VOG Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just baught the chrome grill (Christmas Present) to finish off the look.The instructions say to remove all the body parts and the fairing to complete the install but has any one ever tried and been sucessful in removal and installation without removing the fairing from the bike?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Well, I dont know about the grill, but I followed the instructions for the Gatlin tips and after I got the one side done I realized all I needed to do was loosen the muffler clamps, rotate 15 degrees and use an open end wrench on the top bolt.
So their instructions aren't really the greatest.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Almost everything an instruction book or manual tells you to do can be sidestepped slightly. Its why Techs make out pretty good the 2nd (or 3rd or..) time around when doing something. The book hours might say 3.0 but most techs can do it in 1.1 after they have done it a few times.
Book time on replacing a Mercedes SL convert top says 12 hrs. I have it down to 6.
Just go slow and easy and im sure it can be done.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Clubford00 said:
Almost everything an instruction book or manual tells you to do can be sidestepped slightly. Its why Techs make out pretty good the 2nd (or 3rd or..) time around when doing something. The book hours might say 3.0 but most techs can do it in 1.1 after they have done it a few times.
Book time on replacing a Mercedes SL convert top says 12 hrs. I have it down to 6.
Just go slow and easy and im sure it can be done.
No Dean, you are just good........

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just a bit of follow up. SoI tried installing the front grill without following the steps provided by Victory which called for complete removal of the front fairing. I managed to remove and install the right side grill without problem and only took a few minutes. The left side was a different story. I managed to remove the left side grill but installing the new one with the fairing still on the bike proved just too difficult. I just couldn't get the new grill to fit into place so I ended up removing the fairing as per instructions. No big deal, it just takes a bit longer.
If there was anything I gained from this little excersize it was that I finnally freed up my sticky mirrors so they move the way they should, should they need adjusting. I just put a little white (lithium) grease on the convex surfaces while I had the mirrors off. Works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.