Full Face Helmets | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Full Face Helmets

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Brad Foxwell, Mar 15, 2015.

1. mrmegadeth

mrmegadeth Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2018 BMW K1600B
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. twoweathersbys

twoweathersbys Active Member

2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
    Can't stress enough how important it is to go to a shop or two and try on different name brands and models of helmets. Don't buy a new brand/model strictly on price/look/reviews on the internet.

Having said that, Shoei Qwest is what I currently have, after coming from HJC-CL15. HJC fit, and was both DOT and Snell, but the Shoei is so much lighter and quiet. Con on the Qwest is fogging, so I also have the Shoei Pinlock visor, but 90% of the time, I don't even put the visor down. Comfort is a big deal when you are wearing it for hours on end so don't think a great deal is the end-all be-all of helmet purchases. Also beware deals on helmets. Some will have manufacture dates already 3 years old and helmets over 5 years old should be replaced, according to manufacturers. Now, I have kept some longer, but the reasoning makes sense. In 5 year spans, how many improvements have been made to helmets (weight/comfort/safety/usability) and also certain components of the helmets start breaking down and may not provide the protection they are designed to after a certain number of years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dsh89

dsh89 Active Member

Victory Cross Country 8 Ball
    The Neotech has more room for speakers if you are using bluetooth. The RHPA MAX is pretty quiet and I have no complaints. But if I was to do it again I would get the Neotech.

4. FFarl

FFarl Active Member

2012 Triumph Bonneville
    I've got an icon that I got on clearance for $100, and it fits much better than a drastically more expensive helmet I've got, so that's what I wear. Trying them on is key. If it's not comfortable, you'll go without it, and it doesn't do you any good in the garage.

When I was younger, I couldn't imagine riding with one. Now I can't imagine riding without it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hchays

Hchays Active Member

2014 Victory Cross Country Suede Titanium
    This may be a stupid question, but I've heard the term "hotspot" when referring to a helmet not fitting. I could assume what that means, but can someone that has experienced this define "hotspot"?

6. Mike 4

Mike 4 Member

2013 Victory Cross Road Classic
    I tested many modular and full face helmets. Even best and most expensive modular helmets felt clumsy to me. I ended up with full face Shoei GT-Air and I couldn't be happier. It is a solid choice. The helmet fit, light weight, venting, visor solidness, anti fog lens and most importantly drop down sun visor are amazing. No more headache from sunglasses pressure points.
    Highly recommending. I picked up mine for $450. (you are definitely getting what you pay for)

7. Jatwell

Jatwell Member

Vegas 8 Ball
    I love the modular helmets, but to each his own. I just like the extra rain, bug and rock protection when I'm on a long ride, usually once I get to the destination or if I'm just hopping around I spring for the half helmet. Full face or modular are really nice in the rain. Rain sucks!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. bronze

bronze Member

2012 Highball
    Over time (sometimes you won't notice it if only trying something on for a minute or two) it's that buggy little pressure point that drives you nuts with pretty much anything that is supposed to fit snug but doesn't quite fit properly.

Have you ever gone skiing or snowboarding w boots that don't properly fit?
    Bingo, that's the feeling!

If you find a helmet (or ski/sb boots) that you like, keep it on in the shop for a while, at least 30 mins or so. A good shop will let you do this, a great shop will encourage this! You feel funny and look like a space cadet but you will feel much better and more comfortable w your purchase!

...Side note for the mods, we cover all bases here @The Vog, ever think about starting a Winter sports thread? Lol :biggrin:

9. Bujee1

Bujee1 Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country, and 2016 Cross Country Tour
    Reveille has a nice video that speaks of what a touring helmet is and highlights a few brands that could be useful for long rides in the more upright cruiser position.
    Touring Helmets - RevZilla

10. mrmegadeth

mrmegadeth Active Member

2018 BMW K1600B
    Forgot to mention, Revzilla (one of my fav. online stores) allows free returns on unridden helmets. That way you can make sure the dang thing fits.

11. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    Bronze hit it well. It is a pressure point that can cause anything from an irritation to mind numbing pain. Wearing a helmet around the shop for 45 minutes or so sounds ludicrous to some but it will let you know if there are any uncomfortable places. No it won't stretch, get better, or "Break In". The liner will loosen a tad over time, and some call it break in, but it was comfortable from the get go if it still is after this event.
    A true fitting from a person that knows how is the only way to go. If you have the first doubt, no matter the reputation of the business, then don't get it and try again. Well worth the effort, time and mileage spent and usually only needs to be done once. If you ever get a good fitting lid that is all day comfortable, you'll know one that is right as soon as you slip it on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hchays

Hchays Active Member

Thanks guys, That's what I assumed the definition was. I just got my Neotec and it fits good in the cheeks and around my head, but it almost seems a little loose around the very top of my head. I can't figure out if it's a little loose or if the feeling is the super soft liner that I'm not use to.

13. Lostintexas

Lostintexas Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour (RIP)
    Take out the cheek pads and put on the helmet, you'll know pretty quick. Shoie makes a great lid, wish they make one to fit my head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hchays

Hchays Active Member

That worked. I took the cheek pads out and it fits front to back, but from side to side it's about 1/2" to wide. That's what I thought was wrong. I guess the Neotec goes back and I have to start all over on my helmet shopping.

15. Brad Foxwell

Brad Foxwell Member

2007 Victory Jackpot
    Its quite the daunting process if you have never done it before. I live on a street that is directly accross from a decent sized local outdoor motorsports shop. Big inventory of Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, Can Am. They had decent selection of helmets.

I tried on Bell, Shoei, and HJC. It was tough because I felt like the Large was too loose and the Medium was too tight in all the brands. The mediums were so tight that I could feel the blood constricting in my face. But the Large had too much play.

So I shall keep looking.