VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Victory Kingpin Tour is a true work of art, but it should also be functional. Can anyone tell me why Victory would not include a fuel gauge with a "touring" bike? Using the odometer to gauge mileage is a poor substitute and a wooden dipstick for the tank is out of the question.
If I buy a Harley instead of a Victory, it will be because of the lack of a fuel gauge, so does anybody know of any aftermarket fuel gauge that can be purchased for this bike?
Also, does anyone know what kind of mileage to expect from a 2009 Victory Kingpin Tour?
Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts

The trip odometer works fine for me. I have 34k on my 04 pin and couldn't be happier. My old electriglide didn't have a fuel guage either.
Just reset the trip when you fill up.
I wouldn't ride 2nd best just for a fuel guage.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Agree, trip odometer!! Don't trust the idiot light or a fuel guage on any bike. Has never let me down!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here, Here !!!!!!!

I reset my trip odometer at every fuel stop. On my '07 with old stage 1 and slip on's I was up to 42 mpg(around 160 mi. per tank).

Now with my Stage 3 and drag pipes I am averaging around 38 mpg. A lot depends on the outside temp. My bike seems to run better when it is cold(under 65). But gets better mpg when the temp is above 65.

I am just kinda weird about mpg. Have checked every tank through the bike for the entire 6700 miles on it.

Rog

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback concerning the lack of a fuel gauge on the Kingpin Tour and the gas mileage. I tried to imagine driving one of my cars and having to watch the odometer to let me know if I'm about to run out of gas. Not having a fuel gauge just seemed strange to me, but apparently I stand alone with my opinion.So, maybe I need to rethink it.

·
Registered
60 Posts

My pin gets better mileage on hot days too.
Have got over 50 mpg a number of times.
Gets around 40 mpg on cold days. With stage 1 on 92inch.
Now stage 3 100 inch 11:1 it gets 35 to 50 depending on tenp and
right hand. Start looking for gas at 150 miles and I've never ran out.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

my 99 had a gallons left info as well as a voltmeter. I miss those options, but in the 37,000+ i've put on my new bike I've not once ran out of gas. I'm also one of the lucky ones that's averaging 185+ to a tank with many in the upper 190's with my 92ci with stage 1.
I wouldn't avoid a bike because it doesn't have a fuel gauge, but than again one of the reasons I didn't buy the Vision was because of non LED tailights.

·
Registered
119 Posts
nwrider said:
Now stage 3 100 inch 11:1 it gets 35 to 50 depending on tenp and
right hand. Start looking for gas at 150 miles and I've never ran out.
Funny how my right hand effects my mileage also with the Stage 3 kit! Hmmmmmmm....Wonder if it's related?! LMAO!!!!!!!!!! But it ran like a raped ape this morning when the air temp was 40 up here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK..some valuable news and maybe a heads up! I was chatting with a man from my home state of Nevada, and he was checking gas pumps for accuracy. He told me if I were paying and pumping premium fuel(92 octane) that unless it was a multi-hose outlet, I in most cases would not get THAT premium fuel unless I pumped at least 3 or more gallons of that fuel primarily because it takes at least that to pump through the pumps system from a one hose 3 grade of fuel, pump! Makes sense to me, so I thought I might pass this info along He told me also that he does check for octane levels but pumps at least 5 gallons of fuel to be tested before testing is done to make sure the fuel is what is is.... I ran out of gas on my KP at 148 miles but running 80 MPG here in Nevada and the fuel Low Flash came on at 145 (I have the new digital speedo) and it didn't take long after that and I was sputtering!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
newsom said:
The Victory Kingpin Tour is a true work of art, but it should also be functional. Can anyone tell me why Victory would not include a fuel gauge with a "touring" bike? Using the odometer to gauge mileage is a poor substitute and a wooden dipstick for the tank is out of the question.
If I buy a Harley instead of a Victory, it will be because of the lack of a fuel gauge, so does anybody know of any aftermarket fuel gauge that can be purchased for this bike?
Also, does anyone know what kind of mileage to expect from a 2009 Victory Kingpin Tour?
Thanks.
Do you happen to use a GPS?,perhaps a Zumo?? If so remember it has a buit in fuel gage.
Over all ther are so many things that could be "standard" on a bike but what would the cost be? The warning light and trip odo works for me but then I also use my Zumo. I usually stop to stretch every (at the most) 120 miles and will automatically top off.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

