Fuel pump issue?? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Fuel pump issue??

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by Mike3699, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Mike3699

Mike3699 New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    Cross Country Tour
    I went to start up my 2013 CCT with just under 25k miles and put her up for the night and she wouldn't start. When I turned the key I immediately noticed the EFI didn't sound it's normal robust self. Much fainter, anemic really. She started up but then died as if no fuel. The engine turns over like normal and she rode fine today (I went to the ROT Rally in Austin yesterday - don't recommend this year, new owners I'm told and they don't have it figured out ). I haven't had any issues with the bike and am surprised at this development.

I have a video and audio recording but can't attach them (wrong extension and I'm not that computer savvy).

Can anyone tell me is this just a fuel pump, or something more?? Any help or info is appreciated.
    Tks,
    Mike

2. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    So when you switch on the contract it sounds different then before ? Then yes it could well be the fuel pump, can you rent or borrow a pressure regulator to check the fuel pump ?

3. Mike3699

Mike3699 New Member

Cross Country Tour
    I'll look at renting one. I'm headed out of town to check on family and will be back Thursday. I'll do it then and update you. What should the pressure read?
    Tks,
    Mike

4. BP6666VR

There you go, and it's all in the free online shop manual, did you download them already ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mike3699

Mike3699 New Member

Cross Country Tour
    Thank you. No I've not downloaded the online shop manual but will do so. Tks and I'll post when I get back and get it done.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spacecoast

Spacecoast Active Member

2016 Victory Hammer S
    My Yamaha did the same thing a few years ago....and it was a weak battery that needed to be replaced.

7. Mike3699

Mike3699 New Member

Cross Country Tour
    Ok I was finally able to get to my bike. Of course I tried to start it before I did anything and it starts like it always has before this event. Strong sounding fuel pump and cranks like it always has. I checked the battery terminals and they are on tight. The battery reads 12.58 volts when off and 14.58 when running. Could the voltage have dropped even more after riding it that day? Do you think that may have been my problem?

I didn't test the fuel pump as I couldn't figure out how to connect the tester the fuel pump with what was in the kit (it's not like the video and I tried to follow the service manual). Either way the damn thing runs for now. Any thoughts?
    Tks,
    Mike

8. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    If the bike was hot , heat soaked really hot, I had issues starting mine at a fuel stop after a few miles of stop-n-go riding in FL on our Key West trip.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Try not to run your tank on empty for long. In other words when you get to a 1/4 tank refill. Gas is what keeps the fuel pump cool. A capful of marvel mystery oil is a good lubricant too. Yes you can add it to the fuel. Low battery will also cause the weak sound from your fuel pump.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. normthenomad

normthenomad Well-Known Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    I really hate problems that fix themselves. You're always waiting for it to happen again at the worst possible time.

11. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    They really don’t fix themselves. They are the beginning of the real problem that will surface eventually. Look for corrosion. That is usually the culprit. Anything in the electrical circuit that doesn’t flow current properly will disrupt the ecu. This will result in the stall or shut down. I like many here have owned a Vic a long time. You learn to look for these issues under plug in type relays. Battery connections and ground points. Take the time one rainy day and explore. Clean with wire brush and contact cleaner. Use dielectric grease. There are also areas under the hand controls (clamshells) that can corrode from riding in the rain and from simple washing.
    When you wash your bike never spray direct water into anything electrical. I know some that never wash their bikes in whole. Usually just the wheels and around the motor. No pressure nozzle. Use an air hose at the handle bar controls to blow moisture out.

12. Mike3699

Mike3699 New Member

Cross Country Tour
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll start working on the suggested items and see what happens. If it happens it'll most likely be at an inopportune time but oh well, I won't stop riding.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    The battery should be replaced if only 12.5v. Your's is awfully close and meters can vary a bit.
    I took my battery to Walmart, free service, because they have a real powersport battery drain and recharge. It was 12.5, and like manual says time to change. That was 1.5 yrs ago and no problems since.

Auto zone and O'Reilly said battery was fine. Neither had a powersport battery drain. They only had the one for full size batteries. Just a thought. Took me 3 days and lots of repetition to figure out that issue. Lesson learned.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spacecoast

Spacecoast Active Member

2016 Victory Hammer S
    "The battery reads 12.58 volts when off"
    That means almost nothing. You are reading voltage under zero load, and even a bad battery can push 12.5 volts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BP6666VR

Also note, if the center cel of the battery is half fried, the battery tender still says your battery is good, but of course it's not

Can you bring your battery to a battery shop and do a CC (crank rating) then you can see if it's still good or bad, if bad your at the perfect play to bring a new one home, ha ha

• Like Like x 1