Gas mileage | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Gas mileage

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by T0ng5, Oct 15, 2021.

1. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    On the steel frames that I've had, all were '06 '07, 2 Hammers and a KP all got around 35 to 37, The KP was a stage one, the '06 S&S air box 2 into 2 RPW's
    PC5 dynoed, the '07 was cammed, bigger intake valves VFClll RPW 2into 1. The current bike 2012 CR gets 42 and change.Riding habits the same on all of them.
    Shift at 3k and up, cruise at 3k.on all of them.
    No idea of why the earlier lighter bikes did worse than the CR.
    Going across north Texas and Oklahoma on the CR I was bucking a head wind of 20+ mph and the mpg dropped to 37 that day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. T0ng5

T0ng5 Active Member

2012 Crossroads, Mrs. rides a 2006 Vegas premium
    So even almost all highways for an entire tank I made 34 mpg. And I reconfirmed just now, 3,050 rpm @ 75mph. This is really going to bother me

3. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    That’s certainly on the low side for a mpg reading. The quality of the gas matters as well. When I use 87 octane with 10% ethanol I get worse mileage than when I use 93 octane and no ethanol.

I know you can buy a lot of gas for the cost of a Maximus tune but I’d consider that route if I were you. Back in 2013 when I added cams and a dyno tune, my mpg went up by 3-4.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Someone mention crapanol? That trash (although higher octane) producing 10% less mileage and destroys more fuel systems than anything before. I rarely use, unless on the road trip somewhere and I know I be burning out before a refill with non-crapanol.

Especially if she is going to be sitting for a bit... Lord I hate that crap, but have to use in the newer blown engines for the octane... All the others non-ethanol, especially anything prior to 2006.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. T0ng5

T0ng5 Active Member

2012 Crossroads, Mrs. rides a 2006 Vegas premium
    I run only premium, I do run a half of can of seafoam every couple hundred miles or so. Unfortunately they don't have 91 octane without ethanol here in Wichita ks

6. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Yeah, I understand as all I have is 89 here, but the Scooter seems okay with it. But I am not really running her hard as I would have to up the octane for that... It sounds like you run harder than I and the chance of detonation is higher with you. You know I see 80 mph at 3K, yours is a 6 speed isn't it?

7. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    BEST way to check for running rich...have someone follow you for the day, this pic at the start, 2nd one about half day riding:biggrin:...after check COLOR of his BEARD, and the WHITE wash cloth he used to clean :dance: (I've helped out many fellow riders:icon_thumleft:...NO CHARGE)

B5.jpg

c22.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. lesterlw

lesterlw Active Member

2013XCT
    TOng5 I get 39 to 40MPG all the time on my 2013 XCT that was tuned by KevinX with PC stock cams and stock mufflers.I would say my bike is running about as good as it can and I test it most times when I ride by running 1st gear through 4th gear at 4000 RPM for a while to check how smooth it is running.It should be very comfortable to ride like this with almost no vibration.Do this only after bike is well warmed up.I ride on curvy country highways in 4th a lot because it is so smooth.It runs noticeably smoother with Top Tier premium.You probaly have made sure your battery connections are real tight because it will vibrate at higher RPMS if not real tight.Mine runs very smooth at 4500 RPMS.Rotella T6 by the way every 5000 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jddirtbiker

jddirtbiker Member

2002 v92 touring classic deluxe
    Your post got me curious, so I rode 125-130 miles (sticking close to 55mph) and was spot-on 40-mpg on a stock '02 Touring Cruiser Deluxe. 55mph ~ 2450rpm. The tank was full of premium, non-ethanol when I started, since I filled 'er up with non-ethanol in case the season was over here in MN. Typically I'm running 'regular' with 10% corn.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  10. primethious

primethious Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads
    When mine was stock it was 39-40 with triovals.
    I remember reading on here that cross bikes shouldn't be getting over 42 otherwise they are just too lean.
    I typically run be tween 30-35 now.
    With cams, tune, car tire, heavy front tire, tall windscreen, oversized winglets, and rolling 85 i've learned to live with it, but I still dream of 40.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory xct & 06 katana
    We seem to average around 40mpg’s + - 3 whether fully loaded ( and I mean FULLY loaded, see our travel pics ) or just cruising around site seeing. Non ethanol adds 2-3 mpg’s but isn’t readily available here, I usually run 87 ( Rylan @ TVS instructions ) but if is above 87* F or loaded down 93 octane

• Like Like x 1
  12. Smokier104

Smokier104 Active Member

'14 Cross County Tour
    Greetings,

The XCT gets 45~46 MPG (INDICATED AVG) most of the time. 91 Octane, non-ethanol. I reset the trip/avg every fill-up. I say indicated, because the math reports less. Before Noe and the MAXIMUS tune, that bike was getting 42.6 indicated like clock work. I try to stay in the 2700~2900 range in 5th or 6th (61~64/70~72 mph) while riding. Also, I am rural, it's 18 miles of highway or secondaries to the nearest "city". Meaning, I get to cursing speed within 3/10ths of a mile from my house.
    Momma's XR was hovering just over 40MPG when we were checking it...

Ride safe,
    Smokier

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. PJRo

PJRo Well-Known Member

2013 Victory Hammer 8-Ball
    I average about 30 - 32 mpg.

Not stock.

Peter

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. 1 MEAN66

1 MEAN66 Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country 8 Ball
    Go to a parts store an get a bottle of Octane Boost, treat the gas ( use their directions) , see what happens. Mine is a 2014 Cross Country 8 Ball, Tri-oval exh. kit (2819325-266) My worst fuel mileage is stop and go, traffic, traffic lights. etc. That is 42.4 MPG, I have hit 49+ at interstate speed ( 65-75).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2012 Crossroads LE, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Consider myself lucky as well. Here in AZ I have my choice of one stop sign or one traffic light and I'm on 2 lane blacktop out in the desert or the interstate.

• Like Like x 1