I ZUMO. It has a fuel gauge feature that works quite well. I have mine set at the conservative side so it usually goes off around 120 mi. (Bout 1/2 tank normally).
Most of my riding is in the twisties so after about that long, I am ready for a break anyhow.
You can set it for however many miles you want. After the gas gauge notifies you you are low on gas, you can then touch pad the screen and it will find you several nearby gas stations! Nifty feature if you don't know where you are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just stepped up to the KP Tour from an 04 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic. I loved that bike and there are things i miss about it such asclock and fuel gauge functions in the speedo head. However, the things i've gain far outweigh the losses. The looks, the, power (even in stock form, the stage 2 gets put on this weekend) and the sheer feel of the bike! And the compliments. I can't get over those.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

If you wind up witha Garmin gps (I think they all have the feature)just set the gas guage and it will pop up on the screen to advise you you are low on fuel.
One of the days/tanks I ran through my KP while at Daytona netted me about 41.5 mpg. The humidity must have helped.

·
Registered
671 Posts
i have had a lot of diffrent bikes over the years some with some with out i've always went by the milage or trip meter so not having a fuel gauge does'ent bother me in the least so to buy or not to buy a bike because of a fuel gauge there are more inportant things to consider than that !!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
For the Harley people out there, I was talking to a friend of mine that owns a Fat Boy. He said he had the dealerinstalled an aftermarket guage on his bike. He is trying to dig up the info on it and send me some pics but do any of you know who might make it for HD?

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
This is, to say the least, an interesting thread. Hey Factory, are you listening?

My first thought that yes, in the 21st Century, if a manufacturer is pitching a bike as being "Tour Worthy," it seems that a fuel gauge should be included as standard equipment. Just having bags and a windshield does not make a touring bike. End of Story.

For those of us who've been riding for many years, remember the old way of checking the fuel level? I used to removed the gas cap and move the bike side to side to HEAR the gas level. If there was a "sloshing" sound, the bike had gas. If there was no slosh, then it was time to fill-up.

But bikes were much smaller then and while I can't speak for others, I do remember "walking" my bike a mile or two in the past to get it to a gas station.

Boy, I wish those old bikes would have included a gas gauge!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
dsjr70 said:
For the Harley people out there, I was talking to a friend of mine that owns a Fat Boy. He said he had the dealerinstalled an aftermarket guage on his bike. He is trying to dig up the info on it and send me some pics but do any of you know who might make it for HD?
On one of my old H-Ds with dual gas caps, H-D offered an optional gas cap with built in gauge. It wasn't 100% accurate, but once you got used to it's characteristics, it was a good indicator of how much gas remained in the tank. If memory serves me correctly, it replaced the left side cap.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Andy said:
On one of my old H-Ds with dual gas caps, H-D offered an optional gas cap with built in gauge. It wasn't 100% accurate, but once you got used to it's characteristics, it was a good indicator of how much gas remained in the tank. If memory serves me correctly, it replaced the left side cap.
I have a similar setup to that on one of my Suzuki's. But he was telling me that they actually took the tank off and ran some wires? But to get to your other point, I dont mind not having a guage on a bike that has a reserve so if your riding down the road you get that little sputter and then switch it to reserve then get gas. If my Vegas had that I wouldn't need the guage.

·
Registered
917 Posts
sadie55044 said:
Here, Here !!!!!!!

I reset my trip odometer at every fuel stop. On my '07 with old stage 1 and slip on's I was up to 42 mpg(around 160 mi. per tank).

Now with my Stage 3 and drag pipes I am averaging around 38 mpg. A lot depends on the outside temp. My bike seems to run better when it is cold(under 65). But gets better mpg when the temp is above 65.

I am just kinda weird about mpg. Have checked every tank through the bike for the entire 6700 miles on it.

Rog
That's exactly my routine. I can tell accurately how much fuel I have, or more importantly how much farther I can go until I need fuel by looking at my odometer. I used this method on my last bike that had a quirky fuel gauge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.