VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 vegas. Had the fork seals replaced. During reassembly, it calls for the fork cap to be torqued to 50 ft lbs. The mechanic says it won’t go to 50 ft lbs. I don’t know the reason why. He then reassembled my bike anyway. Should I pay another guy to redo it or what? Thanks for all advice in advance.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I have a 2006 vegas. Had the fork seals replaced. During reassembly, it calls for the fork cap to be torqued to 50 ft lbs. The mechanic says it won't go to 50 ft lbs. I don't know the reason why. He then reassembled my bike anyway. Should I pay another guy to redo it or what? Thanks for all advice in advance.
All I can say is what an old mechanic told me years ago that I never forgot. "Tight's tight and too tight is broke".

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I did the seals on my 04 Kingpin a little over a year ago and I have the same 50 ft lb recommendation. I have crappy Harbor Freight torque wrench and got it in the ballpark; certainly not to 50 ft lbs. I've put about 8-9k on the bike since and no issues.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I talked with the mechanic and he said the cap wouldn't torque. He could feel it release as if it were stripped. Still good to ride or replace the fork cap?
First you must determine what is stripped. The cap or the fork. The cap is really just a dust and appearance cap so as long as it stays put; you're golden.

Having said that, if it was the cap that is stripped, I'd replace it if you can still find replacement parts for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.