VOG Forum banner

Fuel Pump

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rodhotter 
#1 ·
I've had my Octane for a few weeks and around 650 miles. From day one when the engine is hot, there has been a loud noise that sounds like either the air filter or fuel pump. I didn't notice it when I test rode the bike, but five miles isn't really enough to get the engine really hot. I took it back to the dealer and the service manager said it was the fuel pump and it is normal for it to run continuously at that noise level.

Is this really normal? Does anyone else's bike do the same thing?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Mine does this and a few others have noticed it. Especially when it is hot out and the engine is fully warmed up. No bad effects yet. I solved mine by putting on an exhaust and intake - now I can barely hear it. ;)

#8 ·
No, it's not the fan. My dealer said it was the valve train, but I doubt that because they don't know anything about the Octane except for how to sell it, even though it sells itself LOL.

It really was loud until I put the Biltwell Stingers on. Problem solved. I don't hear it now. I don't hear ANYTHING now LOL.

#4 ·
My fuel pump is audible as well, but I wouldn't say 'loud'. Might need a video to hear it...

I have had something happen twice now that has concerned me - just driving along and all of a sudden I hear a "THUNK!" from inside the gas tank and I feel it on my leg as if something inside moved and hit the tank. Freaks me the **** out...I dunno' if the fuel pump is moving or what, but it's so strange a sensation...

#7 ·
My fuel pump is audible as well, but I wouldn't say 'loud'. Might need a video to hear it...

I have had something happen twice now that has concerned me - just driving along and all of a sudden I hear a "THUNK!" from inside the gas tank and I feel it on my leg as if something inside moved and hit the tank. Freaks me the **** out...I dunno' if the fuel pump is moving or what, but it's so strange a sensation...
Yikes! I can see your concern.

I love the bike, but I am working through the issues: Fuel pump noise, noisy/rattly brakes, squealing (final drive belt I think), inconsistent downshifting.

My first bike was a CB1100F (before I got married), then a 25 year hiatus, then a VTX1300T. I'm a Southern California commuter and put on 11k miles a year. I like my VTX, but this bike is a BLAST!

#6 ·
Definitely NOT the fan. You can see that the fan isn't turning while the noise is present. The fan doesn't come on unless the bike is very hot and the weather is very hot. When I was asking the service manager about the fuel pump noise, I also told him I didn't think the fan ever came on. He proved me wrong by riding the bike around the block then letting it sit and idle for a while and the fan finally came on.

#12 ·
Vics have 2 piece rotors but not really "floating" unlike the EBC'S i replaced mine with, they buzzz on application + as noted floaters are said to help the pads set flat to the braking surface. it helps but bigger 4 or 6 piston units are needed on the Octane + Scout, a single uprated caliper is no xtra cost to mount + sometimes works with a stock master. my best braking bike i have now is a 2012 bonnie, about 500# wet, it has a direct mount pretech 6 piston caliper on it, stock master but the forks needed upgrading from the great braking causing excessive dive. a pair of drop in Bitubo cartridges cured that for about $500, self installed!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.