_6s6a.jpg il_570xN_574337538_gb83.jpg

2. nakota7

nakota7 Active Member

Cross Country
    Seriously??
    Dumbest thing ever on a motorcycle.
    A friend gave me one and I threw it in the trash. Swing it at a car one time and I have no sympathy if they run us over. You will never win a battle with a cage.

BTW... He went to make a turn with his and it got caught on the brake pedal and he dropped his f'ing bike. Just a waste of freaking time/money.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    I understand the whole get back whip thing and have one with our M/M colors. I removed it for a few reasons. If yours is long enough to touch the floorboards, it's too long. If there is ANY chance it can get positioned under your foot, it's too long and potentially very dangerous. One of my brothers went down when his whip got caught under his foot while he was turning and braking. He now has two plates in his leg and is an excellent weather barometer. Many of the ones you can get are also very thin and light. They tend to wrap themselves around your qrm while riding due to air flow over a CCT. Not sure about the Vision. I had mine double wrapped in an effort to prevent the arm wrap thing. It didn't work as well as I hoped it would. Plus on the CCT, the ends of the brake/clutch levers is very small. The whip would simply fall right off. You'd have to tie wrap onto the lever to keep it on the bike. From tip to tip, my whip is 36" long. It hangs on a nail in the garage, not from my CCT bars.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. bautieri

bautieri Active Member

Victory High Ball
    I came to say something similar to this ^^^

What do you intend to use this whip for? Is it for it's designated purpose, or just for looks? It's your bike, who am I to judge? I don't have one, but for your sizing question I would suggest the following:

Measure the distance from where you intend to hang this whip and anything it could get caught on (shift lever, openings in the fairing, rotor, wheel, brake lines, etc) and subtract a few inches. Repeat this measurement with the wheel cocked all the way to the right, then again all the way to the left. This measurement may prove to be pretty short, but it beats wrecking your bike because your whip got snagged.

5. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I don't like them but Ithink you guys are missing the point. Their "use" is to flap in the breeze, not a weapon. I thought they were stupid until I was following a guy on the freeway with them. The flapping thingys seemed to get the cagers attention and I watched as cars that did pass him appeared to move over in their lane to give that flappy thing a little more seperation between the end of it and their car.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. Zivs

Zivs Active Member

'14 Ness Cross Country #033
    I've wanted one simply for looks. I think black with red braided whip would compliment the XC Ness nicely.

7. nakota7

nakota7 Active Member

Cross Country
    I've never seen this in all the times I rode with my friend. Interesting obervation.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Allstate

Allstate Active Member

2013 XC
    No opinion on them one way or the other. Do be advised that Black/Red are club colors associated with a predominant MC mainly West Coast. Black/White are club colors associated with a predominant MC mainly Midwest and East Coast. I do not as all intent this to become a rant on whether MCs are a bad or god thing (hopefully that can be avoided as that discussion has been had extensively in another lengthy post). Just providing information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Zivs

Zivs Active Member

'14 Ness Cross Country #033
    Which colors are black and red for? I happen to be in San Diego of course....

10. El_Spanky

El_Spanky Active Member

'17 Indian Roadmaster
    25" I have 1 on my clutch side. NO issues.. BUT you need to add a leather strap on it so it will stay on your lever. Going down the road 60+ I put the handle on my lap. Some people like them... Some dont... It is a look and we all dont like the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SDVictory

SDVictory Member

2014 Cross Roads 8 Ball
    I just saw one for the first time a few days ago. My son asked me what it was and I had no idea lol

12. jwfuchs1

jwfuchs1 Well-Known Member

Cross Country
    I'm not sure what club he is talking about, but as long as it's obvious that it matches the bike and you are not trying to act tough then no problems should come of it. I would be more worried about if they are still considered illegal in California (would be nice to know since I'm riding out that way in June). I have one on my bike that is black, red, white, and maroon. No other meaning besides black and red for my bike color then maroon and white were the colors of the university I went to. As far as keeping the whip on the lever I added a small u-bolt to the swivel arm and gives it enough meat for it not to slide off and still able to operate the quick release easily. The length of mine is 38" but i have 16" apes on my cross country

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Allstate

Allstate Active Member

2013 XC
    Black/Red = 81

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. spamaster

spamaster Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT Black
    Just say no to pigtails on bikes.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    Where did you find that information? Bikers have used items with other intended purposes as weapons forever. It's easy to go to jail for carrying a weapon. Carrying a length of chain, bandanna with a padlock, get back whip, etc. are much harder to go to jail for unless evidence exists it was made and used as a club or other weapon.

I have had several interactions with large MC groups. They have all been polite but also loaded with these types of "tools." It is also common to find a gun or two in a trash can or a ditch.

• Agree Agree x 1