VOG Forum banner

gear indicator

5246 17
just started experiencing problems with 5th gear on the gear indicator. it goes from 4th to 6th. the gear is in 5th but it shows up as 6th and when I go to 6th it just stays in 6th. when I downshift from 6th to fth it shows up as 4th? any one else?? approx 2.500 miles
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
9,000 Posts

I read about the "missing 5th gear" in Rider Magazine and the writer stated that he was told it was an isolated incident and that no one else has reported that problem. You're the only other person I've heard reporting this issue.
Is anyone else experiencing the missing 5th gear on the display?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a response from another rider on the vision rider site and he had the same problem. He said victory is aware of it and it is a bolt to the sensor that needed to be replaced and he hasn't had the problem since

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I heard back from the dealer and he echoed exactly what another driver had said in that it is a bolt to the sensor. It has been order and I will let you all know how it goes. Glad I got the extended warranty

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, I finally got my bike in after a long winter and had the dealer replace the switch and Problem solved. Not only does it now go through the gears with no problem but it has eliminated the lag time between the display of the gears.

· Registered
2,051 Posts
don't have all the info, but you need to pull the left side pipe to remove the cover to get to the switch.

Dealer did my bolt and switch, still have the same problem, the fix only lasted a week or so.
I found wiggling the wiring harness corrects the problem for a day or two before returning, leading me to believe it's a grounding issue

· Registered
1,729 Posts
When I start my 8 ball (vision) As soon as she is firing on her own at that split second my display quickly goes from 2nd to 1st then neutral..my bike is always in neutral when I shut down,but otherwise everything is normal..Just another Vic thing to love

· Registered
455 Posts
If I have it right and your not under warranty you lean the bike over on the tip point and pull the primary and the gear indicator is in side. Change the bolt while there.
Or just wait till your next oil change. Buy a new gasket and the gear indicator before pulling the bike apart.

· Registered
126 Posts

So from what I understand, the problem actually is on the "right" side and has to do with a dirty detent where the indicator sits, which prevents a good competion of the circuit. The quick fix on the left side doesn't work and (from what I've been told) the switch isn't the problem either. I'm getting mine done soon so I'll report back on it later:)) I'm having the water taken out of my headlight assembly and HID bulb replaced due to water infux.......
VVVet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.