VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all...

My front brakes are squeaking...maybe it’s just me but it seems like it started shortly after the 21” wheel swap...it’s driving me nuts!!

Bike only has 1200 miles...yikes!

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
During applying them, or constantly?

Front?

Rear?

One dragging?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Very carefully, apply some high temp bearing grease (molybdenum) to the back of the brake pads. Put it on the perforated backing piece on the pad. This will dampen the vibration from the pad causing an audible frequency (noise).

BE SURE TO NOT GET ANY OF THE GREASE ON THE PAD ITSELF!

Also, when installing the pads be sure all the spring fittings are in-place, the pads are seated all the way up (I know sounds remedial but I rode 'round for months before I found the both front pads, on the inner pads, were out of the upper slot), and lastly be sure yer bearings are GOOD. I had a problem with a rear brake once... whenever I did ANY work on the rear (tire change, brake pad change,...) the rear would squeal (more like groan) after reassembly. I used the grease trick most times to eliminate the noise. Eventually, like after 30kM, I found the rear bearings were BAD! Now mind ya, I'd had the bike into a shop to fix the squeal a coupla times. Also, I was goin' through rotors and pads like crazy before I found the problem.

Audible frequencies are indications of mechanical play (somethin's loose).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
During applying them, or constantly?

Front?

Rear?

One dragging?
Sorry, here are the specifics...

Front brakes

It squeaks at slow speed braking...more like when I come to a stop but slowly...if I grab a handful then no squeak but when it's more of a gentle pull just enough to stop gradually then that's when it squeaks...

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Sorry, here are the specifics...

Front brakes

It squeaks at slow speed braking...more like when I come to a stop but slowly...if I grab a handful then no squeak but when it's more of a gentle pull just enough to stop gradually then that's when it squeaks...
Stock pads or EBC pads ?
Is the soft backing plates still in place ?

EBC pads are a bit noisy at 5 miles an hour.... I changed to Llyndals

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock pads or EBC pads ?
Is the soft backing plates still in place ?

EBC pads are a bit noisy at 5 miles an hour.... I changed to Llyndals
Stock pads..

The crazy part is the there was no squeaking whatsoever prior to the wheel swap...all I did was remove the 2 bolts on each caliper and set it aside...didn't touch the pads, they never came out ..??

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Stock pads..

The crazy part is the there was no squeaking whatsoever prior to the wheel swap...all I did was remove the 2 bolts on each caliper and set it aside...didn't touch the pads, they never came out ..??
You've introduced some extra mechanical play (some how).
Try the grease on the backin' plates... it's worked for me lots of times.

• Winner
Reactions: jsiegelaar

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You've introduced some extra mechanical play (some how).
Try the grease on the backin' plates... it's worked for me lots of times.
I'll give that a try for sure and report the outcome.

Thank you Dave!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.