VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I already started a thread on this but I can't find it. Must be my mind slipping.

Anyway, has anyone added a garage door opener to their Vision? I modded mine to mount on my last bike by soldering a couple wires to terminals in the remote and ending them in a momentary on pushbutton switch. I drilled a hole in the fairing (Nomad with a Harley fairing) for the switch. It was pretty stealthy and didn't cost but a few bucks. I'd rather not drill any more holes than I absolutely have to in my new bike and I'm not planning to buy a Flash2Pass unit or the like. All I could think of (granted I've only had the bike 18 hours) was to do the same thing but mount the pushbutton switch in the leading edge of the trunk (just under a speaker). With a black button, it wouldn't really show and I don't haul any passengers so they wouldn't get in the way. I could just reach back and hit the switch. I happen to like stealth mods. It's kinda cool to have a hidden feature. Probably too many sci fi shows as a kid or something.

If anybody has any other suggestions, please chime in. I find that having to stop, turn the bars all the way to the side, then pop the cubby hole open, etc is going to be tiresome after a while especially if I come home during a rain storm.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

But there's still the hassle of "neutral, turn the bars, open the box, hit the opener, close the box, back in gear, ride into the garage". Harley riders with the CB setup (but that don't use the CB) hook up a garage door opener to their PTT button. I don't have a CB/intercom on this (and don't really plan on buying one) so that won't work. I'm trying to get away from using the glove box if possible. It looks like a great place for a water or cell phone or maybe my glasses case.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Iinstalled a allweather push button switch behind the left cheese badge, run a wire under the tank and the seat, welded the wire inside the remote, where the push button is. I did putthe remoteinto the right saddlebag. It work great!

I can push the button while I'm in second gear, at around 50 feets, and hop in the garage withoutany stopping.

Fitz.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

I just purchased one of the Key Ring openers and velcro it to the bottom of the right hand side. I have had this on 4 bikes and many, many miles in all kind of weather. Does not fall off and it is not seen. Very inexpensive.

Reactions: PC2008Vision

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

I saw a video of a British guy who had a great garage door opener. He BEEPS his horn 2 times and a nice looking thin girl pops out of the house andf opens the door. He BEEPS it again and she closes it. He said something like "There you have it. Simple and can be transferred to other bikes...." or something like that. It would certainly work on a Vision.
Typical dry British humor. Someone can find the video?
YMMV

·
Registered
107 Posts

natemo said:
Why not wire it to the extra switch location on the radio panel?
+1

Something like this:
http://www.futurlec.com/SwRocker.shtml#RSPST10MOMENT

Might fit right in there. Or you can find something that will. The passenger PTT switch that is used for the CB/Intercom might work. If you pop off the panel and see if you can find a manufacturer you might be able to source one that looks just like the others.

Some have drilled a hole in the blank panel there and put a circular connector.

One guy said he used the cancel button of the turn signal on hisscoot (I think it was a beemer RS1150)to tie into a relay to activate his garage door opener. Slick idea. I looked at the Vic Service Manual though and didn't see that switch called out, nor any wiring. That is interesting.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Add some Velcro under your dash and install it there...it's cheap and stays out of the weather. If I know I am going to be riding for a long period of time in the rain, I will take it off and put it in my dash bag or glove box compartment.

If you come to Bair's Saturday, I will show you the set up. It works great and I know of many others that have done the same.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

foambuilder said:
I saw a video of a British guy who had a great garage door opener. He BEEPS his horn 2 times and a nice looking thin girl pops out of the house andf opens the door. He BEEPS it again and she closes it. He said something like "There you have it. Simple and can be transferred to other bikes...." or something like that. It would certainly work on a Vision.
Typical dry British humor. Someone can find the video?
YMMV
In my post above (Search)

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

OneThumb said:
Search Garage Door Opener.
I saw that thread. I guess I didn't look down far enough to realize there was more than a joke there. My bad.
They have one on eBay that's cosmetically defective ("Autoswitch, for any motorcycle latest model but factory seconds due to cosmetic issues. Potting compound has blemished the housing a bit."). Really? I think I can live with that since it'll be tucked away and nobody will see it. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks but that requires you use the F2P wall switch. My wall switch incorporates other buttons to do things like turn on the lights without opening the door, etc.

·
Registered
500 Posts

I am going ot Velcro a small Clicker opener to the inside of my XC fairing near the bottom wher eI cna reach it from the outside. Solder some wires and a button. Put the button on one of the accesory switch blanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts

I just checked that site out, and it looks like a good product, I might have to get one, thanks for listing it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts