Frame Flex | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Frame Flex

Discussion in 'Victory Vision' started by MassiveMassis, Jul 22, 2020.

1. MassiveMassis

MassiveMassis New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Victory Vision
    Hi all, I have been struggling with a major issue for the past year on my 2011 Vision.

I ride it hard in turns and it has been the best bike for rigidity and stability until recently.
    It feels as if the frame is flexing, like a Harley or tube steel frame bike, but this aluminum pod setup has been perfectly rigid until now.

It feels like the bike is bending in half when I am in a turn, especially with any undulations like crossing over an overpass where there are transitions from asphalt to concrete and it has variations in the plane of the road.

So to eliminate many questions, here are the things I've already done:
    1. New Tires
    2. New rear Penske shock
    3. Rebuilt front forks.
    4. Torqued the swingarm
    5. Checked axle torque

Here are suspect areas:
    1. Wheel bearings
    2. Swingarm bearings
    3. Steering head bearings
    4. Cracked frame

The only damage to the bike was when a kid backed into it and pushed it up over a curb I was parked into, and because it climbed the curb, when if fell over the tipovers did not stop it as normal, and it landed on the fairing and broke some parts, including the "bridge" between the rear handles, under the seat, and some cosmetic areas of plastic. I can't imaging the impact cracked the frame, but insurance covered the repairs at a Victory dealership, probably 4 years ago, and I did not notice this problem til about year ago, not after any incident either. (See attached image)

I have 50,000 miles on it and I love the bike, but it scares the hell out of me on those turns now.
    The one turn that I use to test it is an onramp that suggests 45mph, but I have always pegged it at 90mph and it is solid as a rick, til now. I can currently only take that onramp at about 60mph without feeling like the bike is going to buckle underneath me.

Any ideas, things to look for?
    I have it at the dealer again so they are looking it over but while it's there I want to inspect any areas you might think of.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    I would think the most likely cause would be the swingarm bearings personally, although worn wheel bearings can cause issues. I had to replace my steering head bearings on my Kingpin several years ago after an accident.. but the symptoms you are describing don't match what I saw very well. I would experience high speed wobbling.. actually anything over 65 would start an oscillation that would get worse the faster I would go. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Okie with a Vision

Okie with a Vision Active Member

2013 Vision
    I agree with kaitiff. Swing arm bushings. I would suspect them more than the head bearings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. normthenomad

normthenomad Active Member

2006 Kingpin,sold. 2006 Hammer, 2007 Hammer, 1997 Buell S1 Hammer performance 1275 crush setup.
    Thinking along t he same lines as Kaitiff and Okie, at 50,000 while you're doing swing arm bushings I'd go ahead and do wheel bearings as well.

5. BP6666VR

BP6666VR Well-Known Member

VICTORY JACKPOT 2013 & Cross Country Tour 2014
    Swing arm has Needle bearings,

6. MassiveMassis

MassiveMassis New Member

2011 Victory Vision
    So I took the bike to an authorized Victory dealer to diagnose this. He said that he thinks it's something to do with the linkage bearings for the rear shock. I replaced the air shock with a Penske and I did not replace the bearings or anything on the linkage, which he said he could do but it would be $900. It's a major pain to remove the linkage/shock setup but for $900 I'll do it again. I'll let you all know if it helped after I heal from busted knuckles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. MassiveMassis

MassiveMassis New Member

2011 Victory Vision

Here is the result of removing the linkage. This should be rigid and not flex in multiple directions. New bearings going in next week, will report back how the bike handles now, this should do it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. MassiveMassis

MassiveMassis New Member

2011 Victory Vision
    OK, I replaced the needle bearings, thrust bearings and every other moving part and stationery nut and bolt in the entire linkage. Test rode it and it felt much better so far. Will do my proper test on the roads I know well where the problem was most significant and report back. It was a pain to replace those parts but saved about $1,000.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1