VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can the gear indicator be adjusted its never accurate sometimes ill be in third it will say second etc but never accurate not used to being spoiled with a indicator but would like it to be accurate

·
Registered
474 Posts
Maybe the sensor is dirty. My understanding is that Victory uses a sensor to measure output sprocket speed, which sends that info to the ECU. The ECU uses the engine RPM info to determine what gear the bike is in. I can slighly slip the clutch and make the indicator change the gear readout. So maybe your sensor isn't reading the sprocket accurately.

Are you sure that your clutch is not slipping?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the sensor is dirty. My understanding is that Victory uses a sensor to measure output sprocket speed, which sends that info to the ECU. The ECU uses the engine RPM info to determine what gear the bike is in. I can slighly slip the clutch and make the indicator change the gear readout. So maybe your sensor isn't reading the sprocket accurately.

Yeah no clutch slippage that I can tell where is the sensor at that reads this

·
Super Moderator
26,150 Posts
You may be lugging the motor. Keep it between 2.5-3.5K rpms for gentle cruising and see if it's more accurate.

I've seen many riders new to Victory say this and I think it's because they're babying the motor like it's a Harley. Vics like revs.

4.5-5K rpm shifts for having fun.

Rev it up!

*I can make mine tell me a wrong gear. It's not hard to do. Keep it revved and I bet it will be better.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think the sensor is located under the front engine belt/sprocket cover, but I'm not sure. Start by looking at the service manual. I don't find low rpm to cause false readings on my bike.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
You may be lugging the motor. Keep it between 2.5-3.5K rpms for gentle cruising and see if it's more accurate.

I've seen many riders new to Victory say this and I think it's because they're babying the motor like it's a Harley. Vics like revs.

Rev it up!

*I can make mine tell me a wrong gear. It's not hard to do. Keep it revved and I bet it will be better.
Serious ??? Never heard of this, GOOD POINT if true .....

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I sometimes see a 5-6 error but it is when I decided not to down shift to 4 yet when slowing to go through a town.

Reactions: Grits

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

I sometimes see a 5-6 error but it is when I decided not to down shift to 4 yet when slowing to go through a town.
The older Visions ('til '10) used the positive switching method, i.e. there's a sensor (switch) which senses where yer shifting linkage's positioned. The new models (+'10) use the RPM's vs speed through the ECU to determine which gear yer in. If, like VVB said...

Rev it up!

Ya lug or over-rev yer engine you'll get inaccurate gear positions displayed.

When my clutch went out the first thing I noticed was: as I rev'd the engine (to go faster--in 6th gear) the gear indicator dropped numbers, as I tried again--not only did I drop displayed gears but the Tach went higher without the speedometer following. The second indicator's a sure old school sign yer clutch's slipping. But, the first sign (gears moving) was what caught my eye.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I get a kick out of how it doesn't indicate the gear (besides N) unless your clutch is engaged. Would think it could be done easier and more informational than that. I haven't done it, but I would bet that some have thought they were in 1st gear at a light, when they weren't.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree it could be a better system, but it does work and you have to understand how it works to get the full benefit. The good thing is that Neutral does show no matter clutch lever position. It's logical for the clutch safety switch to interrupt the display since the rider could be up-shifting or down-shifting during that time and thus output vs rpm is meaningless when the clutch is disengaged.

·
Super Moderator
26,150 Posts
I get a kick out of how it doesn't indicate the gear (besides N) unless your clutch is engaged. Would think it could be done easier and more informational than that. I haven't done it, but I would bet that some have thought they were in 1st gear at a light, when they weren't.
What's weird is the older ones like my 08 show you the gear at all times.

I would still rather a compass be there.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
The only way the computer knows your clutch is engage or not is that piece of spring metal that activates the switch on the handle bar.

That piece of metal broke on my so no more gear indication unless I manually push the switch (a big pain). This little device is also a safety feature as it will not let you start your bike in gear unless your clutch is disengaged. It was not a fun learning experience the bike nearly came off it's kickstand.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Agreed, but it seems to be a cost saving matter. As DAVEofSAC noted, without a separate sensor, the gear indicator uses the fact rpm / speed is constant (and different) at each gear position inferred from crank and speed sensor readings. It's easy enough for an ECU to remember the last estimated gear position before a bike comes to a halt. But since a rider can switch gears during standstill that can't be tracked, outside of showing two dashes there's not much that can be done. Neutral seems to be a special case.

·
Registered
865 Posts
[QUOTE="It's easy enough for an ECU to remember the last estimated gear position before a bike comes to a halt. But since a rider can switch gears during standstill that can't be tracked, outside of showing two dashes there's not much that can be done. Neutral seems to be a special case.[/QUOTE]
True, but if it knows without indicating, then why not indicate. I would think it would be pretty easy to indicate to the ECU the gear. If it is being indicated to the ECU (which I think it is), then why not display.
I'm not worried about it. First bike I ever had that had gear indicator and I have had many. It's just a DOH conversation.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
They changed to math from fixed switch because of the problems they had getting the switch to work right. Sounds crazy, but here is the solution. Replace the bolt that holds the shift star to the shift drum with a non coated bolt from a 2009. The problem is caused by improper grounding of sprung ball on the other end of the drum

·
Registered
865 Posts
They changed to math form fixed switch because of the problems they had getting the switch to work right. Sounds crazy, but here is the solution. Replace the bolt that holds the shift star to the shift drum with a non coated bolt from a 2009. The problem is caused by improper grounding of sprung ball on the other end of the drum
You're right, that does sound crazy. LOL. Specially since the shift star is on the complete opposite side as the sensor. So what you're saying is that the sensor isn't getting a ground?
Hey @kevinx , did you get my last email??

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
You're right, that does sound crazy. LOL. Specially since the shift star is on the complete opposite side as the sensor. So what you're saying is that the sensor isn't getting a ground?
Hey @kevinx , did you get my last email??
That is what I am saying. Not sure on the email, but if I didn't reply I'm guessing not

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.